Save 20% on almost all hotels, everywhere via an Aer Lingus AerClub promo!

AerClub is the Avios-based reward scheme for Aer Lingus, BA’s sister airline.  The ability to pay for hotels (and car hire and experiences, but we’re focusing on hotels here) has just been introduced to AerClub.

AerClub has been running an interesting offer.  You can save 20% on all hotels bookings made using Avios – or, more interestingly, part cash and part Avios.  You must book by 19th July but can stay until 31st December 2018.

You can find out more on the AerClub site here.

This deal has been implemented in a slightly odd way which makes it good value for using Avios – but very good value for using cash!

When you use Avios to book a hotel, you are given a number of options.  One is ‘all Avios’.  The last is usually ‘1000 Avios plus a lot of cash’.  There are few options in the middle.

Because the ‘all Avios’ option has been reduced by 20% under this promo, all of the other options have been reduced by 20% too.  This includes the ‘1000 Avios plus a lot of cash’ one.

I know this isn’t too clear.  It is easier to explain with an example.  Here is the Hilton London Paddington for 16th August booked via the BA ‘Avios for hotels’ booking portal which is not running this promotion:

and here is the same hotel via the avios.com hotel portal when you log in via an Aer Club account (if you don’t have one, open one at aerlingus.com and then log in at avios.com with the details):

How does the pricing compare?

The cash price of this room booked via hilton.com for non-members of Hilton Honors is £209.

This is in line with the price via the BA hotel portal, at £200 plus 1000 Avios.

Using the avios.com hotel portal (logged in with an Aer Club account) we get a far better deal – £160 plus 1000 Avios.

To book ….

You could book this hotel with ‘all Avios’ but you’re only getting the usual 0.55p per point of value compared to Aer Club’s heavily discounted cash price.

It is far better to just move 1,000 Avios from British Airways to your AerClub account and then, in this case, pay the £160 cash.

This same deal seems to work for ALL of the hotels in ALL countries on the avios.com booking site.  Some do not let you go as low as 1,000 Avios, however, so you may need to burn more points.

Remember that bookings via the Avios / BA hotel booking sites do NOT earn you loyalty points in the hotel scheme and do NOT earn you status benefits.  If you can get a 20% discount on the usual cash price via this Aer Lingus offer, however, you will struggle to beat that at most properties even if you are sacrificing points earning.

If you want to see the full details, look at the AerClub site here.

What is the best Avios credit card? (Part 2: on-going earning rates)
British Airways launches Cologne - book your Avios Christmas Market trips now

Comments

1. How does this deal compare with hotels.com regular sales? With cash back sites and/or hotels.com rewards, there can’t be much in it.

• You won’t get 20% – Hotels.com Rewards gets you close but of course needs 10 nights.

2. KBufferr says:

OT – I need help with the Marriott Platinum Challenge. I needed to complete 9 qualifying paid stays by 31/8/18 to qualify. I have only completed 5, but I also had 5 nights/1 stay as a points redemption within the qualifying period. My account is now showing Platinum (although I cannot see when this status expires). Is this because of a system glitch as my account is showing 10 nights now, or is this something to do with the SPG merger? Should I still continue to complete the 4 remaining stays by the end of this month?

• Looks like everyone on it has been upgraded. My guess is that they want to close the book pre merger. Wait a few days before cancelling the rest in case it is a mistake.

3. OT:
    I have an aerclub account I created while living in Ireland. That only has 250 avios. I cant see a way to link it with my UK avios.

4. KBuffett says:

OK, i’ve got a couple of mattress run’s booked in for Friday / Sunday! Do you know how to find out the expiry date of status?

• Rob MC says:

You should have had an email from SPG regarding the upgraded status. Check that, mine is march 2019 which I think matches a lot of other people. The other option is to call up Marriott and ask

• KBuffett says:

Yes, I’ve had that. If I complete my challenge will the expiry date get extended?

• It isn’t 3/19. Your current year ends 3/19. You then get rolled over to 3/20. Odd but that is how they do it.

• KBuffett says:

So are you suggesting that I shouldn’t complete the rest of my challenge?

• If booked, do the stays. You are then guaranteed Plat to 2020. At the moment you don’t have a leg to stand on if they downgrade you in 2019. If you can cancel the stays you need to have a think about the cost and time involved vs the marginal benefits between Feb 19 and Feb 20 – and the % chance they do downgrade you.

5. Odd question but how do I know if there is 20% off the price? I have no idea what the original price should be!

I’m seeing the same price when I access avios through aerlingus and avios.com..

My “username” (email address) is the same for both aerlingus and avios.com

• Open the BA.com hotel booking site in another window!

• Trying to book The Grand Hotel & Spa in York,UK.

Same price on both for me.

Maybe this hotel isn’t discounted?

6. Why is this so confusing!! To be clear, I feel I log into Avios.com using my Avios.com details, I see a banner that says ‘you’re a member of aerclub’. And a member of flybe. Does that mean I’m seeing the right offers? The page looks nothing like rob’s.

Or do I need to delink my Avios and merge with aerclub??

7. Jay Bee says:

I also have BAEC linked to my avoid, will the AerLingus offer prices come up when i log into the avoid website?

Also, how do i get the points plus cash? I click on the room and it only seems to show points, of which I do not have nought to complete the booking with points only. Help! Thanks

• No you need to log in to Avios.com using an AerClub account.

• Jay Bee says:

Ive used the same email address for AerClub as BAEC and my existing avoids account (which was linked to BAEC). So when i log into avios, I won’t be getting the offer? 🙁

• Yes you will, because avios.com log-in for Aer Lingus members is via user name and not via email.

8. Peter K says:

Any advice on how to open an Aer Lingus account please? I’ve gone back to Rob’s old article on this, taken the space out in my postcode, put only 2 numbers of my mobile in the first box and the rest in the second as advised but still no joy.
    Tried previously on Chrome on my mobile and chrome on a laptop and desktop but still no joy. Thanks in advance.

• Peter K says:

I’ve tried different email addresses, using my landline not a mobile, different user names but no joy.

• Cinimo says:

I had an issue where it didn’t like my complicated password for aer club. Even though I used the same password with my avios account. I had to remove symbols to get it to work.

• Peter K says:

Well, it turns it that I must have almost created an account a while ago with them but somehow not verified it…and there were no emails from them in my inbox to know I had done this (I checked).
        Alternatively, they created an account when I was trying recently but threw up an error rather than confirmation message. It had thus been sitting waiting for confirmation without letting me know this was the situation while I tried to create an(other) account.
        I only worked this out by guessing that the username I’d chosen couldn’t have been taken by anyone else and tried logging in with it! It then, and only then, send me a verify your account email!

9. Anyone having issues.

Just spoke to Avios and they told me to open a new AerClub account.

I had the same username for both.. which created problems.

Rob

• Nope still not working.

Hearing different things from different chat support at Avios.

10. the real harry1 says:

O/T might be some decent Qatar fares out of Cardiff if you look – apparently numbers flying disappoint

• Very interesting harry. I’ve never seen anything remotely cheaper from CWL. Odd choice to launch a new route.

• Sam G says:

I got a Y ticket to Singapore for £350 for my MIL but never any good deals in biz ex UK (except that AKL that turned out to be a mistake) – I think they agree with BA not to discount too much

11. Does the discount still work if you link your Aer Club account with your Avios account? When I try to book a hotel through the Aer Club site it takes me to my Avios account