BA Sale

Bits: ‘3’ mobile deal on easyJet, double Clubcard points (Avios / Virgin miles) at Esso, Heathrow Fast Track for sale

More news in brief as we do a quick tidy up:

‘3’ strikes an interesting deal with easyJet

Mobile network ‘3’ has launched an interesting promotion with easyJet for its ‘pay monthly’ customers.

It is giving its customers free use of easyJet’s ‘hands free’ service.  This allows you to check in your hand baggage at the airport (UK departure airports only) for free.  You also get priority boarding (first group behind those who paid for speedy boarding) and the ‘priority’ return of your bags when you land.

Only ‘3’ customers can do this, for one piece of hand baggage.  Your fellow travellers must pay £5, as do any ‘non-3’ customers who want to take advantage of this.

Is there a market for this?  Not from people like me who take a soft bag on board which would be wrecked if treated as checked baggage.  If you’re the sort of person who takes a small suitcase as hand baggage, it might be worth it.  You’d need to queue up to drop the bag but you wouldn’t have to carry it with you in the airport.

Not sure why you’d give priority boarding to people who do this though …. the whole point of boarding with zero luggage at all must be that you can board last of all?

Full details are on the ‘3’ website here.  Thanks to Daniel for this.

EasyJet Hands Free with 3 mobile

Double Clubcard points on Esso Synergy Supreme+ premium fuels

Tesco and Esso have brought back double Clubcard points with Synergy Supreme + premium fuels.

Until 31st August 2018, filling up your tank with Esso Synergy Supreme+ premium fuels will give you double the standard amount of Clubcard points.  These can be converted into Avios or Virgin Flying Club via the Tesco Clubcard website.

You can read more about this offer and the – complicated – Esso / Clubcard relationship on Shopper Points and on the Esso website.

Heathrow Fast Track

Heathrow Fast Track article

We did an article yesterday on Heathrow now selling Fast Track security access, including Terminal 5.

About once a year I confuse North and South at T5 in an article, and yesterday was the day for 2018 :-).  If you buy Fast Track, you use North Fast Track.  North is the semi-secret one that few people know about, which is directly in front of you when entering T5 from the lifts from the tube.

Sorry for the confusion!

Bits: Amex transfers to SPG suspended, Hilton 'double points' extended, our IHG points winner, MoS
How does 'Part Pay With Avios' work with Flybe?

BA Sale

Comments

1. Stephan says:

OT Platinum Travel Insurance. Is anyone aware of what the policy is for pregnant women? Wife and I are planning travelling in a couple of weeks and many policy don’t provide coverage beyond a certain weeks before due date for pregnant people but on the T&Cs for Platinum Travel Insurance there is no mention of the word pregnancy/pregnant/birth/born and even the person on the chat couldn’t find anything specific which seems to suggest it potentially covers birth outside the UK??

Plan on calling them this morning but thought I’d the off chance I’d see if anyone had come across this before

• Courtster says:

I’ve spent weeks sorting out Travel insurance for my 33 week pregnant wife and only found 2 that come anywhere near covering every eventuality…

https://www.bupaglobal.com/en/travel-insurance covers pregnant women and early childbirth up to 36 weeks – but I have it in writing that it DOES NOT include any costs that the newborn premature baby incurs like NICU costs.

https://www.ravenhallgroup.co.uk/pregnant-travel/mama-to-b-important-information/ Ravenhall cover all costs including new baby care.

Hope this helps

• Courtster says:

I’ve replied to you with a couple of links that haven’t been moderated yet.

I’ve spent weeks trying to find travel insurance that covers mum and prem newborn if something was going to happen abroad when we’re away in the NY for a couple of nights when 33 weeks – normal travel insurance doesn’t mention all the things you outline above because childbirth is not an illness. If you are pregnant you are going to have a baby at some point.

That said, I’ve found 2 places that specifically mention pregnancy and childbirth. You’ll have to search for these, as I can’t add links:

IHI BUPA Global Travel Insurance – Although I have it in writing that they only cover the mother, the newborns medical costs would not be covered. NICU costs can add up!

Ravenhall Risk Solutions “MamAtoB” Travel Insurance – Covers everything, including newborn.

Hope this helps

• Courtster says:

Also, I believe that if you were to take out one of these policies for your wife you should take it out too as otherwise you will not be able to claim on your standard policy for delays/accommodation/rebooked flights etc caused by premature childbirth

• Stephan says:

Thanks Courtster. I was aware of the MamAtoB insurance but only read about people signing up but not necessarily having to claim. Interesting regarding Bupa although the limitations as you mentioned could make the additional medical costs pricey! My wife will be just below 32 weeks so I thinking of going with StaySure as it seems to cover up to 8 weeks of the due date. I just thought the Platinum Travel Insurance may have be useful as we plan on upgrading, just surprised it didn’t mention pregnancy whatsoever.

Also, as we are travelling within the EU I got the EHIC as an additional backup.

• Stephan says:

Just got off the phone with the insurance provider for the Platinum Travel Insurance and from my understanding is that it would cover the costs if the doctor gives the go ahead and it is within the airline policy. The reason they don’t have it specifically in their policy is because they consider an early pregnancy or issues with the pregnancy a ‘medical condition’

• Hmmm I had flights booked during my 39th week (booked before I knew abt it) – Amex plat reimbursed me no questions asked.

• Make sure you get a good policy, there was a case on TV recently where the woman had her baby very prematurely in the Dominican Republic and although they had insurance it would only cover them for treatment at the local public hospital where the facilities weren’t ideal.

2. Mud Island Mlungu says:

OT Curve card should be reintroducing Amex back into service in the next 6 months.

• Genghis says:

Interesting. What’s your source? Is this part of a paid for package with hotel statuses?

• Indeed would be interested to know – still talking about it in the Curve Community but no dates yet.

• Curve community? Where is that? I can only see the (not very useful) blog

• @Matt it’s their beta community – occasionally get early releases. I’ve been part of it for about a year, sorry can’t remember how I signed up now! They run a Slack group with it. If you’re keen then ask Rob to put us in touch and I can ask them if the’ll add you.

• Simon B says:

now that would be great news!

• Source?

I tweeted asking about the monthly fee option that was discussed in comments a few weeks ago and their reply was “We have no plans to change our free product and if we change our premium product – we’ll tell you far in advance”

Is <6 months considered "far in advance"? Maybe?

• Curve has been emailing some users with surveys on what sort of pricing package they would accept for a card which worked with Amex ….

• Yep, remember that chat before – wasn’t sure if Mud Island Mlungu had some new intel? Would be great if it happened! 😛

3. Claire says:

O/T it’s no longer possible to use an IHG credit card to top up Revolut, they now treat it as a cash advance. My card also wouldn’t work on Curve last week but not sure if that was a one-off.

• Mikee says:

I just made a £5 top-up to Revolut using my new Virgin Atlantic credit card and am waiting to see if that posts as a transaction or cash as advance.

• DaveA says:

I’ve done a few transfers from Virgin Atlantic Rewards Card to Revolut and it’s always been treated as a purchase.

• Peter K says:

Were you charged a fee? I last topped up on 24th July and was not charged an fee but wonder now if interest is accruing.

• Optimus Prime says:

In my experience Creation doesn’t add in the fee to your transactions until the statement is generated. Other credit card providers such as Barclaycard and Lloyds do so within 24-48 hours.

• Frenzie says:

This has been h case for a while (months).

• I topped up Revolut £175 with my creation IHG card on 20 July. My statement has since been generated and I had no cash advance fee or interest charged.

When did you get charged a fee?

• David says:

Interest will be on your statement at the bottom and the £3 handling fee is charged a few days after top up.

• I have double checked the statement. It shows the Revolut transaction but no interest and no £3 fee. I have topped up about once a month for the past few months and never been charged.

• David says:

They just started, as of 20th of this month I think but yes it was free in the past but now you will pay 3% + interest.

• Still no fee showing for me from a top-up 1/52 ago…

• Louise says:

Is the trick to top up with curve rather than the ihg card?

• My curve is linked to my IHG and always works for me (today included)

4. Craig says:

OT: Should BA buy on board receive double Avios?

• No, because the payment goes to (and is processed by) Tourvest, not BA. It’s been the same for duty free since well before buy-on-board came in at all.

5. Benylin says:

OT: Sorry new to tbis so bare with my amateur question. I have a Gold Charge card, now going to upgrade to Platinum via the popular link. I will then hit the spending amount pretty quickly, and also refer a few people. Then I want to cancel asap to reduce the annual fee charge.
    1) will I lose all my amex points immediately? Or is there a grace period for holding the points in your account before you are forced to spend them.
    2) if I open a BA Amex via self refer before I close, can I keep my Amex points (in Amex currency not Avios)?

I want to leave in Amex points format to retain flexibility.

• Peter K says:

1. You should have 30 days to spend the points after cancelling but safer to use them before cancelling as your online account is locked and you will need to ring to try to use them.
      2. No, you cannot port your points across. If you don’t use them you will lose them. You can’t store membership reward points on a non-membership rewards card.
      To keep MR points you need a platinum, gold or green card. But having one stops the 6 month countdown before you can get another sign-up bonus.

• Matt B says:

Neither of us has ever been charged any fee from upgrading the gold charge to plat, on my last churn I kept it for about 4 months and when cancelling they made no mention of it. In fact they sent me 3 letters afterwards about them owing me £5 due to an overpayment cock up they caused.

6. OT: If anyone is planning an upcoming Avis reservation then Avis/Virgin have a 4000 mile offer for rentals of 3 days and more in a group C. Has to be booked via the specific page though :

7. 3 deal only seems to be for outbound flight. Not sure how it would work on one way flights (I assume it works) and how they would keep a track of it on returns

8. I agree with Rob, what’s the point of priority boarding if you don’t have hand luggage? On second thoughts… does anybody check that you don’t have any hand baggage any more?? If not, could be a cheap way to get an additional checked bag…

• the real harry1 says:

I used to think I understood the mad scrum to board first/ early when it was unallocated seating – now that all seats are allocated, far harder to comprehend the mentality. Is it the fear of no overhead locker space remaining? In all my travels, I’ve never yet failed to find easy locker space, though it pays to grab a canny forward locker space when you are boarding pretty much last, having optimised lounge drinking time 🙂 Even better if you are travelling cattle and can stuff your bag in a Business locker. As well known ask-the-staffer over on FT says: no locker space on BA is allocated to the seat below it, so you can rightly plonk your bag wherever you see fit.

Nope, going back to the mad scramble & push ‘n shove to board before everybody else – it’s just another proof that the world is full of willy winkers who lose control of brain cells when boarding begins. If I don’t get on – now! – I’ll lose out, somebody will pinch my seat, it’ll prove I failed as a human, DYKWIA?, crikey no locker space that’d be a disaster, mum I’m not getting on this plane, they overbooked it! better shove that fat cow out of the way just to be safe etc etc

And the good news is: BA outstations don’t bother about enforcing the boarding group rules, so you can just board first if you are in Group 5 and nobody raises an eyebrow.

• Andrew says:

I just wait until last to board and let the crew find me somewhere to stash it if nothing is obvious.

My local uni has just had a digital glass floor installed . Wouldn’t it be fun if there was something similar at the airport? Go and stand on your space before boarding… Then let the algorithms turn the space green to promote swift boarding…

Not that there is room for such a thing at places like Edinburgh where the Easyjet & BA queues often merge in the middle at Costa.

(And Alex W yes, as long as you have a friend to hold your other hand luggage, it can be done – best not to ask a stranger to hold onto your luggage at the airport and don’t tell everyone.)

• If nobody has paid for them and the flight isn’t full easyjet need peop,e to sit at the exit rows. I hang around until the end and on several occasions have been asked if I would mind sitting at the exit row with lots of extra leg room.

• Steve M says:

Unfortunately, as we found out recently, if you are not near the front of the boarding queue on easyjet, you run the risk of having your soft hand baggage arbitrarily taken off you, even if it will fit under the seat. Only a fairly “robust” discussion prevented it from being taken and it spoilt the experience for us. Didn’t notice it in the t&c’s before but it is there…

• Peter K says:

I’ve had hand luggage taken off us before when at the back of the queue boarding on an Easyjet flight.

• +1 happened to me once and it resulted in a 45 minute wait for my luggage at the otherside to get my bag back. I now never wait last to board.

• the real harry1 says:

The good news is Ryanair improved the luggage allowance – now cabin bags are –
          – A smaller bag – such as a handbag or laptop bag, with a max size of 35cm x 20cm x 20cm and no weight restriction.
          – A larger bag – 55cm x 40cm x 20cm with a 10kg weight limit.

Free.

The bad news is, mostly they’ll take the larger cabin bag off you as (free) checked luggage & you have to collect it @ carousel, so think about laptop, passport etc

• I was in CE earlier this year and ET was full. There was plenty of locker space in CE but ET was chaos. I suggested to the cabin crew that ET pax used the space overhead lockers in CE but they said it absolutely wasn’t allowed! It just seemed daft.

• It’s usually the old biddy brigade who can’t bear to sit still for 5 minutes who are to blame.

• Shanagarry says:

Yes, I’ve used it (the pay version) a few times for extra carry on – check the wheelie case (no weight limit) and carry on a large handbag/husband brings a camera bag without any issues.

9. Michael says:

Is anybody still receiving the Sunday Times travel magazine even though they cancelled and haven’t been charged (for the second time)

• Robman says:

I am.

• the real harry1 says:

nope they cancelled my 7 subs at the correct time, perhaps got 1 freebie x7 but that was it

• I am as well

• Sandra says:

Not now but after a hassle. Cancelled well on time online but continued to receive the magazine. Checked my bank account for confirmation but didn’t check well enough. After receiving another few “free” magazines it transpired they had reinstated the direct debit (one per year) under a different reference number and a different recipient. It took several phone calls with assurances to refund to no avail before a visit to my bank solved it and money refunded. Bank said this kind of thing is not unusual with magazine subscriptions.

• Yes.. I was getting it, cancelled sub, cancelled the direct-debit and was still getting sent it. I e-mailed them to cancel it as I had moved and they were sending it to my old address and I was cancelling the redirection. When I did that they said I was due a refund, claimable via either Cheque or BACS. I decided I’d let them keep it since I felt a bit bad getting a refund for something I hadn’t even paid for! Their IT systems are obviously worse than BA’s! Not sure if they are still sending it to my old address though…?

10. Jeff Deeprose says:

OT, can anybody advise how long it takes for points from a cancelled rewards flight to return
    to the account? thanks in advance

11. Nicky says:

OT: bit of a coward when it comes to using new apps which involve giving credit card details. I am off to Florida in December and want to go from my hotel in Brickell to the Dolphin Mall. An ordinary taxi there and back will be quite expensive. If I use Uber (which I will have to sign up for and hence my concern), do I have to have an American account or will a UK account work. I am not sure what to do as I always worry about leaving card details which could be abused. Any advice?

• UK account ok

• Simon says:

Ive used my UK uber account in Dubai, NY, Miami, Tel Aviv etc. No issues. Just charges to my regular card in the app. IF you are concerned, I think you can use Apple Pay as the underlying payment method. Though I wouldnt count Uber as a new app that should concern you.

• I would sign up to uber here using a link for some free credit and get it working. That would probably be easier (although you might find better credit is offered when abroad).

That is one of the benefits of uber.. Same app usable in many countries. The only downside is they bill you in local currency so have to remember to switch the card you are using to a fee-free one.

Lyft is also a good alternative that is basically the same as Uber, I have just not seen them in the UK yet.

When I was in Phoenix, drivers seemed to be on both. Prices were slightly lower on Lyft and they had good signup deals. Having two options is helpful if there is ‘surge’ pricing on one, it might not be on the other. Uber/Lyft combo was cheaper than renting a car for a couple of weeks.

• Scallder says:

+1 for also trying Lyft. As not in UK when I signed up when in Florida (end of 2016) they had a promo for $5 off each of my first 10 rides for new users so could take that up. Often found Lyft cheaper than Uber too.

• Yes the $5 off x rides for Lyft was also in Phoenix! Made good use of that with lots of $6/7 rides 🙂

• Bloke in India says:

Uber can be set up with a UK card which can be billed anywhere in the world. I use it here in India on UK credit cards frequently.

If you’re worried about compromising your card details through use of an app, you probably don’t understand that all your details have, in all probability, already been compromised by various high street retailers or credit reference agency hacks in the past year, unless you happen to be in the unbanked minority of the population or have never used the card. at all. ever.