Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Virgin Atlantic launches a Tesco Clubcard conversion inducement

Virgin Atlantic is NOT offering a transfer bonus this quarter to anyone who is thinking of converting their Tesco Clubcard points to Virgin Flying Club miles.

Instead, Virgin is running a competition.

Each time you convert Clubcard points to Virgin Flying Club before 30th September you will receive one entry in a prize draw.  There is one prize of 50,000 Flying Club miles.

You will receive 250 miles for every £1 of Tesco Clubcard vouchers you convert.

Virgin Tesco conversion bonus

The rules are a bit odd.  You can have as many entries as you want and there is no minimum spend required for it to count as an entry.  This means that you should, to maximise your chance of winning, convert each Tesco Clubcard voucher separately as long as each is for the minimum conversion amount of £2.50.

There is also a bonus of 1,000 Virgin miles for anyone who sets their Tesco Clubcard account to auto-convert future vouchers directly into Flying Club.

I do not recommend this, because it makes more sense to keep control over your vouchers and only redeem them when you need to book a flight.  This means that you won’t miss a future conversion bonus or a good deal from another Clubcard partner.

However …. you can turn on auto-convert and then, as long as the 1,000 miles arrive in time, turn it off before the next Clubcard mailing.  There is also no risk in turning it on if you don’t expect to have a lot of Clubcard points this quarter.

Instructions on how to set up auto-convert, as well as full details on the competition, can be found on the Clubcard page of the Virgin Atlantic website here.

Virgin Atlantic Tesco Clubcard points conversion

How to earn Virgin Atlantic miles from UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Flying Club miles from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Flying Club miles.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Comments (72)

• Michael C says:

OT – looking for a London N Year lovely lights/decoration w/end with better half & 5-yr old: I have Conrad St James junior suite + lounge and Sheraton Park Lane king + lounge at same price.

I guess Sheraton would win for location (freezing/raining, can scurry among shops, Piccadilly line more useful). Guessing Conrad lounge is better. Any other thoughts – anyone seen either decorated?

We’ll be doing Winter Wonderland, natch.

Cheers.

• Rob says:

Sheraton is better location for Winter Wonderland. Frankly the hotel is stunning since it was refurbished – see our review. Haven’t seen the lounge but I doubt you’d be unhappy. I imagine the New Years Day parade also goes past the hotel.

• Michael C says:

Cheers Rob – seen your reviews on both. I think def. Sheraton this time, Conrad for the spring/parks, etc.
        Just waiting to hear back to see if the King Club has a bathtub. Weirdly, the “lower” Superior room says it does, but the “further details” on club rooms are blank on the site, and I remember your review pic. (of that particular club room) not having one.

• Chris says:

Strongly advise you don’t take any valuables to WW with you. Just some cash and a debit card hidden somewhere on your person.

• BJ says:

Is this going to be at New Years eve? If so I would suggest Doubletree Westminster. High floors have river views and river is 2 minute walk away so perfect for fireworks. I like this hotel better than Conrad too.

• Benilyn says:

Do you guys see as buying 600 AVIOS for £2.50 Tesco vouchers worthwhile? I have been saving up Tesco vouchers to do that.

Given 3x multiplier on a lot of things, £2.50 voucher is worth £7.50, so paying 1.25p per mile on that logic.

• Rob says:

Personally I now use my Tesco vouchers for Uber. It is a genuine 3x redemption (it is hard to get Uber discounts otherwise) and I don’t value Avios at 1.25p.

• the_real_a says:

Personally no, but then I earn avios in other ways. It totally depends on what flights you intend to take, and then a personal perspective IF you would pay cash for Business over Economy. Very often its better value to spend clubcard points on other 3x redemption partners that you would definitely otherwise use cash.

• Alex W says:

No, I’ll be waiting for the next 20% transfer bonus to Virgin.

• BJ says:

OT Marriott TP again sorry.: Just upgraded a cat 1-5 certificate to a cat 7 which is the most I had points left for. After the certificate code it states 105, 000 points. Anybody know what that means or how it was calculated?

• Young L says:

105000 is the points you get when you ‘refund’ the certificate. A CAT 1-5 refund gets 45000 points, CAT 6 gets 75000.

• Chris Palmer says:

Regarding the Lufthansa / Hilton offer, does anyone know whether it is possible for a Hilton stay in my name to be credited to a Miles & More account in another name (my wife’s)? Does the name with Hilton have to match that of the Miles & More account?

• John Caribbean says:

OT
    I’m renewing my landlord’s insurance for a pretty small sum ,£200. I’m with Alan Boswell and they advise that the renewal will attract Avios, but not the quantity.
    Have any of you experienced this recently? Is there an amount I should expect

• Mark1980 says:

OT, does anyone have any experience with booking reward seats with Virgin from MAN to New York? I’ve checked availability for the next year and there’s hardly anything (the odd seat here and there) even 330 days out??

• ZumoDeNaranja says:

On the Clubcard Uber redemptions, can the Uber credit be used worldwide ?

Off the US next week and already know i will be spending at least $200 on cabs…