Are the Lloyds Avios Rewards credit cards now fully closed to new applicants?

The Lloyds Avios Rewards credit cards were closed to new online applications on 1st March as we wrote here.

At the time, Lloyds told us that you could continue to apply via telephone or in a branch for a limited period.

That period appears to be over.  A reader tried to apply this week by telephone and in a branch and was rebuffed on both occasions.  Apparently it no longer even appears as an option on the branch IT system.

On the upside, as Lloyds made some in-branch applicants watch two videos on ‘how to use a credit card sensibly’ before they would process the application, this may be for the best ……!

I am told, however, that we may not have seen the back of these cards for good.  How Lloyds expects to compete with a £24 Mastercard earning 0.25 Avios per £1 when Virgin Atlantic now offers a free Mastercard earning 0.75 Flying Club miles per £1 is a different question.

My review of the SAA Premium Lounge at Johannesburg O.R. Tambo International Airport
When Lee won our Christmas Party raffle ....

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Chirag Bakhai says:

I applied for Lloyds card in branch on thursday and seemed to go through fine. Was told that phone applications are no longer possible but branch still ok

2. Daniel Knight says:

OT – mobile credit card readers. Cheapest is £19+vat upfront and 1.69% transaction fee. If a new BAPP was signed up and £10k put through to get the 241 am I correct with this maths…? 10000 x 1.69% is 169, plus the 23 for the card reader plus 195 Amex fee is total cost of £387. This would get 26000 sign up points, 15000 points for the £10k spend and 100000 points equivalent for the 241 equals 141000 points. Cost per point £387 / 141000 = 0.2475p. Possibly half that if the BAPP was killed in a month with a pro rate refund. Quarter penny per avios is good but is my maths?!

3. Lloyds Avios Voucher says:

Anyone knows what happens to the Lloyds Avios upgrade vouchers with Avios closing? I assume it will be converted to a BA voucher instead maybe? Ha no news however at all from Lloyds..

• Anna says:

It’s on the avios website, the voucher will go into your BA account but you’ll have to call avios.com to redeem it.

4. OK. Will have a dig into Aqua (Rewards version).

5. James says:

For those of us still with the Lloyds Duo Avios cards, will we still be able to earn the upgrade vouchers going forwards or is the transition to BA only for existing vouchers and then it’s stopping ?

• callum says:

You can still earn going forwards until they say otherwise. They’ve not given a commitment to how long that would be.

6. Alex W says:

I was rejected for plat Companion a couple of months ago. Recently applied for SPG Amex, decision was deferred but eventually approved with about 1/3 the credit limit I had last time. Possibly because have moved house and got a car on finance in December. My credit report is very good though.

• JamesB says:

My best guess is that my available credit vastly outstrips my use. I think I will probably half it before trying again. Also, I have got Sainbury and Tesco cards that I rarely use so I will likely cancel those too despite them not being a problem before.

7. Andy Morgan says:

Are the Lloyds cards still the best (cheapest) for using abroad to still earn Avios miles?

8. Richard M says:

I would imagine Lloyds closing the AVIOS duo credit card product has to do with AVIOS itself closing down shortly. What would be the point of promoting such a product any longer when it won’t exist in its current form in a few months?

With AVIOS members being transferred to BAEC, It remains to be seen what, if anything, will replace these cards. AMEX has its BA card, but there is clearly a gap for a new and better MasterCard product to compete with Virgin.