The new name for Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest will be ….

The new name for Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest will be ….

…. Marriott Bonvoy, it seems.  Which is a bit odd.

The name is, of course, a play on ‘bon voyage’.  Whilst there has been no official announcement, if you do a Google search for ‘Marriott Bonvoy’ you will find some trademark registration websites which show various recent Marriott filings under that name.

What appeared to be a Marriott test site was also accessible for a few hours last week.  It reportedly shows that Platinum Premier Elite will be renamed Titanium Elite whilst those on 100+ nights and with $20,000+ of spend will be called Ambassador Elite.  This means that Marriott Bonvoy will have FIVE elite levels:

• Silver Elite (10-24 nights)
  • Gold Elite (25-49 nights)
  • Platinum Elite (50-74 nights)
  • Titanium Elite (75-99 nights)
  • Ambassador Elite (100+ nights and $20k of annual spend)

The new name for Marriott Rewards

In reality, benefits are very similar once you hit Platinum Elite, with the upgrades and the guaranteed 4pm check-out kicking in.  There are some screenshots on the One Mile At A Time blog here.

To be honest, I had my money on ‘Marriott Preferred Guest’ or even ‘Marriott Rewards’ (ie no change) but it seems I underestimated Marriott!

Don’t forget that some nasty changes will happen to the Bonvoy redemption chart in January.  The new top category launches AND peak date pricing begins.  This means that the top redemption price jumps from 60,000 points per night to 100,000 points.  We will be covering this change more during December in case you want to lock in any stays.

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card?  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

More news on how IHG will rebrand the Principal and De Vere hotels
BOOK NOW: 108 new IHG PointBreaks hotels for just 5,000 to 15,000 points (some decent!)

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. Hugely OT! Trying to settle finance agreement with BMW for 25k but they won’t allow credit cards to pay off credit – has anyone experienced this and found a way around- would try curve but also concerned that could be classed as a cash advance by cc issuers creation and virgin money. Thanks in advance!

• We recently settled our balloon payment but couldn’t figure out a way to earn points from doing so. Annoying as £17k on a BA Amex Plus would’ve done nicely

• Not looking great then! Might try a small overpayment as a test via curve linked to virgin

• No cash fees using Curve from Virgin so far for me. Best to try small amount first and wait for statement just to be sure.

• If you can be bothered, you could get a loan via Creation, use that to pay off the BMW finance then use Curve to pay off the loan. Creation doesn’t charge for payments made by debit card.

• Some with Curve, rest with Tesco debit card? At least chance of 1 CC point per £8 if they classify it OK.

• I’ve just called to make a 1k overpayment however they won’t do it as I only have 2 payments left! So going to do some on virgin via curve and take a risk then rest on Tesco!

• Made the exact same call today and had same response. I am told final payments can be split across debit cards but they need to be in my name (ruling out spliting with wife’s Curve card) and need to be made during the same call (ruling out splitting across days to max curve daily limits) tempted to test the latter by hanging up after making first £3750 payment or more realistically caling back today to speak to a supervisor as I dont see why I cant make part payments on diff days in the final month. Also now looking at part exchange options to then max on next car’s initial deposit (apparently BMW accept Amex for deposits).

• Depends on dealership – mine (Reading) would only accept a max of £2500 on Amex for deposit, although that was just before the EU cap was imposed.

2. The Lord says:

OT – T-355 seats come available via call centre at midnight UK time. Are they loaded online at the same time or is there a delay? Thanks

3. OT: Missing SPG card welcome bonus finally credited, but instead of 22k I got only 20k.. Will need to chase again I guess!!

4. Wongster says:

OT: Amex Shop Small starting 1st Dec – just wondering does anyone know for certain if my Lloyds Amex still participates in this event? I would like to think it does, it’ll be a perfect swan song for the card. Thanks!

• Not this year

• Rob Walker says:

No, Lloyds cards are not eligible this year. They’re specifically mentioned as excluded in the Shop Small FAQ.

“Cards issued by Lloyds Bank do not qualify”

A shame as they were included last year. I guess it’s just part of the sun setting process on these cards. I recently paid another £24 annual fee – I was expecting to get the letter about the replacement beforehand to be honest. That said, I never really use the AMEX unless abroad. I always seem to be chasing a signup bonus on another card.

• Wongster says:

I love the Lloyds Amex abroad – no chance of DCC – at 1.25 Avios per £ and zero FX fees it’s about the best points earning foreign use credit card there is!

• Rather annoyingly the Amex never works for me abroad. It always gets declined. I’m always stuck using the mastercard.

• Couldn’t agree more!! I have hit the £7k spend for the voucher just on overseas spend every year for the last 5 years.

I really have no idea what I will do without it.

• Shoestring says:

@Neil – use another card?

• @Shoestring – I can’t believe I never thought about that….!!! Really

5. OT: Can someone remind me how I can transfer Avios from BA to Iberia now that you cannot do this through the Avios site? I can’t find an option anywhere on the BA site, I am hoping it is still possible and quick as I want to use my 90,000 Iberia points before Dec 1st and I don’t quite have enough!

• Login to BAEC account > Manage My Account (top left) > Combine My Avios

• What about Iberia to BA?

I tried to use Aer Club but the registration kept failing.

• Should let you do it in both directions? IB website should also have similar functionality.

• No, functionality is broken (restricted?) at the moment. Can only send to Iberia. Have to use avios.com to move to BA.

@Chris, were you trying to ‘reactivate’ a closed account or create a new one from Aer Club? If the former, personal details must match exactly. May be try Vueling to create account.

• Shoestring says:

Steve-B that often depends on specific a/c & whether it’s in a BAEC household a/c. As of checking yesterday, my wife *could* send points IB—>BAEC, whereas I couldn’t. (I expelled her from our HHA, keeping the kids’ a/cs for myself).

• Good point Harry, had forgotten that I’m in a HHA.

6. Dougie Forde says:

OT Booked a bargain Flybe flight for 4 from Cardiff to Rome weekend of the Italy – Wales rugby.

The group leader has been contacted by Flybe to say that the flight is overbooked and would we be willing to move to another flight. Needless to say that request was politely declined. They have suggested that we should get to the airport early to make sure we get on the flight even though we paid for allocated seats at time of booking.

Small wonder Flybe are in difficulties if things like this can happen. Anybody else had a similar experience and what was the outcome?

7. I believe the website is milesandmorecards.co.uk

8. you need to have received the Diners club card. If you don’t have it already, call them and they will provide the info necessary to register

9. OT: Anyone know if the amex paypal offer cumulative? bought stuff in 1 transaction but came as 3 separate payments

• I have to call them to trigger the offer as I too made 3 separate payments

• Not sure but I have made a few transactions over £30 and it hasn’t shown as being redeemed yet!

• Same here – called and they put a note on my account to check after 90 days of the offer closing. Suspect I’ll have to chase it up next year.

• It’s weird – I spent £50 on three things from Next (paid in a owner) and it didn’t trigger but used it for £200 to top up Zeek and I got an immediate email through from Amex.

10. Shoestring says:

Here are some instructions on installing & using the BPme app

11. MR POINTS To HH at 3-1.
    Transferred 1k into HH but only received 2k HH.
    Anyone know if you can get 3-1?