Bits: British Airways drops Bristol and Birmingham Summer services, great new Marriott O2 concerts

News in brief:

British Airways drops Summer 2019 services from Bristol and Birmingham

British Airways appears to be pulling back from its Summer regional flights.  In recent years, the airline has been using its Embraer 190 fleet from London City Airport – which has nothing to do at the weekend when London City is closed – to run flights from the regions to ‘Summer sun’ destinations.

In theory, the 2019 programme should be the biggest ever as a number of new Embraer aircraft are about to be delivered.  However, reservations for the following services have been closed:

Birmingham – Florence
Birmingham – Malaga

Birmingham – Palma Mallorca
Bristol – Florence
Bristol – Malaga
Bristol – Palma Mallorca

All flights were due to start on 18th May.  There are no other Bristol and Birmingham services scheduled.  Routes from Manchester etc remain on sale.

British Airways drops Birmingham and Bristol routes

New Marriott Moments O2 concerts launched

Marriott Rewards has launched some new concert tickets for their suite at the O2 Arena in Greenwich.

The catered box at the O2 is not a bad place to see a concert, as my review here shows. The food and drink on offer is excellent, albeit you are some distance from the stage.

This is a list of the concerts available as of last night.  The first few listed have been around for a while, but there are some good new options for November onwards.

• BTS, 9th October (60,000 points for two tickets)
  • BTS, 10th October (60,000 points for two tickets)
  • Jeff Lynne’s ELO, 20th October (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Bluesfest presents John Fogerty, 25th October (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Bluesfest presents Robert Plant and Van Morrison 26th October (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Bluesfest presents Zac Brown Band, 27th October (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Bluesfest presents Counting Crows and Alison Krauss, 28th October (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • David Byrne, 29th October (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Andrea Bocelli, 2nd November (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Childish Gambino, 4th November (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Jess Glynne, 20th November (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Florence + The Machine, 24th November (60,000 points for two tickets)
  • Florence + The Machine, 25th November (60,000 points for two tickets)
  • Nitro Circus, 24th November (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Ennio Morricone, 26th November (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • The Four Tops & The Temptations, 27th November (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, 30th November (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, 2nd December (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Lauryn Hill, 3rd December (60,000 points for two tickets)
  • Years & Years, 5th December (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Def Leppard, 6th December (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Mariah Carey, 11th December (60,000 points for two tickets)
  • Josh Groban, 12th December (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • The War on Drugs, 13th December (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Madness, 14th December (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Jeff Wayne’s The War of the Worlds, 15th December 2018 (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Nile Rogers & Chic, 19th December (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Disney on Ice Presents Dream Big, 28th December (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Disney on Ice Presents Dream Big, 29th December (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Disney on Ice Presents Dream Big, 30th December (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • The 1975, 18th January (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • The 1975, 19th January (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Snow Patrol, 26th January 2019 (45,000 points for two tickets)
  • Davido, 27th January (45,000 points for two tickets)

Marriott Moments suite London O2 Arena

The SPG Moments home page is here. The Marriott Moments home page is here.  The same concerts appear on both sites.

Remember that the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express credit card comes with a sign-up bonus of 30,000 points. Many of these tickets will sell out before your bonus comes through, but you would have the points ready for when the next wave of tickets is released.  Our review of the card is here.

Lufthansa launches a new UK charge card - partly as a Diners Club! Should you apply? (Part 2)
Exclusive: Etihad Heathrow Terminal 4 lounge takeover by No 1 Lounges confirmed

Comments

1. Dave Barron says:

Off Topic – Had email from Amex today offering me 4000 MR points if I spend £100 or more online during October with certain retailers (including Debenhams.com and Boots.com). Despite email received offer doesn’t yet appear on my account so ive done a webchat to have added. Apparently there are 3 offers being added to cards from today – ranging from a £50 spend for 2000 points, £100 spend for 4000 points and also £250 spend for 7000 points, Worth checking online and via the App to see if you have them!

• Thanks, hopefully those of us who missed out last time will get offers now.

• My wife got the email and it’s not on her account either.

• Feel robbed now as only 5000 points on £250 spend for me at those same retailers.

• I got the 2000 points for spending £50 email, and clicked to save, but it’s been allocated to my only non-MR earning Amex account!

• Dave Barron says:

That’s exactly what happened to me (and not for the first time either!). I did a webchat and as part of that had to send a screenshot of the email as “proof”. Within 48 hours offer should then be applied to correct account.

2. Dave Barron says:

OT – I have both a PRGC and a BAPP – which is best card to self refer for the Amex Nectar card? Also what is historically the best sign up offer on the Nectar card? Thanks in advance!

• Genghis says:

If you transfer MR to avios anyway, tomato tomato. Do you want 9k MR or 9k avios? 9k MR are more valuable for their pluripotentiality.

• Dave Barron says:

Indeed thanks – looks like MR is the best route, just wasn’t sure if both were 9K – many thanks

• @Genghis Wow, now there’s a word you don’t here every day.

• In October of the previous two years there have been substantial signup boosts via links on nectar accounts so keep an eye on yours. I did not bother waiting this year, preferring to take 18k self referral from platinum.

3. Dave Barron says:

Apologies if ive missed this somewhere within the thread of comments – but ive just had this email from Tesco and have immediately taken advantage of it. I have a household account – does anyone know if I also convert £5.00 of my Tesco vouchers and enter my wifes BAEC number whether I may get the bonus twice?!? Worth a punt I suspect!

Did you know that if you’re a Tesco shopper you can turn your Tesco Clubcard points into Avios? So, you’ll be one step closer to your next holiday before you know it.

Every £2.50 worth of Clubcard points used can boost your Avios balance by 600 points. What’s more, if you use £5.00 worth of Clubcard points by 15 November, you will receive a bonus 1,000 Avios reward.

That’s an extra boost for your Avios balance to put towards your next holiday.

• Targeted.

• Shoestring says:

Not targeted

Terms and Conditions
        This promotion is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is a person aged 18 or over and is a British Airways Executive Club (“BAEC”) Member (membership Terms and Conditions apply).
        By taking part in this promotion, Eligible Participants confirm that they accept these Terms and Conditions.
        The Eligible Participant will need to exchange their Tesco Clubcard Vouchers into Avios between 2 October and 15 November 2018 to collect 1,000 bonus Avios.
        To qualify for the 1,000 bonus Avios an Eligible Participant must exchange a minimum of £5.00 in Tesco Clubcard Vouchers in a single transaction, during the Promotional Period.
        The Promotional Period is 00:01 on 2 October 2018 to 23:59 on 15 November 2018.
        The bonus Avios will only be awarded once per British Airways Executive Club account.

• Dave Barron says:

As once per BAEC according to T&C then I will try converting an additional fiver to my wife’s BAEC account to see what happens!

• Shoestring says:

@Dave – I think that’s tough but possible, key thing will be to avoid making the alarm bells ring at Tesco. I think they need a couple of matches in place, so you’d have to align certain details.

• Dave Barron says:

If targeted then at least for once I’ve benefited from such an offer. Worth checking emails though just in case!

4. Can I view my AM booking on any other sky team airline?
    Trying to see what booking class it is booked under.

• Rob, FYI.
      Last weeks tweet helped, result is positive.

• Result!

• To add another bit of positive news, my existing Cat 1-5 certificate at Marriott has been updated to new Cat 1-5 certificate following a complaint. Quite chuffed, both results on the same day!

• BlueHorizonUK says:

Can confirm a positive result here too. Pushed back and they resissued the tickets and assigned seats.

5. Shoestring says:

O/T Airport parking – I thought I’d better get my act together & picked up 15 days DriveFly Meet & Greet at LHR T3 over Xmas & NY for £87. Price seemed a bit glitchy (too low) but I’ve no doubt it’ll be honoured. Other portals offering same dates, same DF M&G were quite a bit more expensive. Holiday Extras thru the MSE portal.

• Seems a std price to me.
      I have similar quote for T4 for two weeks, haven’t booked yet though.

• Shoestring says:

Take the point but DF has got more expensive this last year, much harder to get decent prices on Meet & Greet. Sort of proven by the fact the other discount portals were about £25 more expensive for exactly the same service from DF.

Anyway – anybody who like me has neglected until now to book your Xmas parking – get your act together!

6. OT:

are there any referred amex cards for which the referring plat holder doesn’t get the 18k MR bonus?

I’m testing the referral link, and on clicking through to other cards at the bottom it says under “friends bonus” things like “Your friend will receive 9,000 Avios when you are approved” or “Your friend will collect 5,000 Nectar points when you are approved”

7. OT. Have anyone withdraw money from IHG cc via Curve since last week and any feedback whether it is still ok to be used without advanced cash charge?

8. Tom Cook says:

Not sure if this has been covered before, if so apologies, but in referring from my Plat my friend can only see the Plat, gold and green card, not the BAPP etc.

Has anyone else had this?

• Had this when viewing on mobile, when I tried on laptop chrome there was an option for ‘other’ that I couldn’t see on mobile.

• Previous posts have suggested trying different browsers.

9. I got the Tesco offer too for bonus of 1000 Avios of convert £5.00 of Clubcard vouchers. Shame I don’t really shop at Tesco and have less than 100 points. Any tips on best way to collect points befor cut-off!

10. Shoestring says:

Deadline to collect points is 18/10, so a certain need for alacrity.

@Sarah – your options are limited these days. Groceries or Wines (closing on 8th Oct) https://www.tesco.com/wine/zone/default.aspx?name=specialoffers – stock up on Xmas wines?

I don’t think you’d get Tesco Bank points from (say) Tesco insurance, in time.

Tesco Filling Station – decent points available, see HfP articles on how to maximise points (worth researching). When paying for fuel at a Tesco Petrol Station, you collect 1 Clubcard point per £1 of fuel if you use your Tesco Credit card as a Clubcard (regardless of how you actually pay).

Hfp answer: Buy fuel at a Tesco-branded garage. Use your Tesco MasterCard as a Clubcard and pay with either a Tesco Bank debit card or Tesco Premium MasterCard.
    For every £1 spent on petrol, you would earn:
    1 Clubcard point (earning rate is 1 per £1 when using a Tesco credit or debit card as a Clubcard) = 2.4 Avios
    1 Clubcard point for paying with your Tesco Premium MasterCard or Tesco Bank debit card = 2.4 Avios

Assuming you need £450 of spend to get you over the 500 Tesco points hurdle, can you do it? Giftcards not helpful on points these days.

11. @shoestring Thanks, I’ll give it a go!

12. Shoestring says:

O/T Did your flight get delayed more than 3 hrs because of the BA ‘in-house’ strikes? Claim your compo. CEDR finding against BA.

Relevant:
    6. I am mindful that, in this case, the strike was not a ‘wildcat’ strike, but was pre-planned and based on grievances for which the airline entered mediation with the Mixed Fleet’s union representatives. I am satisfied that the strike cannot be considered an extraordinary circumstance as the management of staff is inherent in the normal activity of the air carrier. Additionally, where the airline has it in its power to reach agreement with the union, the strike could not be said to be outside of the airline’s actual control. I have not been provided with any information as to how the issues were resolved, however I find that it is not necessary to investigate this as the strike relates to staff relations that are within the normal activity of the air carrier.

7. In view of this, I find that the airline has not established that it has a defence of extraordinary circumstances in respect of the cancellation of the Flight or the replacement flight. I therefore find that the passenger is entitled to the sum of €600.00 in respect of the Flight and I direct the airline to pay this to the passenger.”