£15 cashback or 1500 Avios with £100 British Airways purchase via Amex

British Airways and American Express have launched a new cashback or points deal which appears generous, especially as it can be combined with the current sale deals.

(Remember that there are Club Europe seats on offer for as low as £140 return in the January sale as I covered here.  Long-haul BA sale deals are discussed here.)

The offer only appears to be added to British Airways American Express cards, either free or Premium Plus, although it is worth checking any other cards you have.

There are two variants:

£15 cashback when you spend £100+ at ba.com by 30th January.  My wife has this version.

1,500 Avios – added to your BA Amex balance and transferred to BA with your normal Avios for card spending – when you spend £100+ at ba.com by 30th January.  I have this version.

Both offers state that they are valid for the first 20,000 people to save them to their card.  You can do this from the ‘Offers’ tab of your online BA Amex statement page, assuming you have the offer.  It isn’t clear if this is 20,000 users across both deals or per deal.

To avoid missing out, you should go to the Amex website here NOW and save the offer.  Do read the Terms & Conditions before booking.

Remember that the offer will almost certainly pay out on redemption bookings as long as the taxes are over £100.  I imagine that it will also trigger if you pay £100 towards any BA Holidays package you have booked.

It will NOT work if you buy £100 of Avios via ba.com. This is because ‘buy Avios’ transactions are purchased by points.com and you will see their name on your Amex statement.

The BA credit card surcharge is now 1% of the booking cost.  This will fall to nothing on 13th January when the law bans such surcharges.  That said, the base Avios received on your British Airways American Express card will offset the fee so the bonus Avios or cashback is still a genuine ‘extra’.

PS.  Here’s a little tip if you are close to £100 but not quite there.

It seems, at least on the version I was served yesterday, that the new BA website no longer allows you to make a small charitable donation to Flying Start or to offset your CO2 emissions.  This is annoying because it would have been a way of rounding up ticket sales which were just short of £100 – eg £96 – to trigger the cashback or bonus Avios.

However, you can still access the old British Airways website by starting your flight search here.  Use this website and you can add a charitable donation of 50p, £2.50 or £5.50 during the payment process.

Exclusive HFP competition: Win two flights to New York - and YOU pick the airline!
World of Hyatt changes announced

Head for Points is sponsored by:

Magazine montage

Up to 30% off in Hilton's Winter Sale

Click here to find out more and book

Comments

1. Sonicjim says:

Anyone know if buying Avios via ba.com will trigger the reward?

• Lewis King says:

I don’t believe it will as they are processed by points.com(?)

• the real harry1 says:

correct – no good for ‘naked’ points purchase

but will work when you buy a reward flight and opt to ‘buy’ points ie Avios + Money option – as that is processed by BA, same as paying for any flights normally

that’s how I’m getting 20,000 Avios @ 0.725p/ point next week

2. Is there a way to get notified of the new Amex rewards being published? Or do you just have to check the app on a daily basis?

3. I’m sick of not getting any offers on my gold card anymore. I used to get lots and have spoken with Amex about it to no avail. I think it’s yime to cancel the card and just us my IHG premium or Virgin Atlantic ones. I’m not paying £140 a year when I can earn more points on another card.

4. Slightly OT – but Amex offers related. The latest Hilton offer (£50 off £250 check out transaction) is working for multiple transactions on advance bookings, rather than as per the T’s&C’s.

This isn’t unusual of course, but I know people often wonder.

5. EvilDoctorK says:

I have the 1500 point flavour , but when I try to save to card I get – “Sorry, we are unable to save this Offer to your Card. Please try again later.”

Anyone else ?

6. Are you sure you cannot make the charity donation on the new site? I booked flights to Florence last month and added a small donation like I always do. I’m virtually certain it was the new site unless it diverted during the booking process.

• the real harry1 says:

I had the charitable donation option 2 days ago & didn’t pursposely navigate to the old site either

but I’ll take the info @ face value, probably it was luck of the draw as regards search engine

• You couldn’t yesterday, although it is possible BA is still serving up different pages as a trial.

7. I need a hire car in Washington DC in August but BA are quoting nearly £300 for the car I want versus £180 with Budget! Need to think of something else for my spend.

• Driving in Washington is crazy! There will be a one way fee if you are dropping it off in a different state.

• The driving will be in Virginia only!

• We only drove in to Washington from Richmond and drove straight to the hotel which was a nightmare – took the car out to Gettysburg next day and rather than pay a 2nd night of expensive parking fees took the car back to Avis at Union Station early – absolute total chaos driving around the station – couldn’t find the Avis place because it is up a ramp at the side of the Station with no signs – had to ask a policeman while we were stuck in traffic.

Budget may hit you with a one way fee at the end of the trip. This happened to a friend of mine at the end of a Canadian Rockies trip so check all the fees carefully. Avis charge them upfront.

• We’re collecting at Dulles and leaving at Ronald Reagan – I will check the small print for fees! I’ve booked a Hampton Inn a few miles outside DC which has free parking and breakfast as the city hotels charge a fortune for both. We’ll probably get the train into DC a couple of times for sightseeing. Hoping to go to Gettysburg as well ????.

• Gettysburg absolutely worth a visit – we spent most of the day there.

8. It must be targeted because I don’t have this offer in any of my cards (BA, PlatAmEx, or SPG).

I really hate having to log in and opt in to offers. I wish they ran like Chase (US) cards where the offers change and land on the card in bulk after a single “activate” click.

• Not on any of mine either.

• Sadly, also don’t have this offer.

Would be quite handy for booking flights for next Christmas!

• Not on mine – but I have spend £600 at Amex Travel get £200 back on the Plat Charge Card – and spend – and spend £200 get £50 back on Plat Credit Card.

9. Chris L says:

Does anyone know if this will work for seat selections? I’m flying CW back from SFO and am unfortunately I don’t have BA status so they want to charge me at least £85/seat (I’m travelling with my wife) for the privilege.

On that note, does anyone have any seat recommendations. It’s the Super High J 747. Is the upper deck best?

• Nicola walton says:

Off topic but just seen my Club Accor has been downgraded to Gold!

• Hi Chris – we’ve flown back from SFO CW a number of times on the 747. Upper deck is definitely the best – quiet, spacious and more attentive service due to the small amount of seats in the cabin. 64A and 64B are the best seats – 64A has lots of space around it so feels fantastic.

• Chris L says:

Thanks Matt, unfortunately there aren’t any pairs of seats together on the upper deck any more 🙁 do you have any advice on lower deck seats? Should we go for a middle pair or go for 2 at the side?

• Hi Chris,

My wife and I flew to Jo’burg recently in Club World. I’m pretty sure it was the 747 (I fly a lot and they merge into one!). We flew out in the 2 in the middle, which was nice to be side by side. We had the final row in CW, so we both had aisle exits. On the return the only option together was the side. I had the aisle seat (wife had the window) but as we were not in the final row, the passenger in the row in front of me had to exit over my legs. As it was a night flight and said passenger was shorter, they struggled to vault over my legs and woke me a number of times (night flight). Equally, my wife had to step over a set of sleeping legs too.

10. Optimus Prime says:

Neither my wife nor myself have this offer 🙁

11. Damn it, the offer is there on my wife’s BAPP (I’m currently in-between cards, waiting for 6 months), and I have a large BA holiday balance to pay off so could easily pay £100.

However, she only has £70 to go to trigger her 2-4-1 voucher, and I want to wait a couple more months before I trigger that as I won’t need it until late 2019 at the earliest.

So, I can either get £15 or 1500 Avios, but reduce the life of my 2-4-1, or miss out.

• Having been careless about when a 241 was triggered, I strongly advise you to forgo the £15/1500. I ended up with a voucher that expires three months before we want to go, so had to get another by spending £10,000 in ten weeks.

• Yeah I’ve already decided not to save the offer. As nice as 1500 Avios for free is, I’d rather hang on. I’ll have more than enough Avios for my next planned redemption without needing this.

• Crikey…I struggle to spend that in one year, on one card.