Bits: the Marriott Daily Win game now lets you win daily!, random musings from my trip, Hilton in Kitzbuhel

News in brief:

The saga of the Marriott daily win game is resolved!

A few days ago, after an unexpected delay, Marriott Rewards launched its ‘daily play’ game ’29 Ways to Stay’.

Click here to play.

The good news is that daily play now means daily win.

There are 2 MILLION prizes to be won, although most are just 50 Marriott Rewards points.  There is a huge grand prize where one person wins a 2-night stay at EVERY Marriott brand – that is 29 stays in hotel!

The game launched with confusion. The game implied that you could try to win an instant prize every day.  It turned out, however, that the game was only letting you win once – ever.  All future daily plays got you another entry in the grand draw but no more daily prizes.

Marriott has now changed the rules / fixed their dodgy IT (delete as applicable).  You can now play ’29 Ways to Stay’ each day and you could win a prize each day for another three weeks.

The daily prizes are:

• 87 prizes of 4-night hotel stays (3 winners per brand, you don’t get to choose the brand you get)
  • 75,000 DAILY prizes of 50 Marriott Rewards points
  • 5,000 DAILY prizes of 500 Marriott Rewards points
  • 2,500 DAILY prizes of 1,000 Marriott Rewards points
  • 500 DAILY prizes of 2,000 Marriott Rewards points
  • 250 DAILY prizes of 3,000 Marriott Rewards points
  • 100 DAILY prizes of 4,000 Marriott Rewards points
  • 75 DAILY prizes of 5,000 Marriott Rewards points
  • 50 DAILY prizes of 10,000 Marriott Rewards points
  • 16 DAILY prizes of 20,000 Marriott Rewards points

Marriott states that it expects you to have a 50/50 chance each day of winning a prize.

The link to play is here.  Good luck.

PS.  I won 500 points today!

Marriott 29 Ways to Stay game now working

Random musings ….

Over the last week I have been in Amsterdam, Prague, Palma and Barcelona.  I have written about some of it, and there is more to come, but there are a few other quick things to mention:

Cabify is an excellent taxi app if you’re in Spain.  It is far more effective than Uber, at least in Barcelona.  It runs in English and you can earn Avios with it, not just in Iberia Plus but also in BAEC.

The Hilton Diagonal Mar in Barcelona, now refurbished, is not a bad hotel.  You are not in the city centre but the price reflects that.  You are two minutes from the beach and many rooms face it but it isn’t really a tourist beach.  A metro line is very close and a 200-shop retail complex is opposite.  The executive lounge is good and has an exterior balcony and as a Diamond I was upgraded to a seaview room.  Rooms are large and redecorated although the bathrooms don’t seem to have been done.  Breakfast is €27 if not free due to your status.  What was EXCEPTIONALLY poor, however, is that the pool was closed ‘for the season’ despite the weather being outstanding.  I don’t care if they close the pool restaurant but closing the entire pool when it is mid-20s is crazy.  I won’t be writing a full review but you can find out more on the Hilton website here.

I was impressed by the W Barcelona.  The location isn’t the best if you want to spend a lot of time downtown but the hotel sits on a great bit of beach and has two outdoor swimming pools.  I didn’t see any rooms and I imagine it is a major party scene during the Summer but on a Wednesday in October it was quite serene with a lot of conference traffic.

I was less sure about W Amsterdam where I attended a reception although I never saw a room.  The location is great, however, being almost directly on Dam Square.  You can be in De Bijenkorf, the top department store, within 60 seconds.

I had a tour from the General Manager of the new Barcelona EDITION, part of Marriott, which opened a month ago.  The basement bar here – run as a supper club, reservations required, one sitting per night with a cabaret show included, is stunning, as is the rooftop bar.  If you don’t stay here, try to pop in for a drink on the roof.  Some suites have amazing views from the – ludicrously large – bath tubs due to full height windows.  The hotel website is here and we put some pictures on our Instagram feed.

On my Czech Airlines charter flight (which was specially catered), I was served a full hot meal with wine in Economy on a short haul flight.  It was just like the old days ….!  Czech is normally ‘buy on board’ snacks so don’t think you’ll get this yourself.

Grand Tirolia Hotel Hilton Curio Collection

Hilton launches a Curio Collection hotel in Kitzbuhel

Hilton’s ‘Curio Collection‘ of independent hotels has added Grand Tirolia Hotel Kitzbuhel.

This looks very interesting because there are a real lack of ski and alpine hotels in Europe where you can redeem points.  Grand Tirolia is an existing hotel which came under new ownership this year and has now linked with Curio.  The hotel spa includes indoor and outdoor heated pools, 11 treatment rooms and six saunas and adjacent to the 18-hole Eichenheim golf course.  It would work well for either a ski holiday or a summer hiking break.

It is not yet available on hilton.com for booking and I’m not sure when you will be able to start earning and redeeming Hilton Honors points here.  You can find out more on the hotel website here.

Barclays is changing Travel Plus Pack - does it still make sense for account holders?
Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss

IHG

Comments

1. CountryKerry says:

OT: Lloyds Avios just sent me new cards as my last ones expire shortly… the new cards expire in July next year! I’ve never seen such a short life on new cards!

• Interesting to have a shorter expiry – lots of previous posts with longer dates, which of course didn’t mean anything but shorter dates is a bit more unusual!

2. Andrew-a says:

OT: I have a IHG card free night that expires March next year. In the T & C’s it says “booking dates” from 4 March 2017 to 14 March 2018. Does anyone know if i can book a stay for after 14 March next year as long as I book before that date?
    Thanks in advance.

3. OT/ still SPG/Marriott

Has anybody been in the suite for the previous NFL games at Wembley? I have the package for next weekend, would like to know what to expect in respect to food/drink (should we eat before?) is it buffet/ free pour drinks?

Any other tips?

• AndyGWP says:

Apparently, they are sending info out this week where we will find out more 🙂

(that’s what they said when I emailed them a few weeks ago to find out what the deal was with dress-code / food etc)

• Scallder says:

See you both there! From the Marriott Moments page for the tickets:

“Take in the action with exclusive access to the Pitchview Suite, complete with full length panoramic windows, providing unbelievable views across the Wembley pitch. You can also soak up the stadium atmosphere by directly accessing the seats in the bowl from the suite and enjoy food and drinks as the Philadelphia Eagles take on the Jacksonville Jaguars.”

Maybe not expecting self pour but expecting free flowing drinks and a decent spread of food?!

Was planning on emailing them tomorrow as they said previously they were now going to be sending out tickets and haven’t received them yet…

• Yea, they took my name/ address etc so I assumed they would be sending something in the post too (unlike the SPG suite at the O2).

Looking forward to this one!

4. Unfortunately, you are not eligible to win prizes in this promotion. You can still play to explore our 29 brands.

???

5. Rob,

I am guessing you were on the plane spotters Megado. Did you pack your anorak?

• It is a broad church at Megado (including a few HFP readers after I plugged it). I mainly hung out with the hotel and airline staff, plus David who posts on here occasionally.

The need to keep working meant I skipped some of the evening parties.

• Fair enough.

I’m probably permanently scarred from my experience of working in the shop on the top of Queens buildings Heathrow as a student in the 80’s!

6. OT: Anyone been successful at using the free Ambassador night past the 31st December expiry?

7. Shoestring says:

Just logged into my Nectar card (‘dead’ but I’m keeping it for Shop Small) – and it also has just had the £5 off £20 on Amazon spend added. Wasn’t there a week ago.

Up to 7x now! 🙂

• Talking of nectar, it seems there is no limit by category on double up this year so you should be able to double £100 to £200 and spend it all on wine if you wish.

• Shoestring says:

Yep but it just works out at getting 1p/ point – at Sainsbury’s normal wine prices, which don’t seem too great. Might coincide with Buy 6 bottles, Get 25% off, I suppose.

• Scallder says:

Indeed however if planning on buying toys would go in by Tuesday as they’re up to half price (most it seems are half price) so would get toys now and then use Nectar points on other categories.

• Shoestring says:

Toys, schmoys. My kids decided they just want money these days – which makes life easy. Plus the occasional iPhone or iPad, I guess.

• Ha ha, I thought money would be your worst nightmare, I suppose you could always get a few points via curve ATM.
          I agree with Scallder, I imagine all other deals will dry up during doubleup. Could have used a backup smarphone but they do not seem to be included, the instore argos and ee effect I guess.

8. OT: Norwegian Reward now another one to consider for AVIS car rental. Got the following in an email

“Get a free additional driver with Avis car rental
    Norwegian Reward has teamed up with Avis to give you exclusive member benefits. Every time you hit the road you get:

• 10% CashPoints earnings
    • A Reward member discount of up to 15%
    • Free additional driver “

9. Thanks for the tips, just won 10,000 points in Marriott competition!

10. I have stayed at Hilton Diagonal Mar – it is a decent enough hotel. The pool is a Puro-beach type thing though when it is open and I believe they charge you to rent loungers etc. Expect loud club-type music and drunk people, so you are probably lucky it was closed 🙂