It’s back – ‘Kids Fly Free’ on BA to/from Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Belfast and Glasgow

British Airways has launched a bigger and better version of the ‘Kids Fly Free’ offer which it has run in the past.  This is a genuinely good deal with no catches or small print.  Free means free.

From 1st June to 5th November, up to two children under 12 will fly entirely free when accompanied by an adult.

Applicable routes to or from London Heathrow are:

Leeds Bradford

Newcastle

Edinburgh

Aberdeen

Belfast

Glasgow

Inverness and Billund are NOT included this year.

There are genuinely no catches attached to this offer.

Kids Fly Free British Airways

You pay the standard lowest adult fare for your flight as shown on ba.com

The kids (under 12) are entirely free – you don’t even pay taxes

Two children can travel per adult

You can book a one-way or return flight

There are no minimum stay requirements and no ‘Saturday night’ rule

There IS a deadline for booking, which is 13th May

You can find full details at ba.com here.

The offer only works for point-to-point trips to or from Heathrow – you won’t find a trip such as Leeds – Heathrow – Berlin gets any cheaper if booked as one ticket.

Remember that children under 16 travel free on Heathrow Express now.  Given that adult tickets can cost less than £6 one-way when booked in advance, this does give the potential for a cheap family break in London.

There are also a number of restaurants at Heathrow offering ‘kids eat free’ during school holiday weeks.  Details are here on the Heathrow Airport site.

Full details are on ba.com here.

Bits: Virgin launches afternoon tea, the new BA A320neo seats, 20% off at Millennium Hotels
The Amex Plat / Marriott status answer and what else I learned at the Marriott press briefing yesterday

Comments

1. Richard says:

Rob, I love your blog and read it every day, and hope you don’t mind my pointing out that the Yorkshire airport referenced in the title of the article is Leeds Bradford, not Leeds. Keep up the good work!

• roberto says:

Blame the search engine optimization of websites and title tags. If you want traffic online (and via twitter) these are the kind of omissions that are just collateral damage unfortunately.

• I know that, having been brought up down the road, but as I have said many times – headlines have to be very short, mainly for Twitter.

2. Michael says:

Two questions I couldn’t answer in the T&Cs:

1. Is it only economy?
    2. Can you pay avois or just cash?

• vindaloo says:

The Ts & Cs don’t say this but it is Economy only. I tried last night and Business prices up with the full fare and taxes for everybody. Fair enough since the kids have to pay full APD in Business.

3. Kinkell says:

It’s disappointing that this offer excludes Inverness. In fact it’s really mean spirited of BA .

• And Manchester! Presumably they have enough paying customers on these routes.

• Luckily I can still fly EDI to LCY and foresee few pesky youngsters on this route. I’d rather have a nice flight experience, with a bit of space, and a nice glass of wine, and then take fifteen minutes or so extra time to cross London than what happened last year and the year before from Newcastle and Edinburgh: groups of children with high maintenance mothers. The worst ones are the mothers who are silver card holders. Luckily for me the punishing ends on these routes at T5. But I pity the poor business lounge. All because Cruz has a couple of sprogs himself 🙂

4. luckyjim says:

Can anyone explain why a 12 year old is not regarded as a child nowadays? It’s not just airlines.

• I have a 10 year old and in many ways she is no longer a child! Phone, money, goes shopping on Kings Road by herself, same shoe size as my wife (39) …..

• For one thing it reduces the amount of “free child places” offered by travel companies. Another way to gouge parents.

• They are offering three seats for the price of one, and still people complain?!

I suspect my wife is smaller and lighter than a number of 11 year olds. Perhaps she should qualify for a free seat too?

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

Does she have her own phone, money, and go shopping on Kings Road by herself? If yes, and she has size 39 feet, then in many ways she is not a child.

5. Nick_c says:

BA’s target market is now children? That explains the new seats 😉

I guess the profit comes from selling bags of Peppa Pig sweets.

6. Alexander says:

What if I’ve already booked flights on this route and paid for my 2-year old? Any way to recoup that?

• Nick_c says:

That’s about as likely as getting a refund on any ticket when the price drops. You enterered into a contract and presumably were happy with the price you paid.

7. Alexander says:

Thanks 🙁

8. mutley says:

A bit of good BA news! Lovely stuff, off to Carnoustie, via Edinburgh with 11 year old son, Open is free for kids under 16

9. Mr(s) Entitled says:

Fair play to BA, this is a really good offer.

Living near MAN, and with no great desire to go to London, I won’t be taking part but plenty of places on the list do interest me. If in London I’d happily book multiple trips with the kids to visit Belfast, Edinburgh, or Glasgow for cheap fun weekends away.

I’ll focus on the silver lining for others rather than the cloud for myself. Life is better that way.

10. Do kids earn TPs or Avios on their free ticket?

• Chris R says:

Yes, they do ! I’ve booked a GLA – LHR return which earns a whole 375 Avios and 15TP for all pax, children included.