Expedia drops Nectar as an earning and spending partner

Expedia and Nectar have announced that they are ending their partnership on 15th December.

At present, you can earn Nectar points on all Expedia bookings at the following rates:

Package bookings: 1,000 Nectar points
Hotel-only bookings: 200 Nectar points
Flight-only bookings: 200 Nectar points
Car-only bookings: 200 Nectar points

With such paltry earn rates, it is hardly surprising that few people were choosing to use Expedia purely because of the carrot of Nectar points.  Remember that, in 99% of cases, Nectar points are worth exactly 0.5p when redeemed.

You will continue to earn points on bookings made up to 15th December, irrespective of when you travel.

Expedia drops Nectar

From the same date, it will no longer be possible to redeem Nectar points for Expedia vouchers.   To be honest, since they were worth the same 0.5p per point of value as redeeming them in Sainsbury’s, this is not a great loss.  You can always use your points to pay for your groceries and use the money saved to book travel!

Sainsbury’s bought Nectar earlier this year, and I’m not sure if they will consider this a loss or if they are happy to see the scheme shrink down to a pure Sainsbury’s ‘earn and burn’ scheme.

Expedia Rewards, the lacklustre Expedia loyalty scheme which we covered here, will continue.

Love Clubcard and Nectar, don’t collect Avios?  You should be reading our sister site, Shopper Points (www.shopperpoints.co.uk), which covers the latest Clubcard and Nectar offers without any distracting frequent flyer talk!  Why not check it out now?

Credit & Charge Card Reviews (14): Virgin Atlantic Reward Mastercard
Two 'buy Avios' deals - from 0.84p per point!

Head for Points is sponsored by:

Magazine montage

Up to 30% off in Hilton's Winter Sale

Click here to find out more and book

Comments

1. No good to me but an email from Accor just now for bookings to Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and India (up to 40% discount at participating hotels, 10% in India) booked by 15 November and you’ll be entered into a prize draw for 500,000 Le Club AccorHotels Rewards points.

• Thanks. Almost went for the Pullman Bali which has a good rate on this but eventually persuaded myself otherwise.

Watch out that the stated rates exclude VAT, which is quite a lot to add to get to the true price.

Anyone found any real bargains?

2. Amex MR -> Hilton transfers: I have a few (1.3k) Hilton points due to expire in 7 days. Obviously small change so not too bothered, but transferred 200 MR points to Hilton a couple of weeks ago, to reset the expiry. They haven’t turned up in my Hilton account yet. Anyone else had a successful transfer recently? I remember seeing a message about maintenance, but I think that should have finished now…

• It will be a Hilton issue I’m sure as points from stays are not always posting since the update to their systems

• Same here. Checked my transfer last night on Amex and it still says pending so at least that is a good sign.

• Same, points haven’t credited after two weeks. Was onto them yesterday and they tried to blame Amex, told them I thought unlikely since Hilton are the ones that have just conducted a big IT upgrade/downgrade. Anyway, they have opened a case. Very annoying as want to close my plat to reset the clock.

3. A Dickinson says:

If you buy via the Groupon deal is there a Foreign Transaction fee you’d need to account for as-well in the price per avios? or is this balanced out by the exchange rate

4. joe green says:

OT: I had BA Amex until May but after I cancelled I discovered in September there was a balance of 54p owed to me which I only transferred then.
    Would I be ok for the bonus if I apply now (more than 6 months since cancellation) or will it be only once that balance was cleared.

Thanks!

5. Hi all,

Does anyone have a clear preference on winter sun in the Canary Islands and which island in particular? I’m having a tough time deciding on which one to choose. It would be my wife and I for a week or so over Christmas/New Year. Not really keen on huge crowds or “Magaluf” style places… Many thanks in advance for any tips. 1DES1.

• The quieter islands out of the main holiday destinations, Fuerteventura & Lanzarote can be unpredictable with the weather in winter, sometimes it’s only in the high 60s or so, so it depends whether you want to sunbathe. The south Tenerife is more likely to be hot and outside the big resorts is quite stunning, there are mountains, canyons and volcanoes, including the incredible Teide National Park. The capital, Santa Cruz, is very cospolitan and has great shops, architecture and museums. Not many people know that this is where Nelson lost his arm!

• TescoTease says:

Club La Santa for a bit of triathlon tennis/ golf training!

• Hi! I was born in the Canary Islands and lived there until I turned 18. The good thing about the Canary Islands is that each island is different: the atmosphere, the natural beauty, etc is unique to each island. The bad thing is, you have to choose.
      Usually the smaller ones (La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro) are a bit laid back, not a lot of tourism (barely any if you go to La Gomera and El Hierro, some in La Palma but very small) and rich in natural elements (La Palma is really nice and good for trekking, mountain bike,…). However, if you are looking for beaches, these three islands are not good for that purpose.
      If you want beaches, i’d advice going east, Fuerteventura, Lanzarote, and Gran Canaria. Lanzarote was my fav island during my childhood as we used to spend some time there during our summer holidays. If you go, Timanfaya and Cesar Manrique is a must. Fuerteventura is mainly a desert, with nice beaches, but can become windy (good for wind related water sports).
      Then you have the two big islands Tenerife and Gran Canaria. Even though they are like tourism magnets, you can still find remote, more secluded, chilled areas. Avoid staying in the touristic towns.

• Our go-to place for a cheap week in the sun is Playa de Mogan in Gran Canaria which has all the facilities and some decent restaurants, as well as it’s own pleasant micro-climate sandwiched between the mountains. Not so cheap in the middle of winter though when everyone wants to escape the cold weather!

• Fuerteventura had very little to do on it we found. Great to relax or go to the beach but not much else, even with a car.
      Tenerife has lots of touristy things to do but more crowds/touts.

6. OT.
    I have offer on Amex card, but did not save to card. Any chance I can still get the offer?
    £100 at stake!

• When did you spend? Is the offer still there? Save it now, and if you’re lucky, the payment won’t process until after you’ve saved it.

7. ot
    New Virgin card offer.
    Can the bonus and extra current bonus be transferred to HH points?
    or is it only the ongoing spend points that can be transferred?
    ty

8. Nate1309 says:

OT did anyone have an email form curve this morning? It popped up on my phone but seems to have disappeared form my inbox. Just wondering if it was anything exciting….

• check your junk folder?

• Nate1309 says:

thanks thats where it was, strange, seemed to come into my inbox and then get moved to junk after that. outlook app on ios.

• I got one about a survey asking what changes i’d like to see. Thought they were re-launching this week though!

• Meh.. they recently issued an email telling customers ATMs will be chargeable from that same week, no notice! They’re better off asking people for their feedback post-launch…Curve be crazy!..

9. Oh Richard, a well-know capitalist shark…

10. OT I can confirm gift vouchers work on the Amex offer for Sainsburys

• Thanks for confirming. Has anyone had luck buying vouchers from superdrug to trigger the Amex offer? I bought on Saturday… transaction showing as processed but no sign of £10 credit so far.

11. Adam Brown says:

On the Groupon deal, don’t forget to go through Iberia Plus Store (assuming they are still on there) in order to get some bonus points. Will hopefully offset some of the Foreign Transaction Fees.

OT – Has anyone else had an issue receiving their LLoyds Avios? I always receive mine on 10th or 11th but this month haven’t had any. I guess it is due to the move over to BA from Avios but a slightly worrying start!

• Mr Sean Donaghy says:

I can’t seem to find the link on Iberia’s website for the Plus Store. I thought exactly the same it worked for me before/

• Adam Brown says:

Don’t think it will work as reading the T&Cs it says:

*No ofrecemos los 2.000, 4.000, 8.000, 12.000 o 20.000 Avios (o cualquier cantidad de Avios) que usted compre a través de las Promociones con Groupon.

Basically – We do not offer the 2.000 etc.. or any amount of Avios when you buy them through a promotion with Groupon. – I clicked through anyway just in case but it looks like no additional Avios!

• This has been there for the whole time. Even though they say that, you do get (sometimes) Avios when going through the shopping portal, but obviously nothing is guaranteed. If you get some, great; if you don’t, there’s nothing you can do! But every little helps.

• Re Lloyd’s Avios, I haven’t received either. Normally credited on the 4th…

• Re: lloyds Avios. Mine went direct to my BA account this month even though I still have an open Avios account.

• My lloyds avios also went direct to BA. They posted 5 days before the avios being transferred from my closing avios.com account arrived.