Bits: Avios platform announcement, grab a bargain Harry Styles, good Enterprise / Miles & More deal

News in brief:

Avios platform announcement this week?

EDIT 7am: this is now confirmed on avios.com, exactly as I speculated

We may get an announcement this week about the long-delayed restructuring of the avios.com platform.

There are a lot of moving parts, but what is rumoured is that avios.com will close as a standalone platform.  You will no longer have an avios.com account – you will only be able to have accounts with one of the airline partners.

You may have noticed that the avios.com website has been looking a little abandoned recently:

• the Laithwaite’s wine deal closed 10 days ago but is still being promoted even though the landing page is dead
  • the opposite has happened with the new Economist offer of 13,200 Avios – the Avios landing page only shows 4,400 until you click through.
  • the Lloyds Avios credit cards are still being promoted although they are no longer available online

avios.com will not be going away, however.  Instead, the website may (or may not) become – like milesandmore.com – the place where you go to check your balance and redeem your points, with redemption stripped from the airline sites.  Aer Lingus and Vueling already operate like this, so it is ‘only’ a question of changing British Airways, Iberia, Meridiana, kulula.com and LEVEL.  I’m not sure how Flybe would be treated.

This is still very much speculation, however.  For clarity, this is not a devaluation and no-one will lose out, although there may be an impact on avios.com partners who are exclusive to that platform.

Avios platform changes

Get yourself a cheap Harry Styles

EDIT: all tickets gone!

SPG Moments, the Starwood Preferred Guest auction site, has failed to sell all of its Harry Styles tickets for Wednesday and Thursday at the O2 in London.

The remaining pairs were available last night for just 5,000 SPG points per pair (or 15,000 Marriott points if you move them to SPG).  This is an exceptional deal – you can eat and drink your way through more than the value of the points during your evening in the SPG private suite in the O2, even if Mr Styles is not your thing!

Ticket sales will automatically end at noon, but if you want any of the remaining pairs you should jump in as soon as you’ve finished reading this.  You can redeem here for Wednesday (four pairs of tickets left at midnight last night) and here for Thursday (three pairs of tickets left at midnight last night).

Interestingly, all of the Harry Styles tickets offered via the Marriott Moments site sold out at 75,000 Marriott Rewards points per pair.  If you go, don’t tell anyone how many points you used or it could offend …..

This is Anika’s review of seeing a concert from the SPG Suite.

Miles & More Enterprise promotion

Miles & More launches decent Enterprise car and van promotion

Lufthansa’s Miles & More programme has launched a new offer with car rental group Enterprise.  It is also valid with Alamo and National if those brands are available where you are travelling.

It is a decent deal:

• Valid on reservations made from 1st April to 30th June 2018 for rentals completed by 31st July 2018
  • Vans: 2,500 miles for rentals of 1 or 2 days and a 5,000 miles for rentals of 3 days or more
  • Cars: 1,000 miles for rentals of 1 or 2 days; 2,000 miles for rentals of 3 to 6 days and 3,000 miles for rentals of 7 or more days

You can find out more on the Miles & More website here.

We travel on the inaugural Eurostar service to Amsterdam!
Leeds Bradford to open THREE new airport lounges this week

Comments

1. From reading the FAQ, you can spend on Flybe but not earn through BAEC unless it’s a BA codeshare which for domestic non-connecting flights are rarely codeshares. Does leave open the possibility of a another new programme from Flybe or will earnings on Flybe eventually be scrapped?

2. Totally OT but as bits – HH Gold – apparently I can get extra points or free breakfast in some hotels. How do you tell them which one you want? Just thinking if you check in online and use the digital key you may never speak to the reception staff.

• Peter K says:

I imagine if you don’t ask they’ll give you the points as it’s cheaper for them. I find it’s worth asking for the free drink etc as quite often they’ll give you the points as well.

• paulm says:

In the app so you can set your preferences for each hotel brand. Called my way benefits

• You can also set your preferences / my way benefits by logging in to your Hilton account on their web-site if you don’t have the app.
      I don’t know know if this works for existing bookings or only those booked after you have updated your preferences though.

3. How will the avios closure affect redeeming for aer lingus lower taxes flight? The avios site seems to be only pointing to moving points to BAEC so will points sitting there still be usable via BAEC call center for AL flights?

4. Also wondering this. Have Hilton stays booked through avios.com up to December 2018, the last of which probably won’t post until Q1 19.

5. OT: for the old MBNA virgin atlantic upgrade voucher, do I have to be the person travelling or can I use it for someone else? Thanks

6. Louie says:

Am I too late to set up a household Avios.com account (as a way of moving Avios between hubby and me)? I can’t see any links to set one up on the Avios.com site (obviously that would be no surprise but you never know….).

7. OT: Upgraded my partner from Gold to Plat, but got the “we’ll get back to you within 10 days” message rather than a straight success.

Is this normal?

• Graham Walsh says:

That is sometimes the case. The cards should just arrive in the post in the next few days. That is what happened when I applied for SPG the other week.

• I had this for my wife but its now been over 10 days… she’s had Amex cards fine before. Have others had this before? In terms of just being dropped of the radar and hearing nothing back about the application

• mark2 says:

I applied for a BAPP on 27th March. As normal it was deferred, but normally the card arrives after 5-6 days. It seems like a long time but is only 7 business days because of Easter. I hope that it arrives soon as I need to earn a 241 before October.

• Crafty says:

We too have a surprisingly long delay over the same period. Hopefully nothing untoward.

• I applied for the Gold Card 2 wks ago and hadn’t heard a thing. Phoned them this morning and was told I have been accepted and will receive the cards in 3 days time. No referral pts have posted or emails received yet.

• Just to update – Plat showed up in the app this morning.

8. 1DES1 says:

O/T – I currently have a Curve Mastercard. I have been reading on this forum that I am best to convert this into the “Debit card” Curve which has recently been made available.

I got in touch with Curve and they have offered me either the Corporate Debit Card or Personal Debit Card. Which one should I use? I had thought Corporate is better (plus I also have a company so can legitimately ask for one) but I would be grateful for confirmation.

Finally, I have nearly £11,000 in Corporate Tax due by September 2018. Which credit card should I link with Curve to maximise the benefits of this payment? I understand I will need to place multiple payments across to HMRC. I currently hold the Lloyds Avios rewards duo pack of cards, HIlton Honors Visa and the free IHG Mastercard.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

• Seems to make no difference now. Take the personal version because some companies (eg ba.com) still charge fees for using CORPORATE debit and credit cards as opposed to personal ones.

£10k would get you the 241 voucher or the upgrade voucher on the new Virgin Reward+ card, or perhaps get the paid IHG card and trigger the free night for £10k.

9. Phill says:

Any idea on what will happen to the Lloyds Avios card points, will this go directly to BA or will the card get discontinued

• FAQ says they’ll go direct to BA…

• Yorkieflyer says:

I expect they’ll set up a new BAEC account to send them across to….
        Safe bet that this whole business will be the usual BA IT shambles

10. More comments on Facebook about pax being split from family members on BA flights in all classes and having to pay to change seats. Has anyone experienced this in the last couple of weeks? I don’t really want to be seated away from my son in CW this summer, but I’m not paying £80 to change seats!

• If your son is under 12 you can’t be separated from him under CAA guidelines.

• He’s 12 but I still wouldn’t want him sitting too far away for 8 hours (nor would the people next to him as they will be expected to answer non-stop questions on current events!). There have been posts on Facebook about a parent being split up from a 4 and 5 year old so they could sit a VIP family together.

• simon says:

Do not worry about this. It would take a very very very strange person to not swap with you in this situation, if it actually happened…… My family have always been sat together in CW, thought my kids are under 12.

11. Vasco says:

Off Topic: Have you considered doing a review of S7? It’s one of OW’s most obscure airlines, I can find almost nothing about what flying with them is like.

• If they started flying UK to Moscow or St Petersburg I probably would, but it is a bit tricky otherwise. They did come up as an option when I tried to get back from Asia last year, something like China to Moscow and then changing to a BA.

• Vasco says:

They seem to have seasonal flights from DUB-DME if that makes it any easier. My curiosity is enhanced by their business class being similar to US domestic First (in the narrow body aircraft that make up the entirety of their fleet), rather than the same seat with a blocked middle seat we tend to see in European airlines.