Aer Lingus and Supervalu launch a NYC competition

Aer Lingus AerClub has launched a new promotion with the SuperValu supermarket chain.

If you convert your SuperValu Money Back vouchers or Real Rewards points into Avios by 31st December 2018, you will be entered into a draw to win a family flight to New York.  Full details are on the SuperValu website here.

As a reminder, AerClub members can convert Real Rewards points to Avios at a rate of 1 Real Rewards point to 1 Avios (minimum conversion of 50 points) or convert Money Back vouchers to Avios at a rate of €2.50 voucher to 250 Avios.

Your ‘family’ flight is limited to four people, will be in Economy and is ‘subject to availability’.  Unfortunately the T&Cs state that it is likely to be difficult to obtain seats for your ‘family flight’ during school holidays …..

Readers in Ireland will know that Supervalu regularly runs transfer bonuses into Avios.  This competition is instead of a transfer bonus so you may prefer to sit on your points or vouchers until another transfer bonus comes along.

What is an Avios point worth?
An update on My Lounge Gatwick South - is Priority Pass or Lounge Club accepted?

Comments

1. 1nfrequent says:

O/T has anyone had the points they won with Marriott for the October competition?

1F

2. OT – about to book a hotel for next May, which is refundable, on amex platinum. This transaction will push me over the £1k limit for the 20k upgrade bonus. Will be cancelling the platinum card shortly after receiving the bonus. We probably won’t be cancelling the hotel booking unless something better value comes along, but if we do cancel and get a refund after the card has been cancelled (and the credit applied to my other amex card), will this have any impact on the bonus points, which by this time will have been moved to BAEC? I’m assuming not as there won’t be a MR account anymore but interested to hear any experiences! Thanks

• The bonus is ‘attached’ to the transaction that takes you over as your MR account shows. If that exact transaction is reversed then you should expect the points to be deducted and to send you negative, although if you’ve moved them out its not an issue. In your case, of course, it isn’t an issue as the card is closed.

• Last month had a non-triggering purchase on the blue BA card refunded after the bonus had gone across to BA. It put the account into minus avios despite other spend after the 3 month deadline keeping the total over £1k as the amount spent before the deadline had dropped to less than £1k.

• TGLoyalty says:

I’m always wary of spending just the bonus amount in the qualifying period becuase of refunds. Unless the plan is to churn and burn as soon as you have the points.

• Personally I’d try to trigger witha different transaction that I wasn’t then going to refund.

3. O/T I made an Amazon purchase (not prime just normal) using a gift card and remain pounds using Amex Gold. There is a £1.00 fee on my statement. Similarly making a Netflix payment and there was a separate £1 fee on my statement..again I used my Amex Gold. Does anyone know why? Is it to do with paying with Amex?

• Happens to me every time; the £1 will be reversed shortly by Amazon. It seems that Amazon does a test transaction of £1 to make sure your card is valid; it happens regardless of whether it’s Amex, MC or Visa.

• It’s just an authorising amount, or something like that, it will disappear in a few days. Assume it’s in pending and not fully processed.

4. rams1981 says:

OT SPG points. If SPG Amex cancelled do you lose any accrued SPG points?

5. sounds expensive!

6. Wait until you see the monthly fee 🙂

7. Chelseafi says:

O/T Marriott advice please, just called to add points to a reservation for our summer family holiday I had some points in my account and OH has points in his account (neither had enough points individually) needed to transfer 200,000 across for booking. They said all fine no problem, then came back and said they had transferred 50,000 which was the max per year, which was no good for the booking. The rep said all I need to do is to merge both our accounts together and I can do this online myself, so enough points for booking all in the one merged account. I just wanted to ask on here if this is the correct thing to do, as I hadn’t known this was an option and I don’t want to mess it up.

• I think none of those options were correct from that rep.
      Firstly, you should be able to transfer 100K every year between two accounts. If you transfer now, then wait for 1st Jan, you should be able to transfer another 100K.
      I don’t think you could merge two accounts under different name. Only accounts you could merge were SPG and Marriott if you still have them.

• Chelseafi says:

Thank you. Yes I’ve just looked on Marriott FAQ and it says you cannot merge accounts, really annoying the issue with waiting until Jan is points price increases and I don’t want to risk they won’t honour previous booked price, I’ll get back onto Marriott.

• Book with points advance, as long as you booked, they will def honour even the points increase.

8. I’ve got that email. Basically, “We’re so wonderful it’s worth some of you being charged for cash withdrawals”. No indication of when the rest of us can link Amex either…

9. Pogonation says:

For those interested in the car rental bonus… There are quite a few at the moment.
    Etihad is 10x miles with avis – 8000 as plat, 7500 as gold, 6500 as silver and 5500 as basic member.
    Asiamiles has up to 2500 with avis, 1500 with europcar and sixt
    Eurobonus has up to 8000 bonus with Hertz
    +more

• Where do you find these? I rent a lot but only seem to hear about bonuses on HfP – the good Avios ones have now expired so I’m looking for somewhere else to credit! Can’t find anything on 10x etihad though

10. OT: For those asking last week about Lloyds avios card via Curve. Still no charges on my statement as of yesterday. Avios into my BA account and upgrade voucher into my avios account today. Already redeemed, last Lloyds voucher I guess, good while it lasted 🙂

11. Ambassador enhancements email has just landed .

The free breakfast is only applicable in China which is shame its not for all the hotels .
    don’t really see the point in this .