Bits: Hilton family discounts (and win a stay in London), no BA Fast Track in Nice, HFP comments

News in brief:

New Hilton family deal (and win a weekend in London for a family of four)

(EDIT:  For some odd reason the competition disappeared this afternoon!  Sorry about that.  The Disney voucher promo is still showing if you click through.)

For a limited period, Hilton is offering a £10 Disney Store voucher when booking the Kids Stay and Eat for Free package in the UK.  You can find out more on hilton.com here.

To promote this, Hilton is giving away a stay for two adults and two children at the Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel.

The entry form is at the bottom of this page.  You need to be a Hilton Honors member to enter but you can sign up during the entry process if you want.  I don’t know the closing date but the offer only launched last week.

Hilton London Tower Bridge

British Airways not paying for Fast Track in Nice

Reader Justin sent me a photo of the Fast Track lane at Nice Terminal 1 which is a relatively new development over the last year or so.

As you can see, despite the heavy Club Europe loads on flights to Nice, the signs imply that British Airways has chosen not to pay the airport to let BA passengers use Fast Track.  A quick dig around online confirmed that this was the case.

Over the last year British Airways has been signing a few lounge access deals in airports where there was a lounge but they had previously refused to pay for it.  It would be good if this could be extended to Fast Track security access too.

A tweak to HFP comments

A quick admin note.  Underneath the comments box on the desktop and tablet versions of HFP, you will now see a box marked “Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.”

Assuming you tick the box, it brings back the functionality we used to have before GDPR forced us to remove it. Your details should automatically be saved for future comments. Mobile should follow soon.

Lloyds starts to close its Duo and Avios Rewards Amex cards - what should you do?
The BA maintenance base at Cardiff turns 25 .... but you may never have heard of it

Comments

1. Stuart says:

BA don’t even pay for fast track at Newcastle nevermind Nice!

2. Kevin H says:

If the FT link above is correct, it’s at almost 60% of European airports where BA refuses to pay for fast-track security. Incredible!

3. Glad the new ‘save details’ option is here on the desktop version, Rob – could you change it though so that the the save details box is pre-ticked if you’ve already agreed? Otherwise I’ve found it works the first time you submit a comment (as the name/email are prefilled), but if you don’t tick the box again it then forgets them again! Given folk have already consented couldn’t it be pre-ticked for those that have agreed to save the details and left unticked for new users or those that have unticked it before? On the plus side tab from comments also now puts you into the name box rather than back to the start of the page 😉 Just need mobile comments to save details and email alerts to return and we’ll be fully back up and running again 😀

4. Mr Dee says:

Good about the comments, my hand started to hurt from retyping so much

5. O/T : Any arrival lounge in Amsterdam (Accessible with Amex Platinum)

6. OT: In south by car next month and would like to spend a few days in London. Can anybody recommend a suitable hotel with free or cheap parking close to tube or train for easy connections to the centere?

• Coming from which direction?

From the north, you might find Luton, Milton Keynes etc better value if you don’t mind a longer train trip – albeit one many people do daily as a commute!

• Oddly, all around it as I need to be in Canterbury and Reading. I was thinking of Hilton Watford but recall adverse comments about it here. Was hoping for something within walking distance of a station. I’ll check parking charges at Wembley.

• Lady London says:

Decent hix at Watford junction close to station. I think you pay for parking there but not outrageous. Some Heathrow hotels are quite reasaonable price for guests.

• Nick_C says:

How about Stevenage? 20 to 25 minutes from King’s Cross. Couple of hotels across the road from the station.

7. OT: I’m trying to book hotels using Avios through Iberia. It doesn’t seem to accept AMEX in the pull-down menu for part payment in cash. Am I missing something? Thanks.

• Delbert says:

I tried settling taxes on a BA Reward Flight with Amex a few weeks ago and Amex wasn’t even an option.

• Londoner says:

I paid tax on 4 reward tickets (3 on BA, 1 on IB) through Iberia (promo Avios) with Amex. Last one was on Saturday.

8. Mark Smith says:

O/T

Has anyone received the £5 for spending £50 at BP yet that was on the Amex card offers? Got my email confirm through but credit as of yet….

Also, just to confirm (seen lots of comments but couldn’t find a definitive answer) does the upgrade to Platinum link from the Gold Credit card and get 20kMR for £1k spend still work? Thanks

9. OT – are SPG > Marriott transfers working at the moment?

• and a follow on question…are SPG/Marriott reward bookings fully flexible?

I want to book a hotel in RC Tier 4 but want to wait until after 18th when the schemes merge and the max cost is limited to 60k Marriott points per night.
      However I also want to book a back up now just in case no reward rooms are available.

10. Anna H says:

I don’t see the link to the Hilton promotion for a free stay for 2 adults and 2 children at Hilton London Tower Bridge. At the bottom of the Hilton families promotion website:

I don’t see mention of a free stay for 2 adults and 2 children at Hilton London Tower Bridge, or any competition or raffle thereof. Anybody else?

• OK, that’s very weird …..! The page is the same as it was this morning but the competition has gone from the bottom and has been removed from the menu. I have added a note to the article.

• dabbagmm says:

Same here… I appreciate help on this too.

11. the real harry1 says:

O/T just struggling to double check the rukes on Priority Pass – cardholder can get in 1 guest free, right? next one £15.

Wife popped over to Rome for 3 nights with our 2 younger kids, just about to encourage her (with an email) to use the PP lounge on the way back, I don’t mind paying £15 for 3 of them, but if it’s going to be £30 they can go to McD’s.

• the real harry1 says:

She tried to prank me on the airport parking, insisting I both drop her off (early flight today) and pick her up (about midnight in a couple of days). Ie 4 hours+ of my time. Threw quite a strop when I said no bleddy way.

Only when I found online parking on decent discount – in her language, I might add – for about £20 did she actually give up the argument.

• the real harry1 says:

Or 2 of them could get into lounge and give the 3rd one 10 quid to sit outside, I think that would work.

• Lady London says:

Yes only the PP that comes with Amex Plat gives a free guest as well. Regular PP’s you get no free guest.

• Lady London says:

12. OT I am sure I read the other day that you can no longer refer an Amex card outside of the same family? Was this a temp glitch as it seems possible now? Sorry if this has been discussed already, I couldn’t find anything.

• the real harry1 says:

temp glitch but get in now while the luck holds – they’re onto us

13. rams1981 says:

Has anyone who self-referred an Amex card not received the points? My card has arrived today but no referral points yet.

• SR last week, the 18k bonus hit my account day after receiving the card this time.

14. “Mobile should follow soon.” It might just be me but hasn’t mobile had this for some time? I though it weird that it was there on mobile before but not desktop.

Either that or my mobile has been saving it whilst desktop refused..

15. Are all Hilton redemptions cancellable for a full points refund ?