Virgin Atlantic and Texaco Star Points partnership ended – how else can you earn miles from petrol?

For many years, Virgin Flying Club has had a miles earning partnership with Texaco.

You can (still) find details here.

However, this offer appears to have ended.  All references to Virgin Atlantic have been removed from the Texaco website and a reader who called Texaco to enquire was told that he could no longer make transfers.

The good news is that there are still other ways to earn Virgin Flying Club miles when buying petrol.

Texaco Star Rewards

Texaco’s loyalty scheme is called Star Rewards.  You earn 1 Star Rewards point for every 1 litre of fuel you purchase.

These could be transferred to Virgin Flying Club at the rate of 1:1, in multiples of 1,000.

Was this a good deal?  It was OK, but not outstanding.  For comparison, 1,000 Star Rewards points will also get you a £10 Texaco, Argos or M&S voucher.  You were therefore effectively paying 1p per Virgin mile, so you needed to value them at more than this for it to be worthwhile.

The good news is that the other routes of earning Flying Club miles from petrol are also more lucrative.

Texaco Star Rewards is beaten by the Tesco petrol earning options.

Via Texaco, you are effectively getting 1 Virgin mile for every £1.30 spent on petrol (the average price of 1 litre of unleaded).  Let’s compare that with the various ways of earning Clubcard points on petrol:

1.25 Virgin miles per £1 spent at a Tesco-branded filling station (ie 1 Clubcard point per £2 spent, based on swiping a normal Clubcard and not asking for your Tesco credit or debit card to be treated as a Clubcard)

0.96 Virgin miles per £1 spent at any participating Esso filling station which does NOT have a Tesco convenience store attached (technically 1 Clubcard point for every 2 litres of fuel purchased, based on £1.30 per litre)

0.83 Virgin miles per £1 spent at an Esso filling station which has a Tesco convenience store attached (1 Clubcard point per £3 spent).  Full details of the Esso earning rates are here.

If you have a Tesco Mastercard or Tesco debit card, and use this as a Clubcard when paying at a Tesco garage, you earn even more.  It works out at 2.5 Virgin Flying Club miles per £1 spent.  This article explains how you get bonus points for buying petrol with a Tesco payment card.

And all of this ignores the fact that Texaco points can only be converted in chunks of 1,000 litres of petrol, which is a lot of trips to the garage.  Using your Texaco points for retail gift vouchers only requires 500 points.

The bottom line is that, if you want to earn Virgin Flying Club from petrol, you were always better off ignoring the ‘official’ Texaco partnership and buying your fuel at Tesco or Esso instead.  The end of the official partnership between Virgin Atlantic and Texaco Star Points should not be a major concern.

Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss
How to fly long-haul planes on short-haul redemptions!

Comments

1. swhostring says:

Isn’t the first thing to get right —> use Tesco credit/ debit card as your Clubcard but pay on Amex?

2. Not sure if you can always compare Texaco and Tesco fuel.

Actually the Virgin earning rate was about the same as esso fuel stations with a tesco shop.

• swhostring says:

There’s a place for both

Every car (diesel or petrol) needs a decent cleaning fuel or fuel additive from time to time.

I use BP premium diesel in our 3 diesels here in UK from time to time – costs a few pence more per litre but really cleans up the fuel injectors & system, you get a much sharper performance thereafter – meant to improve fuel efficiency as well but for me that’s not the real point, much better to think of an improved responsive engine.

Over at our place in the sun we’re running 2x 20-year-old cars, both bought from new – a Volvo & a BMW, both petrol. Same story – either premium fuel with additives from time to time or Redex system cleaner.

You don’t need to buy a full tank of premium fuel to get the same improvements.

I chuck same premium fuel or Redex in the lawnmowers and the improvement is immediate & startling!

• Lady London says:

My ranking is Shell V-Power with BP Ultimate a very close second.

I’ve also found Total Excellium to be excellent.

I’m definitely going to try your FedEx tip in my old lawnmowers Harry- I shall stand well back to avoid the clouds of black smoke!! 🙂

• 5 cars… ouch!

• swhostring says:

Not really. Company pays for 1. The other 4 don’t cost that much in insurance or maintenance – I’d hazard £800 insurance, £1000 maintenance. Fully depreciated, 3 of them.

• Thanks for this tip – I’ll try the car and the mower now and again

• You know this is a miles and points collection site, right?

• Has the £500 CIN donation been made?

3. Wally1976 says:

Oh no, I’ve got 850-odd Texaco points I was going to transfer when I got to 1000! Haven’t been to a Texaco in a long time though.

• swhostring says:

Shame they stopped giving away those very nice crystal glasses I got free back in 1991

• Lady London says:

My favourite was the meerkats that Texaco had. For a time I put nothing except Texaco fuel in my company car and got them for the children of visiting colleagues not based in the UK. Texaco did very well out of me with those Meerkats.

• I had a clear-out recently and found a box with about 50 little white boxes in it. They were from a 1980s Shell Corgi promotion.

All mint

4. Has anyone else noticed an increase in virgin miles required for some reward flights? I though the max virgin charges for a RTN upper class trip between LHR/LAX was 155,000 Miles …now virgin are looking for between 175,000-210,000 Miles! Has this always been the case?

5. Hugely O/T • BA flight schedules: is there a solitary website that you can visit that in one fell swoop shows you all the various European cities that BA flies to and, most importantly (for my own purposes), also shows the days and THE MULTIPLE FREQUENCIES PER DAY that the airline flies to/from any of these European destinations? I couldn’t seem to find this info on BA.com in anything like one place, that’s all. Thanks 🙂

6. Does the 1 point per £1 spend loophole on Tesco petrol still work, when using the Tesco debit or mastercard for clubcard points (and not payment)?

Would have thought Tesco eager to clampdown on this given that they usually only give 0.5 points per £1 via regular Clubcard swipe….

• Yes, although I don’t think it’s a loophole – isn’t it a deliberate benefit to encourage people to use Tesco Bank products? I don’t see how it’s something to “clampdown” on, since presumably Tesco designed the system in the first place…

• TGLoyalty says:

It’s a deliberate benefit not a loophole