Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Is Virgin Atlantic planning to move to 1-2-1 seating in Upper Class?

Virgin Atlantic will be receiving the first of its new A350 long-haul aircraft in 2019.

I have long argued that the current Upper Class seat is no longer fit for purpose.  Revolutionary at the time, it never caught on with other airlines apart from Air New Zealand.  The trend in recent years, which I agree with, is a move towards ‘cubby hole’ seats where extra personal space is created by slotting your feet into a gap under the seat in front.

One Mile At A Time reports that Virgin Atlantic has scheduled an A350 flight to Newark for 9th September 2019.  This is a test flight and is not bookable for cash.  The flight comes with an accompanying seat map:

New Virgin Atlantic seat map A350

I am not an expert on how these maps are presented, but One Mile At A Time uses examples to show that this implies one of two things:

a herringbone layout – similar to what Qatar Airways has installed on its 787 and A350 fleet, see below – in what is effectively a \ /\ / format, or

forward facing seats with alternating positions, so your seat faces the storage area of the seat in front, and vice versa, ie the SWISS seat shown below

SWISS business class seat

Hopefully we can get an early opportunity to see the real thing early next year.

How to earn Virgin Atlantic miles from UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Flying Club miles from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Flying Club miles.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Comments (119)

• Anna says:

I’ve had 3 x Wilko since Monday but no email!

• lev441 says:

I have just added them on my supplementary BA amex so they are still there…

• Paul S says:

Not there for me either

• Crafty says:

Only Wilko was there for me, but live chat was happy to add the others. They did require evidence I was Sent the email.

• Dave Barron says:

If you’ve had an email take a screenshot and discuss with Amex on live chat. Historically after a day or two the offers get added to your card

• Doug M says:

Same email for me, no WH Smith or Superdrug offer online, Amex CS saying the offers have all been used. Suspect IT issues and CS playing loose with the truth.

• ant says:

OT: Amex travel. I have the offer on my Platinum card. I tried to book a car hire but it wasn’t going through so live chat suggested i call the Platinum number. The transaction is now showing as “AMEX PLATINUM & GOLD CARD TRAVEL SVS” as opposed to all others “Amex Travel”. Do you think the car hire will count towards my £600 spent?

• Genghis says:

Superdrug offer worked on Superdrug GCs yesterday. The Superdrug I went to noted that they had been having trouble activating Amazon GCs. The cashier tried again but no luck. They said it was happening in other stores too. I may try at some other stores buying Amazon GCs with Superdrug GCs to liquidate.

• Mark Wheeler says:

This morning the Redditch Superdrug store had trouble activating Amazon but it worked in the end. Also used WH Smith and Wilko or GC and got email for all.

Only downside is lack of choice of cards, but that will vary between stores.