Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: Nutmeg / Avios deal for existing clients, 20% off National Express, up to 4800 Avios with LEGO

News in brief:

Avios bonus from Nutmeg for existing customers

Last Monday we wrote about the very lucrative offer of up to 50,000 Avios from Nutmeg if you open an ISA or SIPP with them.

You can read more about that offer in this article.  You still have a couple of weeks to sign up.

If you are an existing Nutmeg customer from before 1st November, there is a separate offer if you choose to top up your existing investment.

You will receive 10,000 Avios for every £10,000 you transfer (ISA or pension transfer only) into your account.  You can earn up to 100,000 Avios!  You can transfer ISAs, SIPPs, personal pensions and most workplace pensions to Nutmeg, so long as they are not in drawdown.  They cannot cannot accept transfers of defined benefit / final salary pensions.

This top-up offer ends on 22nd December.  Full details are on the Nutmeg website here.  If you did not receive an email from them about this offer, possibly because of your marketing preferences, I would contact them first to confirm your eligibility.

Remember, as with all investing, that your capital is at risk. The value of your portfolio with Nutmeg can go down as well as up and you may get back less than you invest.  ISA and pension rules apply.

20% off National Express for HSBC customers

National Express is offering 20% off its standard fares to HSBC customers (no validation required) via this link.

You need to book by 21st December.  The Heathrow Hotel Hoppa services are not included and other restrictions apply, see the link for details.

We covered the newly expanded National Express loyalty scheme in this article in September.

Up to 4,800 Avios or 5,000 Virgin miles with LEGO

In case you missed this on Shopper Points yesterday, Tesco Direct is running a generous LEGO promotion again.

Until 17th December you will get

• 500 extra Clubcard points (1,200 Avios) when you spend £30+
  • 1,000 extra Clubcard points (2,400 Avios) when you spend £60+
  • 2,000 extra Clubcard points (4,800 Avios) when you spend £120+

Included in this offer are 335 boxes of LEGO – enough to find the right present for everyone.   Full details are in this Shopper Points article.

Comments (51)

• Scottydogg says:

With regards to the Lego , i ordered Lego last time this deal was on with the plan of selling it , i got it delivered to store and then for one reason or another i never got round to picking it up so the order just got sent back but i still got all the avios points ! result
    Might try this tactic again

• KevMc says:

Ooo, nice tip. Might put a few more orders in and try this myself.

• Mycity says:

I’d be very careful doing this, remember the article a few weeks ago about fraud.

• Genghis says:

Playing by the rules by ordering lego and not collecting it. Is that fraud? Is churning Amex cards fraud or just playing by the rules but taking advantage?
          [Tesco’s control environment is shoddy]

• the real harry1 says:

ordering Lego & not collecting it is patently NOT fraud lol 🙂

• Anna says:

Not fraud. I take it Tesco refunded the money but didn’t withdraw the Clubcard points?

• thehornets says:

O/T Have just applied for another Amex Gold. Does anyone have any recent experience of how long it will take for the card to arrive and/or how long it will take for referral points to appear on my wife’s account?

Thanks!

• Tom says:

Referred my other half for a gold from my plat recently – points posted the day her card arrived, which was two or three days after she applied (think we did the referral over the weekend).

• Alan says:

Referral points usually post within 2-3 days of card being approved.

• thehornets says:

Thankyou Alan and Tom!

• Alan says:

No probs NFL #RewardsPoints king!! 😀

• Tom says:

On this point – I made the mistake of missing the ‘s’ in #Rewardspoints.
          I didn’t type it – I selected from a list of ‘trending’ tags so I guess I’m not the only one.

• Roger C says:

O/T – Shop Small
    Going well with my cards on Oyster until TfL stopped two of my Oyster cards!

I rang up, but they were adamant that my ‘unusual’ purchasing broke their rules. The best they would offer is to pass it to the ‘Investigation Team’ with a view to refunding the stored money (and the deposits for the cards). All very well, but if the payments are reversed, then presumably I’ll lose the £5 credits.

I’m beyond angry at TfL – I can see that they might flag up the behaviour many of us will do doing as unusual, but it’s not as if there’s not a perfectly sensible explanation.

In future, I guess the trick is to stock up on Oyster cards, then use only one Amex card on each of them.

• Jonny says:

This happened to me last year (on 5 cards bought as a single batch). Process was painful but I explained what I was doing, and was able to prove all the purchases were “genuine” by providing statements.
      In the end they just provided a refund to my bank account, which was clearly a good outcome – albeit i would rather have just been able to use the Oyster cards given the hassle!

This year have been buying Oyster cards one at a time to hopefully prevent this….

• John says:

I only interact with TfL machines using cash now, and refund Oysters as soon as possible.

• Genghis says:

Been there myself with account blocked. Once sent over statements they released funds and unblocked acct.

• Renaud says:

Hi, what’s the deal with TfL/Oyster? Do the TfL machines participate in Small Shop, or do you need to buy or top-up Oyster cards in participating shops?