BA sale

£15 cashback or 1500 Avios with £100 British Airways purchase via Amex

British Airways and American Express have launched a new cashback or points deal which appears generous, especially as it can be combined with the current sale deals.

(Remember that there are Club Europe seats on offer for as low as £140 return in the January sale as I covered here.  Long-haul BA sale deals are discussed here.)

The offer only appears to be added to British Airways American Express cards, either free or Premium Plus, although it is worth checking any other cards you have.

There are two variants:

£15 cashback when you spend £100+ at ba.com by 30th January.  My wife has this version.

1,500 Avios – added to your BA Amex balance and transferred to BA with your normal Avios for card spending – when you spend £100+ at ba.com by 30th January.  I have this version.

Both offers state that they are valid for the first 20,000 people to save them to their card.  You can do this from the ‘Offers’ tab of your online BA Amex statement page, assuming you have the offer.  It isn’t clear if this is 20,000 users across both deals or per deal.

To avoid missing out, you should go to the Amex website here NOW and save the offer.  Do read the Terms & Conditions before booking.

Remember that the offer will almost certainly pay out on redemption bookings as long as the taxes are over £100.  I imagine that it will also trigger if you pay £100 towards any BA Holidays package you have booked.

It will NOT work if you buy £100 of Avios via ba.com. This is because ‘buy Avios’ transactions are purchased by points.com and you will see their name on your Amex statement.

The BA credit card surcharge is now 1% of the booking cost.  This will fall to nothing on 13th January when the law bans such surcharges.  That said, the base Avios received on your British Airways American Express card will offset the fee so the bonus Avios or cashback is still a genuine ‘extra’.

PS.  Here’s a little tip if you are close to £100 but not quite there.

It seems, at least on the version I was served yesterday, that the new BA website no longer allows you to make a small charitable donation to Flying Start or to offset your CO2 emissions.  This is annoying because it would have been a way of rounding up ticket sales which were just short of £100 – eg £96 – to trigger the cashback or bonus Avios.

However, you can still access the old British Airways website by starting your flight search here.  Use this website and you can add a charitable donation of 50p, £2.50 or £5.50 during the payment process.

Exclusive HFP competition: Win two flights to New York - and YOU pick the airline!
World of Hyatt changes announced

Comments

1. wetboy1uk says:

I don’t have this offer either. A bit disappointing. If the offer is restricted to 20,000 I don’t see why amex don’t apply it to all cards – it would make no difference to them as the offer can only be claimed 20,000 times.

• Chuckstar says:

Because they know that of the 20,000 who register only x % will convert to sales… saving them £ … they are smart

• Don’t these offers cost the company it’s for money rather than amex themselves? Other than shop small. That’s why you often don’t get the offers on a card if you’ve used that company recently.

Although I suppose it could be that BA for example pay Amex £200,000 up front for them to run the offer, so £10 per offer saved, so it would be in Amex’s interest if they weren’t all used.

• As BA Amex cardholders are very likely to spend money on BA, I get a feeling this is a sneaky way to quietly boost sale without dropping headline prices.

Also …. do you reckon BA will treat the £15 as a discount? No, they will treat it as a marketing expense and book the flight at a sale price of £100. This flatters REVPAR and other key stats which the City looks at.

2. BugAlugs says:

I seem to have missed out on all the most recent BA related offers and the last hilton offer. *soft sobbing*

3. wiggers says:

D’oh! I booked my flights to India yesterday!

4. Pieretto says:

Just added the offer (1500 Avios) to my free BA card with no issues.

5. A lot of moaning here.

Having just come off shop small (which was not targeted and open to all) which gave potentially hundreds of thousands of pounds of statement credits.

Then £200 off a £600 travel spend.

I had £5 off when buying £10 at the Post Office (half price stamps).

20% (effectively) Hilton stays.

I used a £10 off £50 at GAP recently.

Last year I got 30% off spend at Harrods.

The list goes on and on.

6. Dickie H says:

O/T query but BAPP related. I have the standard BA Amex and my card year ends soon – in 2 days’ time in fact! Having spent over £10k, but not £20k this year, my questions are: (1) is it too late to pay the £195 fee today and expect the 2-4-1 to be activated in time; and (2) when would I be stung for the next £195 fee – in 2 days’ time (i.e. beginning of the next card year), or in 12 month’s time? Thanks for any advice! My New Year’s resolution is to plan better in 2018, making good use of the excellent advice from Rob and others on this site!

• You have time – apply online for BAPP and you should be upgraded.

You won’t be charged 190 twice. Only once. You could cancel in a few weeks and get the fee refunded!

• Dickie H says:

Thanks Louise! Well, my aim is to actually keep it next year and enjoy the higher Avios earning rate at least until I’ve earned enough for another 2-4-1. But I didn’t want to get hit for two card fees in quick succession! My New Year’s Resolution is to be more organised in 2018!

• I did the same thing myself Dickie, although I cancelled the card as not going to use another 2 for 1 for a while!

7. Not got the offer on premium plus a/c. Spoke to Amex who said the 20000 must have gone…..seems unlikely to me. oh well.

8. Just tried to trigger this by booking 2 x CE to Stockholm (Avios) as separate one-way trips.

Outbound was 4 x £25 tax as you expect, so £100 triggered. On the way back, using a different Amex, the tax is only 4 x £20 due to low Swedish airport taxes, so I only got to £80. No point adding a £20 charity donation to earn 1500 Avios back and the best ‘cash and Avios’ mix was also poor value.

Obviously I am better off having saved £20 anyway but bizarrely I feel cheated! I am hoping the £100 is cumulative so I can put another RFS redemption through before 31/1.

9. Mr(s) Entitled says:

OT: I already have HH Gold status but it expires this year (Mar 18). If I apply for the Plat card and then pursue membership through that will it be extended or is my request null and void because I am already a member?

I’ve booked the Waldorf in Rome starting 6/4 so I want to try and secure status and I’d rather not be submitting my application via Plat on 1/4 should it not be processed in time.

Thanks in advance

10. BAPP & the £15 offer appears to have saved ‘ok’ to my card; booking some flights idc (although may wait until after Jan 13th) so will test it then.

11. OT – Some help, what is the cheapest way for me to get to Bali in September. Avios wise. I live in London.

• HKG, BKK,KUL and SIN all have direct flights to DPS so would look at your options based around those airports. Maybe wait a week to see if QR release a sale as they have done in the past which would save your Avios.

• Exactly. We are on a F 241 down to kul end jan. With onwards
        to dps on mas in J avios. but if a decent qr j price comes in the next couple of weeks we will cancel the 241. It happened this time 2 years ago too and lots of hfp ters did similar. Think we got to kul for £ 850 from cph that time. Not so many under £900 now tho…but still worth swopping for. Bali v easy to get to from all those cities.
        We are already waiting for this sale for an ex eu Nov trip to Asia.

• cheapest would be to use a 2-4-1 on economy at off-peak to KUL and then onwards on Malaysia, if you are really short of avios

• Thanks all. I will probably try and get to SIN, since of all those places Singapore is the only one I haven’t been to yet.