Bits: BA Doha suspension extended, double Virgin miles with Kaligo, No 1 Lounge summer offers

News in brief:

British Airways extends suspension of Doha service

The British Airways route to Doha has taken the brunt of cancellations over recent months due to the engine problems with the Boeing 787-9 fleet.

The current suspension, due to end on 1st July, has now been extended to 1st September.

The good news for anyone booked on British Airways to Doha in July and August is that you will be rerouted on Qatar Airways which should be an improvement in pretty much every respect!

Kaligo Virgin Atlantic offer

Double Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles with Kaligo.com

Virgin Flying Club members can earn bonus miles when booking a hotel with Kaligo.com.

There are two different offers depending on whether you are a new or returning customer.

• Double miles on your first booking
  • 30% more miles on all regular bookings

Remember that hotel bookings via Kaligo are treated as ‘third party’ and you will not earn hotel points or receive any status benefits on your stay.  This offer is best used if you need to book an independent hotel or one where you do not collect their points.

The Kaligo.com / Virgin Atlantic special offer page is here.  Bookings must be made by 14th July.

How to earn Virgin Atlantic miles from UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Flying Club miles from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Flying Club miles.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

No 1 Lounge discount code

No 1 Lounge Summer sale – but is it the best deal?

No 1 Lounges has launched their Summer sale.  There are three different offers which can be unlocked using the promo code SUMMER18 at checkout.

The three offers are:

• Lounge entry plus a glass of Champagne from £24
  • Upgrade to the Clubrooms at Gatwick for just £10 (usually £45)
  • Family lounging at My Lounge Gatwick with 50% off entry for children.

The pricing looks like this:

• Clubrooms at Gatwick: £38.50
  • No 1 Lounges: Birmingham and Edinburgh £24,  Gatwick and Heathrow T3 £28.50
  • My Lounge – Gatwick North: £20 per adult and £6 (usually £12) per child

Lounge access must be booked by 31st May for travel until 30th September. You can read more about the offers and book lounge access here.

In comparison, this is the Virgin Atlantic offer with No 1 Lounges we covered recently.  The special Virgin Flying Club pricing is:

• £25 – No 1 Lounges
  • £12 – My Lounge
  • £35 – Clubrooms

And you earn Flying Club miles too:

• 400 miles at Clubrooms
  • 350 miles at No 1 Lounges
  • 200 miles at My Lounge

You can only book the Virgin deal via this page of the No 1 websiteMiles are awarded per booking so you should make separate bookings for each person.

Which deal is best for you will depend on a) how you value a free glass of champagne via the SUMMER18 code and b) how you value 200 to 400 Virgin Flying Club miles.

Hilton's Waldorf Astoria hits Las Vegas as Mandarin Oriental gets rebranded
My review of the Northern Lights lounge at Aberdeen Airport - better than the BA lounge?

Comments

1. George says:

OT, but BA related: Got a CW return to SIN late June and was wondering if they’ve rolled out the new bedding, amenity kits and catering on that route. Does anyone have any information?

• There’s a thread on the BAEC forum of Flyertalk which discusses the roll out of the new CW bedding and catering etc. It suggests that SIN is bedding only. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1864629-new-club-world-service-2017-catering-bedding-experiences-reactions.html

• SIN is neither new bedding nor new food. I’m here now so this is the most recent answer!

SIN is one of the most complex to arrange and will be one of the last to get it. There are two reasons – the SYD shuffle makes the bedding arrangements difficult, and for the service the need (a legal requirement) to give crew a certain minimum rest, which would be hard with the longer new service, so they’re waiting for it to bed in (pardon the pun) on other routes first.

• P.S. the new amenity kits are actually on every route now, even those with the old bedding and service.

• Genghis says:

I find it funny the leaflet in the amenity kit says something like “your bedding today was provided by the White Company”

• Wonder what the cash value of that sentence is?

2. Jamie says:

I suppose the only negative on the BA > QR rebooking is if you are connecting at Heathrow and arrive into T5, you now need to get across to T4. Not a massive hardship and I’d say the benefits still outweigh the costs.

• Or if you’re booked in WTP and get a downgrade

• Perhaps some might argue that a move from BA WTP to QR economy is not a downgrade!
        I couldn’t possibly comment though.

3. Simon says:

O/T – Supp cards (Amex): I’ve forgotten this one, but do supp card applications leave a search on your credit file? Mine’s taken a hit recently, you see.

The reason I ask is that I somehow need 4,000 Avios in a hurry (without buying them) and my dog had suggested the Heathrow Rewards 3,000 points bonus route, but, where buying an M&S voucher for £150 used to work, I’ve now found out that this doesn’t work anymore, and also now that Travelex pre-orders don’t now seem to work either when once they used to slip though, then I see no way of getting this 3,000 bonus from HR as I have nothing I wish to spend at the airport, unless another landslide gift card route exists that I’m oblivious to and which is easily cash-out-able? 🙂

So, I thought about making a few supp card applications instead to try to get these 4,000 Avios — a BA free CC and the new Gold CC (if that works for supp card bonus points?), but I just wondered if my credit score would be hit? Just couldn’t remember.

(I did sign up for the Avios/e-Rewards 750 point bonus for the umpteenth time a couple of weeks back, but nothing has posted.)

Any help/replies greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance. 🙂

• Harpo says:

M&S voucher from M&S – or a gift card from Smiths?
      Gift cards from the retailer won’t get you HR points – gift cards from Smiths (for another retailer) did – but I confess I haven’t done it since Feb.

• Someone I know did £150 of M&S gift card recently (at M&S) and it did not trigger.

• Simon says:

Thanks, Harpo.

I don’t suppose you know if WHSmith sells M&S GCs? Or Waitrose ones?

And if Amex supp card applications attract a search on someone’s credit history?

• Simon says:

Thanks Harpo / Delbert / Hugh / Genghis – great info! (Sorry – didn’t see other comment until my first reply to Harpo. 🙂 )

Thanks all! 🙂

• Delbert says:

I don’t believe there are any supplementary card bonuses on at present, though check your offers on the AMEX site or app. You could earn the 4000 MR points in one fell swoop if you referred the BA free blue CC and the application was successful and this wouldn’t ding your credit file.

• Delbert says:

Oh, and you could also have an online chat with an agent to see if you can wangle a supplementary bonus. Highly unlikely but if you don’t ask you don’t get.

• I asked an agent using online chat if I would get a bonus and was told no! I applied anyway (BAPP Card) on Monday night this week, 3000 points posted on Tuesday morning and the card arrived on Thursday!

• Genghis says:

Supp cards do not leave a hit. There’s de facto bonuses on MR card (5k Plat, 3k Gold (charge for sure, credit never tried and no one reported anything)) and Avios (3k, BA Blue 1k(? I think)) for adding a supp (only get it once per card). Also a de facto upgrade BA Blue to BAPP for 6k IIRC?

• Andrew says:

There is a little trick that I discovered by accident…

WDF are unable to recredit American Express cards when items are returned. Or at least weren’t able to recredit Amex accounts earlier this year.

So if you return anything, the credit has to go to Visa or Mastercard instead (debit or credit).

• WDF — is this World Duty Free, Andrew?

And, if yes, are there any outlets landside? (I do appreciate that this will likely be a contradiction in terms, but in case I’m missing out on something! I have no opportunity to be airside any time soon, you see. 🙁 )

4. Lumma says:

OT but how long would people wait to contact AMEX if an offer didn’t trigger. I know the email usually comes through straight away but nothing yet

• Peter K says:

You don’t always get an email. I’d leave it a week but the new chat service basically says “it’ll turn up, don’t worry, Wait 90 days (or whatever the terms of the offer are)”.

• Lumma says:

I’ll keep an eye on it, I know I once did complain about a credit not arriving (I think it was the year Harrods was on the shop small list), they manually credited it and months later I got a random extra £5 statement credit

5. OT: Travelling to LA on BA WT in a couple of weeks. Got rebooked to an earlier flight as BA were cancelling my original flight. Noticed that I’m still on WT for the booking but my MTB says that I’m due to receive 90 TP for a WT round trip to LA?
    Not sure if this is a bug or perhaps some sort of compensation from BA for rebooking? Had a look at the TP calculator and 90TP is the amount of TP I’d expect to get flying WTP.
    I’ve never heard of BA being so generous to increase TP from rebooking flights.

• Lumma says:

WTP is 90 tier points each way to LA not round trip. Saying that though, none of the economy options total 90 points return either. It is just direct London to LA with no connections?

• I’ve managed to figure it out. Originally had O tickets but my outbound flight got rebooked onto Y so I managed to get a Y outbound for 70TP and a O inbound for 20TP totalling 90.

A free ‘upgrade’ from this rebook I guess?

• Lumma says:

A bit of a result it would seem, even if the tier points won’t change next year’s status, presumably there’s a fair few more avios coming your way too.

6. Jovanna says:

Lloyds cancelled my both my Amex and MasterCard Avios cards again this week due to the security breach at the back end of last year.

They also cancelled both cards last year. However, they didn’t tell me this time. I only discovered that they’d cancelled the cards when I received an email from Spotify notifying me that the payment for my monthly subscription had failed. Called Lloyds on Wednesday and they explained the position.

The letter notifying me of the cancellation arrived this morning. No sign of the new cards yet.

7. KBuffett says:

OT – is the BA erewards Avios portal for collecting points whilst shopping online closing when Avios closes?

• No, it remains but with a smaller collection of stores because of non-compete deals BA has with other partners.

8. OT what does this mean on my PRGC membership rewards statement?

PRG MR Message Bonus – 12 months + 10 grace days statement

9. Combat Johnny says:

Is it just me or was BA’s website down all day yesterday?