Save 20% on almost all hotels, everywhere via an Aer Lingus AerClub promo!

AerClub is the Avios-based reward scheme for Aer Lingus, BA’s sister airline.  The ability to pay for hotels (and car hire and experiences, but we’re focusing on hotels here) has just been introduced to AerClub.

AerClub has been running an interesting offer.  You can save 20% on all hotels bookings made using Avios – or, more interestingly, part cash and part Avios.  You must book by 19th July but can stay until 31st December 2018.

You can find out more on the AerClub site here.

This deal has been implemented in a slightly odd way which makes it good value for using Avios – but very good value for using cash!

When you use Avios to book a hotel, you are given a number of options.  One is ‘all Avios’.  The last is usually ‘1000 Avios plus a lot of cash’.  There are few options in the middle.

Because the ‘all Avios’ option has been reduced by 20% under this promo, all of the other options have been reduced by 20% too.  This includes the ‘1000 Avios plus a lot of cash’ one.

I know this isn’t too clear.  It is easier to explain with an example.  Here is the Hilton London Paddington for 16th August booked via the BA ‘Avios for hotels’ booking portal which is not running this promotion:

and here is the same hotel via the avios.com hotel portal when you log in via an Aer Club account (if you don’t have one, open one at aerlingus.com and then log in at avios.com with the details):

How does the pricing compare?

The cash price of this room booked via hilton.com for non-members of Hilton Honors is £209.

This is in line with the price via the BA hotel portal, at £200 plus 1000 Avios.

Using the avios.com hotel portal (logged in with an Aer Club account) we get a far better deal – £160 plus 1000 Avios.

To book ….

You could book this hotel with ‘all Avios’ but you’re only getting the usual 0.55p per point of value compared to Aer Club’s heavily discounted cash price.

It is far better to just move 1,000 Avios from British Airways to your AerClub account and then, in this case, pay the £160 cash.

This same deal seems to work for ALL of the hotels in ALL countries on the avios.com booking site.  Some do not let you go as low as 1,000 Avios, however, so you may need to burn more points.

Remember that bookings via the Avios / BA hotel booking sites do NOT earn you loyalty points in the hotel scheme and do NOT earn you status benefits.  If you can get a 20% discount on the usual cash price via this Aer Lingus offer, however, you will struggle to beat that at most properties even if you are sacrificing points earning.

If you want to see the full details, look at the AerClub site here.

What is the best credit card to earn Avios points? (Part 2: on-going earning rates)
British Airways launches flights to Cologne - book your Avios Christmas Market trips now

Comments

1. Arnold says:

Very difficult to figure out. My current Aerclub is associated with my Avios account, both of which are Canadian addresses. On login, the Avios always reverts to the Canadian site, and while I can access the Hotels search, it looks nothing like your examples, there are no 1000 Avios part pay options (and of course my payment options are all in CAD). Does the Aerclub account need to have an Irish address for this to work???

2. Cheggers says:

Maybe the pricing has changed in the past 24 houurs but when I search for Hilton Paddiington to match above [on my AerClub Avios account that now has AerClub logo at top], I get ‘Sale price’ 32,100 Avios going down to £130 plus 9650 Avios, not 1,000…. so…. a typical Hilton sale where they increase their prices in the sale….

3. mcaf123 says:

Both my Avios and AerClub accounts use the same email address and I can’t login to Avios using my AerClub details. Should we be using separate email addresses?

• Yes you can – but you need your username (not account number) for AerClub. Once you have found them (do ‘forgot username’ on aerlingus.com) you can log in to avios.com.

• mcaf123 says:

I’ve got the same user name for Avios and AerClub, so I think it’s causing me access issues. I seem to have been locked out of both accounts now!

4. Cheggers says:

Having done quite a few searches there is clearly 20% off – and some good value to be had. Here are my tips after farting around getting nowhere: FIRST, just log in at the avios.com website and go straight to book a hotel. As long as your Avios.com show the Aerclub logo it will work. SECOND, although there is a list of ‘Avios plus cash’ prices for each hotel, they are not all there. Specific example: I just booked the Easyhotel in Budapest for tomorrow night. Cash price with EasyHotel is £48. Avios price was 2100 plus £20 – good value. Transferred 2,100 Avios across. Then on the final booking page, I was given the option to pay 0 Avios and £35…. so in the end, got there. But why do IAG have to make the system so bloody complicated?

• Cheggers says:

Except I’ve just been charged £40.88 not £35…. so tip THREE… use the Avios to get the discount…?

• CHris says:

Well, 35 wasn’t 20% discount (not that 40.88 is either) so who knows?

5. I have just linked my avios account with my AerClub account on aerlingus after being prompted to do so when logging into AerClub for the first time. I can now see my avios.com transactions in AerClub. I’ve never logged into avios.com using my AerClub details. I’ve tried both the AerClub number and the email but neither works. What is the process?

• mcaf123 says:

Same problem I’m having!

• Just log in to avios using your avios.com details and it’s now linked to AerClub, with the logo at the top. Prices are about 20% cheaper but no mention why. Also on the summary page I do t see the option of 1000 avios + cash as shown in Rob’s example and I’ve tried same hotel and dates

• Cheggers says:

Clear browser cache. Log into Avios.com. Click on Your Account. Under the drop down box a white bar should appear with the AerLingus logo. Then go to hotel booking page. There is no mention of the 20% discount but comparing prices to BA using same search there is a 20% discount.

6. grex9101 says:

At last!
    A semi-decent chance for a cunning-lingus comment! Yaaas!

7. Claire says:

The same hotel night including breakfast is £171 on izendirect to give a like-for like example for anyone considering membership.

• Izendirect – if i have read it correctly, membership is for 12 months and if you dont cancel within that time it renews for another 12 month term.

They had a good discount on the hotel i checked, but (and it probably just me), i found the website to be lacking in a few areas. Anyone vouch for it?

• Chris says:

No I think it isn’t just you – first time I’ve heard of the site and it looks interesting but it’s notable that it’s run by someone who doesn’t believe in proofreading…

• Yup! Even on the homepage there was at least one discrepancy, and not a fan of all the stock images being used. There is also some text that stated 350,000 bags are lost everyday. Putting that number to one side, there are delayed bags and completely lost bags, and it doesn’t differentiate. Reminds me that 9 out of 10 statistics are made up….

• Genghis says:

How much is membership?

• cheapest membership is £4.99 per month, but comes with restriction on number/value of bookings made per year. Up to unlimited at £29.99 per month.

8. nigel the pensioner says:

Nothing available in Hong Kong when Im there that looks anything like a bargain use of Avios….

9. Chris says:

Really quite O/T – Airportr question:

All owners of bagge need to be present on pickup as they would be on checkin (For bags collected from hotel and checked onto flight for you)

How creative can you be? I have 3 young children who hopefully won’t be awake at pickup, can all the bags belong to me and my wife or will BA insist on the carseats belonging to the children? We’re checking only 2 bags and the three carseats.

Additional question – pushchair. How does that need to be handled, are we going to wind up having to traipse to the checkin desk regardless?

• there need to be enough people to account for the luggage allowance. So for example three people at one piece each, for three bags they all need to be there. But if you had a 3pc allowance you can check all the bags under your name and no one else needs to be there.

For your buggy, presumably you’ll want it at the airport? In which case it’ll be gate-checked.

• Chris says:

Thanks Nick
        I’ll need to check the rules around carseats – the rules appear to specifically suggest that children get their allowance of two bags plus carsear(plus stroller) – no mention is made of an adult checking a carseat as standard luggage (which would allow me to acheive it with only one child present!)

We’ve always obtained a backage label for the stroller at checkin – I assume though that if checking it at the gate we can obtain the label there too?

10. James says:

OT: Iberia. I have had the full 90k avios credited. New account. They requested copy of passport and receipts for the tickets. I also included a screenshot of my Iberia account showing the details matching.

• Robman says:

I booked six flights but only received Avios for five flights. Old Iberia plus account. Wrote an email about 10 days ago but no word since. Not sure what to do now to get my missing 9000 points. Advice please.

• Peter K says:

therealharry1 has written about this a lot in the comments over the past few days. Have a scroll through (usually long comments) and there is info to be found in them.

• the real harry1 says:

Yep plenty of info last few days and have a read of the Flyertalk Iberia threads covering the 90K promotion.

One common problem is the flaky IB IT – it was timing people out after 20 mins, so your bookings may not all automatically have held on to your IB ID number. This is why a lot of people got 8 or 9 successes x9000 but missed out on one or two. Without the IB number, you won’t get the points so not worth appealing.

Check this by looking at your flight confirmation emails, which should all hold your IB ID number.

If they’re all there & you’re missing points, you’ll need to scan all 6 confirmation emails and start emailing CS @ IB.

• Have you figured out how the likes of me and Alan can get the 90k having not bought any flights at all?

11. Unless I am missing something, I am not getting the cash + 1000 avios options. Admittedly am booking for a week but even when I select for 1 night, I don’t have that option for 1000 avios. I’m going to Aerclub and then it’s redirecting me to avios.com to book hotels with avios. What am i missing?

• It doesn’t go as low as 1000 for pricier bookings. I tested this with a 1m Avios Maldives quote!

If you book each night separately it might work?

12. How does this deal compare with hotels.com regular sales? With cash back sites and/or hotels.com rewards, there can’t be much in it.

• You won’t get 20% – Hotels.com Rewards gets you close but of course needs 10 nights.

13. KBufferr says:

OT – I need help with the Marriott Platinum Challenge. I needed to complete 9 qualifying paid stays by 31/8/18 to qualify. I have only completed 5, but I also had 5 nights/1 stay as a points redemption within the qualifying period. My account is now showing Platinum (although I cannot see when this status expires). Is this because of a system glitch as my account is showing 10 nights now, or is this something to do with the SPG merger? Should I still continue to complete the 4 remaining stays by the end of this month?

• Looks like everyone on it has been upgraded. My guess is that they want to close the book pre merger. Wait a few days before cancelling the rest in case it is a mistake.

14. OT:
    I have an aerclub account I created while living in Ireland. That only has 250 avios. I cant see a way to link it with my UK avios.

15. KBuffett says:

OK, i’ve got a couple of mattress run’s booked in for Friday / Sunday! Do you know how to find out the expiry date of status?

• Rob MC says:

You should have had an email from SPG regarding the upgraded status. Check that, mine is march 2019 which I think matches a lot of other people. The other option is to call up Marriott and ask

• KBuffett says:

Yes, I’ve had that. If I complete my challenge will the expiry date get extended?

• It isn’t 3/19. Your current year ends 3/19. You then get rolled over to 3/20. Odd but that is how they do it.

• KBuffett says:

So are you suggesting that I shouldn’t complete the rest of my challenge?

• If booked, do the stays. You are then guaranteed Plat to 2020. At the moment you don’t have a leg to stand on if they downgrade you in 2019. If you can cancel the stays you need to have a think about the cost and time involved vs the marginal benefits between Feb 19 and Feb 20 – and the % chance they do downgrade you.

16. Odd question but how do I know if there is 20% off the price? I have no idea what the original price should be!

I’m seeing the same price when I access avios through aerlingus and avios.com..

My “username” (email address) is the same for both aerlingus and avios.com

• Open the BA.com hotel booking site in another window!

• Trying to book The Grand Hotel & Spa in York,UK.

Same price on both for me.

Maybe this hotel isn’t discounted?

17. Why is this so confusing!! To be clear, I feel I log into Avios.com using my Avios.com details, I see a banner that says ‘you’re a member of aerclub’. And a member of flybe. Does that mean I’m seeing the right offers? The page looks nothing like rob’s.

Or do I need to delink my Avios and merge with aerclub??

18. Jay Bee says:

I also have BAEC linked to my avoid, will the AerLingus offer prices come up when i log into the avoid website?

Also, how do i get the points plus cash? I click on the room and it only seems to show points, of which I do not have nought to complete the booking with points only. Help! Thanks

• No you need to log in to Avios.com using an AerClub account.

• Jay Bee says:

Ive used the same email address for AerClub as BAEC and my existing avoids account (which was linked to BAEC). So when i log into avios, I won’t be getting the offer? 🙁

• Yes you will, because avios.com log-in for Aer Lingus members is via user name and not via email.

19. Peter K says:

Any advice on how to open an Aer Lingus account please? I’ve gone back to Rob’s old article on this, taken the space out in my postcode, put only 2 numbers of my mobile in the first box and the rest in the second as advised but still no joy.
    Tried previously on Chrome on my mobile and chrome on a laptop and desktop but still no joy. Thanks in advance.

• Peter K says:

I’ve tried different email addresses, using my landline not a mobile, different user names but no joy.

• Cinimo says:

I had an issue where it didn’t like my complicated password for aer club. Even though I used the same password with my avios account. I had to remove symbols to get it to work.

• Peter K says:

Well, it turns it that I must have almost created an account a while ago with them but somehow not verified it…and there were no emails from them in my inbox to know I had done this (I checked).
        Alternatively, they created an account when I was trying recently but threw up an error rather than confirmation message. It had thus been sitting waiting for confirmation without letting me know this was the situation while I tried to create an(other) account.
        I only worked this out by guessing that the username I’d chosen couldn’t have been taken by anyone else and tried logging in with it! It then, and only then, send me a verify your account email!

20. Anyone having issues.

Just spoke to Avios and they told me to open a new AerClub account.

I had the same username for both.. which created problems.

Rob

• Nope still not working.

Hearing different things from different chat support at Avios.

21. the real harry1 says:

O/T might be some decent Qatar fares out of Cardiff if you look – apparently numbers flying disappoint

• Very interesting harry. I’ve never seen anything remotely cheaper from CWL. Odd choice to launch a new route.

• Sam G says:

I got a Y ticket to Singapore for £350 for my MIL but never any good deals in biz ex UK (except that AKL that turned out to be a mistake) – I think they agree with BA not to discount too much

22. Does the discount still work if you link your Aer Club account with your Avios account? When I try to book a hotel through the Aer Club site it takes me to my Avios account