Hilton

Astonishing Manchester – Auckland £1360 deal in the 48 hour Qatar Airways flash sale!

EDIT:  Manchester to Cape Town is also bookable for £1350 return

Adjusting for inflation, this is the cheapest fare I think I have ever seen from the UK to Australasia in Business Class.

Last January we had Malaysia Airlines offering London to Sydney in Business Class for £1500 but even that is beaten by this deal.  (The comments below mention a £1100 Garuda deal last year which I missed.)

Until tomorrow (14th), Qatar Airways is selling Manchester to Auckland in Business Class for £1360 return.

You won’t get this deal over the Summer school holidays in July and August but apart from that it is fairly open from April onwards until the pre-Christmas period kicks in.

As usual with Qatar Airways, the deal is one route and one route only.  Birmingham,  Dublin and Cardiff are nowhere close on pricing.  Edinburgh and London departures are about an extra £400.  There are no deals to Sydney, Canberra, Perth etc.  It is Manchester to Auckland or nothing.

These flights will earn 600 British Airways Executive Club tier points return.  That is enough for a BA Silver card although you should remember that you need to have flown 4 one-way cash BA flights in your current membership year before you are promoted.

The aircraft

Manchester to Doha is on a new Boeing 787This has the herringbone seat which I reviewed here and is very impressive.  Qatar has a special website showing off this seat which you’ll find here.

Doha to Auckland is on a Boeing 777.  You might get the new Qsuite but it is more likely that you get the older 2 x 2 x 2 layout which I reviewed here.  It isn’t great for a solo traveller but good for a couple.  And if you are complaining at £1363 then really ….

How to book

You can find out more about the flash sale here.  It ends at midnight on Wednesday.

The UK Qatar Airways booking site is here.

Hat-tip to Flyertalk for this.  I’m delighted that the Qatar Airways team in the UK, who underwrote our Christmas party, will finally see some revenue from HFP readers going through their own P&L 🙂

Earn up to 120,000 Radisson Rewards bonus points with new promotion - but with a catch
It's back - Get up to 80,000 Avios when you open an ISA or SIPP via Nutmeg

IHG
IHG

Comments

1. Great price, no desire to go down under but if anyone does they should jump on this!

2. I’m actually sat here trying to come up with reasons to go to NZ just to take advantage of this offer! Regrettably my two pals that lived out there have now returned….still – I may just do it nonetheless!

• We too are trying hard to find an excuse.. but booked the QR last sale CPH PEN to bring OH to Sri Lanka for the cricket in November. So sadly can’t cancel it and jump on this one. Its such a fab price..any excuse will do really!

• Hingeless says:

I can think of many reasons to go to NZ! I go for weekend breaks from Sydney quite often, would live to go for longe.

3. Rob – I am not sure if there is an issue my side (there shouldn’t be) but those links about both the sale and the booking page do not appear to be working……?

• Work fine on my iPhone. Some corporate networks have an issue with our link management software.

4. Not to take away from how stellar this deal is, but Garuda were down below £1100 for LHR-CGK-MEL return just 18 months ago (I know because I went!)

5. Isn’t Doha to Auckland currently the world’s longest flight?

6. I love these Auckland deals. My family live in Sydney so I always connect to the LATAM 787 service from Auckland to Sydney and then the first Qantas flight out Sydney to Auckland connects to the return. It’s not much extra travel all considered. Amazing this is from Manchester – great price!

7. Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Worth reminding that the free overnight hotel stay offer is still going until 31st December 2018. Unfortunately Premium passengers no longer get an upgraded hotel though. https://www.qatarairways.com/en-gb/offers/plus-qatar.html

8. Adrian says:

Fantastic price, i was delighted with £1700 from OSL last year, NZ is a beautiful place for anyone who wants to go and these are BKK prices!

9. Brandon says:

Shame the amazing pricing is only until the end of November 🙁

• You will rarely see a deal like this over Christmas from Qatar.

• Morgan says:

Out of the UK that’s true. For 2016, 2017 and now Xmas 2018 my family are averaging around £1750 per ticket out of ARN or OSL.

10. John Waters says:

Hi Rob, following your article last year we did the Stockholm to Auckland trip with Qatar in October – fantastic. So we are interested in doing it again this year. However we are not getting the fares anywhere as low as you are indicating. Is there a promo code and a minimum stay requirement, as last time?

• Use google flights – it’s pretty easy to find dates on there. Then you can click through to Qatar’s website to confirm the prices.

• Adrian says:

Just put the dates in google flights and you can see the prices by day, there appears to be good availability through LGW. MAN is cheaper as Rob says.

• Might be a 7 day or Sun night stay. Try a few more options, Sep is wide open.

11. Morgan says:

Thanks for the heads up. I had been looking at LHR to HKG which is showing at £1400pp.

i’ve now booked to go home via LHR-AKL for £1700pp for mid/end Nov.

12. Weird travel plan, but is it possible to book it and then can the rtn segment whilst in NZ (rather than simply no show)? Going by the Business Promo fare, it looks like it would be possible to do that and thus pay £680 for the outbound leg and forfeit £380 (cane fee is in USD) thus travelling in Biz class o/w (which suits me at present) for £1100 approx?

13. Dwadda says:

The Doha to Aukland leg is currently the longest flight in the world… Soon to be eclipsed…

14. Alistair Horne says:

Ive just said to the wife that I need to go to Auckland for work for a day. We have 3 children under 3 and I would be quite happy to fly there and turn around and come straight back again. I’d see it as 2 days sleep.

It didn’t work.

• 3 under 3. And you’re looking for someone to blame?

(should have kept it in your trousers!)

• It sounds like you consider a one year difference in average as too short (which should be none of your business). You might want to consider other possibilities including twins, triplets, foster children, adoption, divorce and death of a partner.

15. Excellent deal! Some other good ones too. I got Sofia-Singapore for £1200 in Feb/March 2019

16. Doug M says:

Is that a little dig at Qatar. They’ll pay for a party but won’t tip you off in advance for an offer like this 🙂

• No, the Qatar people are delighted that you all fly them but would be happier if a few more flights originated in the U.K.!

• Morgan says:

If they kept their R class pricing at these levels they would get 100% of my Asia and Australasia business out of London!

• JamesR says:

I wonder if the Qatar UK people would be prepared to pay an extra grand or two for the UK departure privilege when they go on their holidays.

I dont blame them for the prices though… Im sure they would make it as low as Europe if they could…

• Hingeless says:

I wish they had some offers in the other direction

17. Never any good deals ex Dub!

18. MAN-CPT £1350 in November – yes please.

19. John G says:

Lol, now I suddenly feel ripped off having paid the same from ARN a few months back! Golden times.

20. So what value on an avios (or any points scheme) with fares like this?

• Minimal, but BA doesn’t fly to Auckland anyway …. (technically, 300000 Avios + £750 to Sydney so if you use that as your basis you are getting 0.2p per Avios and that is before you adjust for the Avios earned and the fact Qatar is simply better than BA).

• Hingeless says:

A million miles better, flew both last week, BA should take some tips from their main shareholder. Especially the crew who don’t care any more in J.