Bits: Marriott sending out targeted promos, Radisson redemption changes, Germania goes bankrupt, HFP in Vera

News in brief:

Marriott Rewards sending out targeted promotions

In the absence of a new global promotion, Marriott Rewards is sending most – but not all – members a targeted offer for the next couple of months.

If you didn’t receive one, you may be opted out of emails or it may have gone into spam.  Log into the Marriott website here, click on the down arrow next to your name in the top right corner and then click on Promotions.  If you have an offer it will show.

My offer was double points on stays of 2+ nights until 30th April.

There are a lot of permutations of the offer.  These include:

• Double elite night credits on all stays for two or three months
  • 10 bonus elite night credits after two stays
  • Earn 9,000 bonus points with three paid stays
  • Earn 22,500 bonus points with three paid stays
  • Earn 22,500 bonus points with two paid stays

…. and more.

Whether your particular offer is attractive will depend partly on whether you are driven by the need for points or elite night credits.  Some are very good, especially for anyone lucky enough to be offered 22,500 bonus points – which I’d value at £110+ – for two stays.

If you didn’t get an email, take a look at the Marriott website and log in.

Remember that you must register for your offer.  It is not automatic.

If you do a lot of Marriott stays, don’t forget that you will earn double points (6 Marriott points per £1) on the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express card when you use it to pay for Marriott stays until 31st December.  There is also a sign-up bonus of 30,000 Marriott points.

Marriott targeted promotion Spring 2019

Radisson Rewards reveals its 2019 category changes

Radisson Rewards, the programme for Radisson Blu / RED / Collection, Park Inn and Park Plaza, has revealed its 2019 category changes.  These apply for redemption bookings from 1st March.

The UK impact is modest with none of the London hotels changing.  Here are the seven moves:

• Park Inn Birmingham Walsall – rises from Cat 2 to Cat 3 (28,000 points)
  • Park Inn Birmingham West M5 J1 – rises from Cat 2 to Cat 3 (28,000 points)
  • Radisson Blu Durham – drops from Cat 5 to Cat 4 (38,000 points)
  • Park Inn Northampton – rises from Cat 3 to Cat 4 (38,000 points)
  • Park Inn Southend-on-Sea – rises from Cat 3 to Cat 4 (38,000 points)
  • Radisson Blu Belfast – rises from Cat 4 to Cat 5 (44,000 points)
  • Radisson Blu Manchester Airport – rises from Cat 5 to Cat 6 (50,000 points)

I reviewed the Park Inn Southend-on-Sea here and the hotel website is here.  By the standards of UK seaside hotels it is more than decent with a great location overlooking the sea, and my kids loved it.  The picture below shows my son on our room balcony.

The full list of changes is on the Radisson Rewards website here.

Park Inn Southend on Sea

Germania goes bankrupt

Whilst it shouldn’t impact many HFP readers, it is worth knowing – as a sign of the parlous state of European aviation – that Berlin-based airline Germania filed for bankruptcy on Monday.

Originally a charter airline, it had moved heavily into scheduled services in recent years.  Whilst it did not fly to the UK, you may have seen or even flown on one of its aircraft last year as British Airways was using the airline to operate some BA flights from Gatwick over the Summer.

Head for Points in Vera

Finally, if you are taking a Virgin Atlantic flight during February, there is a profile of Head for Points in the current issue of in-flight magazine Vera.

Start reading from the back as it is virtually the last thing in it!

Good deal - earn 7,500 Avios or €150 credit for 3 x 2-night Accor stays
Special HFP reader offer as BA Redemption Finder expands to cover Virgin Atlantic!

Comments

1. Hi. I am Marriott platinum elite and stay at a Marriott every week though haven’t had a mail about an offer and just checked on the app and no new promotions are showing for me.. is anyone else in a similar position?

• The majority of us judging by most of the comments!

• I’m a Platinum Premier, no offer for me. No offer for my mum either (she doesn’t have any status). Disappointing. I’ll stick with Hilton and IHG

• No, I haven’t received any offer. Must only be for a select number of Marriott members

2. OT – Does anybody know if it’s possible to redeem on LATAM from Santiago to Easter Island? The cash prices are insane (as expected). Nothing is showing up on BA.com, perhaps this is a phone and book scenario?

3. Bits OT – some chat on LL about IHG Ambassador only offering the standard $200 new-user sign up option for those trying to renew just now (ie no $150 or $200 w/15k and 10% rebate options). Hopefully just a temp glitch but would be disappointed if this was a long-term change.

• Steve-B says:

LL is not correct with this. My renewal has just come up – literally just checked and I’m being given choice of:

A) “Renew for $200 USD and receive 15,000 IHG® Rewards Club bonus points plus a 10% rebate on Reward Nights”. OR

B) “Renew using 40,000 points”

4. Jllibee3 says:

O/T
    Have an Amex Plat and trying to refer someone for a BAPP – Amex seems to have closed this loop as I can only see other MR cards in the ‘Other Cards’ section.

Does anyone know of a workaround? Is this a permanent thing? If so would be quite bad news….

• I can still see all the cards in a referral from my Gold account and succesfully referred my wife for SPG yesterday.

• Jllibee3 says:

Worked. Had to use a different browser (was trying incognito with Chrome but it wasn’t enough).

• Working for me, just click on the big f’off “Other Cards” button, I took Harry’s advice and did a self referral for SPG from Amex Plat while it’s open still.

• Wonder if there was a spike in SPG applications yesterday on the back of that post?!

5. OT: I have both an 8% cash back at Hilton & Doubletree by 28th March, globally, excluding ME, Africa and Turkey, as well as 8% cash back at ANY Hilton property in ME, Africa or Turkey by the 30th May on my Santander cards

6. BlueHorizonuk says:

Port Authority of NY/NJ announce that BA is consolidating with AA and moving to T8 at JFK

7. illuminatus says:

Am I correct that even on BA Economy Basic tariffs in Europe I can select a seat in advance if I am on a Bronze tier? (Sorry for double-posting and thank you marcw for replying yesterday, just want extra-confirmation if possible).

8. Pangolin says:

My Marriott Promotions consist of a picture of hot air balloons.. and diddly squat.

9. OT When waiting 6 months for Amex churn is it the cancellation date + 183 days? Don’t want to mess up the bonus.

• Shoestring says:

Add on the highest of (6 months + 3 days) or (183 days + 3 days), counting from the cancellation date you got in your cancellation letter

• Peter K says:

6 calendar months +1 day. I usually leave it a couple extra of days to be certain.
      EG if cancel 6th Feb you can reapply to get another bonus on 7th August but I often leave it until the 8th or 9th.

10. Qwerty Bertie says:

I received over 10k HH points for a one night stay that was £110 total spend, which struck me as far too many points even with my bonuses and promotions. Investigation showed 5k extra points were awarded, and described as Visa platinum introductory stay, or some such. This makes no sense to me as not only did I pay by Amex, but I don’t even hold any Visa credit cards. I have Visa debit cards that sit in my safe and only used once in a blue moon to withdraw cash from a machine, so I can’t imagine I should have received these points and wonder if Hilton have accidentally put all users on this promotion…not that I can see any relevant promotions.

Anybody else received them?

• Yep same for me. One night in Helsinki, and 10k points posted as gold. (Also got an excellent suite upgrade)

• Anybody know if people are getting this visa platinum bonus for multiple stays or one stay only?

• Qwerty Bertie says:

This stay was last weekend, and my most recent one prior to it was early January & didn’t get it. My next stay won’t be for a couple of weeks.

Shame there are no 5k hotels here to test your idea on as I’d try it right now just for the night credit.

• What O am not sure about is whether people are still getting this bonus
          Most of the comments over the last few days refer to stays last weekend IIRC.

• guesswho2000 says:

I had two stays in the past week, the first posted the Visa Platinum bonus (was a reward stay), the second didn’t.

Wasn’t expecting them, so was a nice 5k bonus. I often find Hilton posting random bonus points, which is nice.

11. OT – It appears that e-rewards have been dropped as an Avios partner.
    The sign-up page now generates a 404 error:- http://www.avios.com/gb/en_gb/collect/erewards/erewards?from=collectNav

Logging into my account it appears that they have converted my Aer Lingus avios e-rewards account to a BA Exec Club one, which is fine as I was just transfering the points over to BA anyway, however major issue is that the maximum monthly award is 1000 BA Avios for 3,500 points rather than 2000 Avios for 6,500 points.

12. RussellH says:

No comments on the Radisson changes?
    Walsall was only 9000 points a couple of years ago and I am not sure that it is really worth 15 000 points, certainly not 28 000, which is a huge leap. Same goes for the other Birmingham area hotel.
    I guess I have a couple of weeks to use my 30 000 before they become pretty much worhless.
    Time to dump the scheme once I have found a use for the points, I think!

13. RussellH says:

I have the following Marriott offer:-
    Stay at any of our 6,700 participating hotels and resorts worldwide now through (I assume that they mean until?) 30/04/2019.
    Get 7,500 bonus points after one stay and 15,000 additional points after your second stay.

14. RussellH says:

A Marriott question:-
    Just completed a three night points+cash stay. I now have 3 nights showing on my a/c, but it also says 0 points credited. Is this normal for Marriott points+cash stays?
    Thanks.

15. Andrew S says:

I just got a targeted email from SPG, double elite nights on all eligible nights from the date after you register until 30 April. So maybe these offers are slowly making their way out.