Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

American Express Membership Rewards transfer rate to Marriott Bonvoy confirmed

This is not unexpected, but it is good to have it confirmed.

The American Express Membership Rewards hotel transfers page (click here) has been updated to show that transfers to the new combined Marriott / Starwood programme will go through at a 2:3 ratio.

It erroneously shows as ‘3 Starpoints’ instead of ‘3 points’ but I’m sure Amex will fix that.

Membership Rewards transfer rate to Marriott Bonvoy

This is as we expected, as the old ratio to Starwood was 2:1 with Starwood to Marriott at 1:3.

In theory transfers should restart from today after a suspension whilst the Starwood / Marriott IT merger was completed.

Comments (160)

• Alan says:

Still can’t access SPG account, not sure if anyone else still having that issue?

On Marriott TPs – as I posted in the comments yesterday they seem to announced (only via a travel blog!) that the one month hiatus has been lifted, those that overpaid (cat 6, etc) can receive 30k back plus new one year cert expiry date plus able to cancel for the same refunds as they offered previously. It’s progress, though no word on upgrading yet.

• MarkH says:

Do you have a link bt any chance?

• Rob says:

Covering this tomorrow, but in theory everyone with a Cat 6 / 8 / Tier 1-3 TP has been emailed.

• Alan says:

LOL I highly doubt that – I’ve had a single email when I bought the TP, nothing since (incl about attaching certs or this). Given their own CS don’t seem to know about it I’m not sure they’ll have managed to get an email sorted out.

Also seems impossible to book SPG properties so far using TPs.

• Alan says:

BTW solved SPG account issue – the new website doesn’t allow passwords with special characters – however doesn’t tell you that is the issue! You need to go to SPG website, select ‘forgotten password’ (even although you know it!), then use your email address (plus name/country). They’ll send you a link to reset entry which specifies the new rules. Your existing SPG a/c number won’t work, only email.

Another poorly implemented aspect of the merger…

• Dee Tour says:

OT: Looking to take Mrs Tour to Hong Kong next year on a BA 2-4-1 (F hopefully), what’s the minimum trip length we should be looking at? Also any advice on where to stay? Thanks!

• RTS says:

A week max. Then fly somewhere else in Asia.

Stay in Tsim Sha Tsui – IC there is good.
      Alternatively, stay in Admiralty – you have a choice of Conrad, Shangrila and a few other higher end hotels.

• Genghis says:

We’re staying a week in Oct and have a really good itinerary planned. We’re at the JWM on a TP (no breakfast / lounge now though I have written confirmation they’ll honour it; let’s see…). We’ve stayed at the Conrad previously and had a great time. If paying cash / hotels.com nights, I’ve heard good things about Hotel Icon though never stayed there myself.

• New Card says:

Have stayed in both Hotel Icon and JWM. Icon brand new and shiny, fantastic restaurant on the top floor, small rooms. JWM older but more centrally located, bigger rooms though some have been refurbed, good lounge.

• Scott says:

Used to live in Hong Kong and people underestimate how there is to do especially if into walking/nature. Time of year is very important also. When are you going?

Trying not to come at this from an expat, ‘Kowloon is the dark side’ angle but in all seriousness would stay on the Island. If want to splash on hotel look at ‘The Murray or Upper House’. All the luxury brands are very good on the island also. Pacific Place houses the Conrad, JW, Shangri La and the Upper House. Good spot to be based. Happy to provide advice on hikes, bars, restaurants etc.

• Genghis says:

Hi Scott. I’d appreciate some advice on restaurants. We’re into dim sum and “up coming” places that provide quality, tasty dishes for reasonable prices. TIA.

• Scott says:

For dim sum. Lin Heung Tea House is good. Ding Dim 1968 and if want a bit more upmarket and very smart place, Mott 32.

Ooh up and coming. Have not lived there in a while but when was back last month. Blacksalt (Asian/Indian Fusion). La Vache ( steak frites only.) Ho Lee Look. Uma Nota. Frantzens Kitchen (fine dining).

• Scott says:

Apologies though that is a very Soho/Sheung Wan based suggestions.

• Genghis says:

Thanks Scott. Much appreciated. I had a few on my itinerary already but good to hear it from others.

• Cat says:

Hey Genghis – these are both chains but they’re sooooooo good! This does mean it’s easy to find one that’s on route, at least. Din Tai Fung and Crystal Jade.

• Cat says:

+1 for the walking nature Scott – I hiked up Victoria peak and Lantau peak for sunrise – both wonderful hikes. Next trip I plan to do more of the same!

• Dee Tour says:

Thanks for the tips all!

• Peter K says:

My Marriott account on the Marriott website is showing all my Spg info, not my Marriott info, so it looks like the migration is still very much ongoing!

• Mike P says:

OT. I’ve got a new batch of BA partner cards (one Gold and two silver) available. If anyone is interested in acquiring one of these, perhaps as a points or Avios exchange, leave a reply with an email address.

• GRIMZ says:

Slightly OT, I have a Starwood booking at a Sheraton Hotel in LA in October, when the booking was made in February I was Platinum via the Amex plat card but now I am Gold Elite with Starwood. Will I not get free breakfast?

• Rob says:

No, unless the hotel fails to refresh your data in their system.

• Alan says:

You could try contacting the hotel to see if they’d still honour it (obviously in a stronger position if it’s a cancellable booking).

• Lee says:

How do you get Platinum via the Amex plat? You never get free breakfast in SPG hotels anyway if you are linked from Amex plat

• Canuck says:

FWIW, Sheraton is an ex-SPG brand, so if you were gold via AMEX at time of booking, you weren’t going to receive a breakfast / lounge, even before merger.

• Nick says:

OT For the Virgin Atlantic Credit Card 3month Bonus Miles Offer – does anyone know please having spent the required £1000 in the first month of having the card, should I see the first bonus miles on my first statement or the subsequent statement after please?

• Genghis says:

OT. Does anyone have any experience of the Hilton Rose Hall Resort or the Holiday Inn Resort (as Hilton Gold and IHG SE) in Montego Bay?