IHG

How to earn airline miles from your Airbnb stays

If you have started to use Airbnb for some of your travelling, you may have thought that you had to give up earning airline miles from your stays.

This is no longer true.

(If you’ve never used Airbnb, you can use Anika’s referral link here to get £25 off your first booking of £55 or more.)

There are three ways of earning miles from your stays.   You can’t earn Avios or Virgin Flying Club miles, unfortunately, but these three options are better than nothing.

All of these deals require you to book via the relevant airline portal.  Unless you cancel and rebook, you cannot get miles for any existing Airbnb bookings.

airbnb Delta Virgin America Qantas

Delta Air Lines

US airline Delta is offers a relatively ungenerous 1 Skymile per $1 spent.  Unless you have an existing balance I wouldn’t bother, although you can top up your Delta miles via an American Express Membership Rewards transfer.

Full details are on this page.

Delta is a SkyTeam alliance member and a Virgin Atlantic partner.

You can also earn up to 25,000 Delta Skymiles for becoming an Airbnb host and generating $2,500 of qualifying earnings.  You can learn more via the link above.

Qantas

You can earn 1 Qantas Point per A$1 spent on Airbnb with 500 bonus points on your first booking.  Bookings need to be made via this page of the Qantas website.

New Airbnb hosts can earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points on their first listing created through qantas.com/airbnb when they reach a total booking value of A$500 excluding fees and taxes.

When the Qantas deal originally launched it was restricted to Australian residents.  This rule now appears to have disappeared and the offer seems to be open to everyone.

You can use Qantas points to book British Airways flights, but there are few other ways of earning Qantas Points as a UK resident.  The Qantas website is here.

ANA

ANA is the most recent airline to start offering miles for booking Airbnb stays.  ANA is a member of Star Alliance and is the other major Japanese long-haul airline alongside JAL.  Click here for details.

You can earn up to 200 ANA miles when you book your Airbnb stays via the link on ANA’s website.

Conclusion

None of these deals are hugely exciting, but if you have an active account with these airlines then it is worth crediting your Airbnb stays.  If nothing else, it may extend the expiry date of your existing miles.

What are the best credit card sign-up deals for November? - plus a news round-up
LAST CHANCE: Head for Points writer, London, £40,000 pa

Hilton

Comments

1. I’m a bit wary of Airbnb. It looks great in principle but if you scratch the surface the property owner can cancel your rental up to a week in advance and suffer very little in the way of penalty. So if they got a better offer from a friend or relative they could seriously scupper your holiday!

• I had an airbnb booking cancelled a week or so before arriving in Japan two years ago. I was given substantial credit for by airbnb but obviously the best places are gone by then. It depends what you want… In the end we managed to get a pretty good place in Shibuya.

• AndyGWP says:

Likewise, I’ve kicked up a stink with AirBNB before and they’ve more than compensated me for the increase in prices / lack of availability… I could see it being risky if it was a booking close to the venue of a big event though (ie. Superbowl, FA Cup final etc)

• I am about to pull the trigger on 8 nights in Miami for a family holiday next year. The landlord being able to cancel so easily is a major concern for me. Will AirBnB (or Amex travel insurance?) help out if i am left without a place to stay ?!? The huge savings on booking a flat within well known hotels in Miami seems too good to be true…..

• I don’t know how you would stand with the insurance – you would get back what you paid for the accommodation so technically you wouldn’t have suffered any loss.

• Agreed. But in this case, it is a flat that is in a hotel, that you can book direct with hotel…. So if the identical “room” is bookable for 5 grand more, can I claim the difference?

• the_real_a says:

Quite interesting, i have never heard of anyone claiming on insurance for AirBnb… i wonder if there are any datapoints?

• Simon, I doubt they would cover the difference for the same accommodation. If you were left high and dry with nowhere to stay I think they would expect you to get a hotel room within a specific budget. But let me know if they say different!

Incidentally, why is the unit being rented out at such a low price? I would be a bit suspicious!

• Anna, there are loads of 1 and 2 bed flats on the top floors of the hotel. Many are lived in, some are rentals on AirBnB etc, and some are owned by the hotel. Its still about $4000 for a week. Which im guessing is still a great return for the owner. But the hotel price is closer to $10k. I guess that gives you more peace of mind and maybe more cleaning/room service etc. etc

• ankomonkey says:

In my younger days, Shibuya was the best part of Tokyo (read nightlife rather than temples and zen gardens). Things might have worked out for the best!!!

• It’s worth filtering by ‘Superhost’ because one of the criteria for that is a history of not cancelling.

• Done quite a few around nights Japan and Italy, no issues at all. Saved me a lot on hotels that were in similar locations and on food as you get a full flat.

• I always book a hotel as a backup.

2. Thomas O'Brien says:

If I use the Delta Airbnb link can I transfer the miles to Virgin? Is there a minimum transfer?

3. AndyGWP says:

Did I imagine that Virgin or perhaps AA had a similar tie in with Airbnb somehow?

4. Benylin says:

OT: Is it ever good value to use Avios to book hotels direct with BA?

• It’s about 0.6p per point so not great, to be honest, unless they have a good deal (but even if they do, you can pay cash instead on the Avios hotel site). If you get all your Avios from work flights, though, you will feel differently from someone who earns via a credit card and gave up cashback or some other benefit to get them.

5. Mikeact says:

We’ve always been lucky I guess…always booked using ‘SuperHost ‘….and had some fabulous stays, Aus / NZ / N America as well as closer to home around Europe. My son and family struck lucky with a half term rental right near the beach in Dorset. Its a question of homework and reading between the lines, like anything.

6. Surprised at some of the comments. I have very average low annual income/no company expenditure so I have never accrued Avios via hotel booking etc but have travelled the world extensively and have used Airbnb in 95% of my stays. From Japan for a tiny place (as is standard in JP), South Africa, Vietnam, Thailand, Florida, California, Poland, Italy, Barbados, St Lucia, and have paid no more than £30pn for me, wife and son with Airbnb. We have a florida Xmas this year and again no more than £30pn for own place with our own cooking area that saves us money to eating out. These are modest places not luxury. Have never had a cancellation.

We always make sure place has lots of reviews and you can see the number of times they have cancelled in prior stays. I love Airbnb its a shame, apart from the above, you cannot accrue Avios/Virgin.

7. I host on Airbnb and also use it when travelling if staying for four nights or more. Have had a few tales hosting but the “worst” was an Airbnb in Japan that wasn’t that clean. As has been stated, take the time to read the reviews and make sure the listing has been online for a while. I’m a Superhost and would not consider cancelling on a whim – it would only because it would be to the guests detriment that I would cancel. There are some excellent properties available if you look, often cheaper than a hotel with simple things like being able to do all your washing before heading home.