Virgin Atlantic Sale

British Airways to move into Terminal 8 at JFK in 2022

The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey announced yesterday that British Airways is to move from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 at New York JFK in 2022.

British Airways moving to Terminal 8 JFK

This is part of a $13bn improvement project at the airport.  Low cost carrier JetBlue will be expanding from Terminal 5 to cover the space currently occupied by Terminal 6 and Terminal 7.  British Airways and American Airlines will be operating out of Terminal 8, which is to be expanded at a cost of £250m.

This isn’t going to happen overnight, clearly, but it is a little odd that it is happening at all given that BA is in the middle of spending $65m upgrading its facilities in Terminal 7, soon to become a heap of rubble.  See the image above of the new passenger area.

What are the best hotel promos for February?
How to collect Avios at Twickenham

IHG Sale

Comments

1. Benylin says:

OT: Did we get to the bottom of green/blue charge card to Plat via upgrade link? Is that route real?

• It’s that a real upgrade route?

• Shoestring says:

nobody has reported back but it’s upgrading charge card—>charge card so should in theory be OK

• But did the special upgrade not refer to PRG? If so, it’s a big jump to believe it will work for green. That said, you would think amex will be even happier to see green cardholders upgrading than PRG cardholders.

• Shoestring says:

somebody needs to take it for the team – I was trying to think of a time when you might have Green card (instead of Gold credit or Plat) but logically I don’t think I ever would – people leaving a company corporate scheme might, I suppose

• Is there a benefit though, 2,000 + 20,000 MR compared with getting 35,000 for a normal application?
          Do you get 18,000 for referring Green from Plat?
          The only benefit I can see is if you don’t get charged for Plat until the charge date for green.

• Isn’t the supposed benefit that you can avoid the 6 months without a MR card? If it works you could cancel the gold credit card, open a green charge to keep you MR balance alive then immediately upgrade to platinum and get the upgrade bonus

• Charlieface says:

Benefit in that you only need to spend £1k as opposed to £3k

• I am currently trying this method going from Green to Plat. Chat rep said it was OK. Currently on. My way to spending £1k and will report back.
      (P. S. I am long time lurker on the site and never posted, but hoping I can report something of value now)

2. Flying Misfit says:

OT: CA fare purchased in Nov sale.
    Like a poster yesterday, booked on CA for FRA-PVG-MEL return in April.
    CA have stopped PVG-MEL route so only second legs rebooked as PEK-MEL return.
    On outbound, they have not altered my FRA-PVG, which arrives in Shanghai after the PEK-MEL has left. Only chance to make flight is to rebook on a CA FRA-PEK on outbound, in effect 24 hours earlier than originally booked. Similar problems with inbound arriving in effect 24 hours after original booking time.

There are other codeshare flights on LH that are more convenient than leaving a whole 24 hours earlier but CA insist they cannot book on partner airline although flights offered on website. Flights are a couple of month away and CA have also offered full refund should rebooking times and flights not be convenient.

Have to go unfortunately during these dates for family reasons, obviously any replacement booking will be more than the 1300 odd i paid back in Nov.

Do I have any latitude here on insisting to be booked on partner flights available on their website or do I just have to suck it up given the timeframe of notification. Appreciate that any EU261 rules would be applicable on outbound and only if any of the EU261 rules apply.

Any thoughts appreciated

• Your flight is not until April so no latitude on insisting anything or EU261. The airline should reroute you something sensible or offer you a full refund if that is not possible or not to your liking. You cannot insist they use a partner airline but it is possible but unlikely they might do so. Call CS and be nice, honey always works better than vinegar.

• Shoestring says:

[reroute you something sensible or offer you a full refund if that is not possible or not to your liking]

Not quite how I see it – you have an absolute right under EC261 to be re-routed on a sensible / reasonable alternative, even if that means on a competitor airline.
        If, for example, your alternative booking offered were (say) 4 days different to the original, that’s clearly highly unreasonable.

People say that being proactive here, ie researching the alternative route you want and presenting it to BA, ‘can you re-route me on this ticket, please?’ – is the constructive way to approach it that gets results.

• The reality is different from the theory though. Best results are achieved by getting a reasonable CSA and being reasonable with them too. Of course a proactive approach helps, help the CSA do their job well 🙂

• Flying Misfit says:

Cheers both

• Except this is not BA, it is CA…..

• Shoestring says:

Louie is right that EC261 doesn’t apply for non-EU carrier flights originating from non-EU location

(tbh I just start guessing when I see 3 letter airport acronyms as I have far better things to do than learn those!)

• As your ticketed journey is starting in the EU, then surely EU261 does apply.

• You have very little margin. You either take the alternative they offer you, it must be sensible though, or you ask for a full refund. You won’t convince them to book you on another partner airline.

3. OT: how long a gap should I leave between applying for Amex Plat and SPG cards? I would have left at least a month but I’m a bit concerned that the SPG could just disappear. Is a month enough? Is a week?!

• You need to leave 6 months if you want the sign up bonus

• Shoestring says:

No time limits involved as they are different ‘families’ (SPG doesn’t earn MR points)

• Really this depends on your credit record. Remember that UK and US cards are managed separately and are very different.

Whatever you do, remember to refer yourself from Plat to get additional 18,000 MR.

• This ^^^

I got my Amex Plat in Dec and just successfully referred myself for the SPG, taking Harry’s advice that it may close up shop for new applications in the near future.

If you are concerned about credit rating/approval, you can check your eligibility without applying. There’s an online tool.

• I think the greater concern is amex’s own files. Over the last year we have seen more comments about anexrefusing cards, suspending accounts, requiring additional details than we did previous. Might mean nothing new at amex and just be people commenting more on their negative experiences. Whatever it is, amex relationship is best managed sensibly. It is simply not common sense to apply for two credit cards from the same company a week apart. Personally I would wait at least one month.My inclination is to believe the SPG card is going nowhere soon but then it would not be the first time a card has just dropped dead in the past year, so far not at amex though.

• Yeah, I just got refused for Amex Nectar, despite having shut BAPP a month ago (which had a massive credit limit) so giving it a rest with them for a while. Couldn’t reapply for SPG just now anyway.

• Shoestring says:

But SPG card is not an Amex Amex card – it is a co-branded card. Therefore Amex probably can’t give 2 hoots about whether you get it shortly after getting an Amex Amex card

• It’s still issued by them though so from a credit check POV will still be considered…

• Genghis says:

All balances still on Amex’s BS. It’s not “normal” behaviour applying for cards so close together.

• When I use the eligibility checker on the amex site I get different chances of success for different cards. They don’t seem to make sense to me but nectar is always the lowest score (3/10). They more premium cards give me a higher chance of success but I did get the gold credit card with a 5/10 chance

• Interesting, didn’t know about the checker on their site – plus interesting re different scores for different cards.

• Talking of SPG.. has anyone managed to get double points by calling up and trying to cancel ?

• Most have reported being offered 1 extra Marriott point per pound recently which falls far short of the double SPG points they used to offer.

• Have only heard of 1 extra point per GBP being offered.

• Bonglim says:

@Alan
          Sometimes being rejected while having a massive credit limit on a different card is because Amex wants their total liability to be a certain amount – and they have used that all up on your existing card. Therefore, if you speak to the agent (probably at the time to be fair) they might reduce the limit on your BA card and be happy to give you an SPG card.
          Alternatively when you do re-apply perhaps close the BA card first.

• Yep I know that but had already closed the BA card a few weeks ago as I mentioned 😉

4. Yeah! I hate having to go between 7 and 8.

• Makes sense to co-locate from an Alliance POV, but if you are connecting onto AA and flying J or PE, surely makes sense to fly AA all the way? More routes from the UK to JFK than BA, better J class, and LFR T3 better than T5 IMHO.

Makes no sense at all though considering the money that has been spent on T7 and the disruption that has been caused there. But I guess BA have no choice in the matter.

Just hope they upgrade the AA lounges at T8.

• How far along is the development at T7? We’re flying back in J early March and wonder if we’ll see the difference?

• Michael says:

Firstly, I understand that BA’s lease on T7 expires in 2022 anyway. In addition, the current refurbishment is apparently a contractual obligation they have on their lease, so basically they had no choice in the matter.

5. Nate1309 says:

OT how long does the 10000MR take to deposit into account after £15000 spend on gold?
    Mine is a charge card still so hoping to upgrade via link to platinum. Will I then be charge £450 on top of the £140?

6. OT- any recent success in crediting Amex MR to SPG using last name match only i.e. crediting Mrs’ Roger’s MR points into my Marriott account?

7. OT- Does anyone know, when does Curve’s 28 days cooling off period start for Metal upgrade?
    From the date of application in App or the date the card was received/activated in the app?

I would have thought later, but looking for a concrete answer.
    Do not see any value in continuing to use the Metal beyond 28 days as it does not offer much coveted Amex usage, let alone unlimited!

• Roberto says:

Date of application.
      Confirmed by Maria on the curve community forum.

• Chrisasaurus says:

I’d have said the later, done people won’t even have received their cards within 14 days, perhaps even 28

• I believe date of subscription given the benefits (bar the lounge access and physical metal card) started then.

• MaryJane says:

Is LoungeKey access actually available? I’m hearing that Curve haven’t even signed a deal for it yet?!

• ‘Coming soon’…

• still awaited – given it wasn’t confirmed at time of metal launching i personally wouldn’t have based any of my decisions to sign up based on this. seems a pretty unappealing offering anyway to only get reduced price access.

• Zackary says:

Yet every feature advertised by curve that’s “coming soon”. That apparently includes the Mastercard World Elite status too. Whole thing is a shambles at best, a con at worst.

• Zackary says:

*another feature

• I saw a comment from Curve on their community thread which stated that it was the date of upgrade in app (which you can confirm as it will be the same date you got your insurance details by email).

8. I won’t miss terminal 7 – it is the pits!

• Mikeact says:

No messing around in the US….’ let’s spend €13bn and get the job done’…..how refreshing compared to the UK.

• Why is this refreshing compared to the UK?

• Try building another runway at JFK and see what happens…
        LHR terminal space is a peach compared to the current (and very recent past) state of LGA / JFK / Newark

• One thing JFK needs is some hotels at the terminals. The ones at the Jamaica airtrain station sound like crack houses. The ones nearer the terminals need a shuttle bus.

• Chrisasaurus says:

The crowne Plaza is an odd place, nestled in a residential area – but the others pretty well all are too.

The shuttles from the airtrain station work ok, no?

• Terminal 1 is worse, I think. Thankfully I’ve only ever had to use it once.

9. I have just referred my wife for SPG from Platinum and only received 9,000 MR rather than 18,000. A gentleman in Manila assured me that this is a mistake, but it is hard to see how the system could make a random mistake like this. He is coming back to me tomorrow.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

10. OT: Near the end of curve annual limit
    The wording says last 365 days and has 10% left

I had this curve for over a year now so it should be reset to 0

Can someone clarify before i ask for a renewal?

• It’s a rolling limit.

• That sucks. Do they offer a higher limit upon request?

• You can ask! Some people have been successful, others haven’t. Think it depends what you have been spending your limit on. If it’s amex payments then they may refuse unless you get a friendly agent.

• I nearly maxed out my monthly limit with more than 20 days left so I asked Curve to upgrade my limits and the monthly limit was reset to zero despite having spent nearly 2k during the period. Annual limit wasn’t reset but if you do get a bump for a month it could help carry you over until your annual limit resets.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Last 365 days means just that, rolling 365 window back from today

• Genghis says:

and it does work. I’m now having my available limits increasing as spend over a year ago drops off.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Recently requested increase to 50k annual limit and rejected. Catch22 – they want to see incidental spend – but with only 50k I want to preserve as much of it as I can to use on HMRC payments. Will have to work out how to stage payments to keep under the rolling window as old ones drop off.

• I’ve been using mine for nothing other than incidental spend – coffees, etc. Asked for an increase on the £2k daily limit so I could use it to settle the bill for an upcoming hotel stay (its in NYC hence the fee free FX is useful) – no dice.

• TGLoyalty says:

I’ve never had a problem paying bills part way through a stay. Just explain you have a daily limit if they question it.

11. OT: looking to book a one way flight DTW-ORD and one of the few perks of BA Bronze (OW ruby) is a free checked bag for the entire party on AA.

The flight would be in September and my status expires end of August, would I have to pay for the bags?