BA sale

How to pay £1,872 for a £10,187 five night stay at the new Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi

The secret of maximising the value of hotel loyalty points is to redeem them in ludicrously expensive places, where even the maximum possible price that the loyalty scheme can charge looks like a bargain.

I doubt there is a better place to find examples of this than The Maldives.

For many years, the Conrad Rangali resort, part of Hilton Honors, has been the de facto ‘best bang for your buck’.  95,000 points per night for a beach villa – which is the highest points price that Hilton Honors has for a standard reward – is a great deal given the cash rates there.  One of our readers wrote a long review on Conrad Rangali for us which you can find here.

The days of Conrad Rangali holding the crown for ‘best Hilton redemption’ may be up, however.  There is a new kid in town.

Waldorf Astoria Maldives on points

Meet Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi

As we first mentioned last April, a new Waldorf Astoria resort has been under development for some time.

This will be called Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi.  A picture of one of the very modern overwater bungalows is above.  Those of you with long memories will remember that there used to a Waldorf Astoria resort in The Maldives a few years ago but it was rebranded.

As well as being brand new, this property will have one advantage over Conrad Rangali – it is accessible by boat from the airport in Male.  If you stay at the Conrad there is a $500 per person charge for a seaplane transfer.  (EDIT: it seems the Waldorf is planning to charge $370 plus taxes each way for the short return boat transfer which seems a bit of a swizz.)

The good news is that you can now book, for stays from 1st July.

The bad news is that Hilton Honors has decided to break its ‘95,000 points per night’ price cap.  This is understandable but could be the thin end of the wedge.

Take a look at a typical price for November (click to enlarge):

Waldorf Astoria Maldives pricing

Yes, it is pricing at 120,000 Hilton Honors points per night.  This is not a Premium Redemption.  It is clearly marked as ‘Standard Room Redemption’.  Of course, in this case a ‘Standard Room’ is a 2,500 sq ft beach bungalow with a private pool.

And yet …. this is exceptionally good value.

Hilton offers ‘5 nights for the points of 4’ to anyone with Hilton Honors status.  (Be clear: you need Hilton status to get ‘5 for 4’, a basic Blue member will not get this pricing.)

A five night stay in a King Beach Villa With Pool will cost you, based on random November dates:

$13,101 included taxes (cancellable with 15 days notice) or

480,000 Hilton Honors points

To save you doing the maths, you are getting 2.12p per Hilton point.

My standard Hilton Honors points valuation is 0.33p.  You are getting SIX TIMES my ‘normal’ value here.

You can BUY Hilton Honors points for 0.39p each in their current 100% ‘buy points’ offer here (click to read my article, click here to buy).  The annual cap, including the 100% bonus, is 160,000 points per person.  Some people will unfortunately see a lower 80% bonus. This is part of market testing by Hilton.

Three Hilton accounts showing a 100% bonus could buy 480,000 points between them for $2,400 (£1,872).

This would get you $13,101 (£10,187) of stay at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi, assuming that the person booking has Hilton status and can get ‘5 nights for 4’.

The relatively new Hilton ‘points pooling’ scheme which we discussed here lets you merge your points together, and the pooling limit of 2 million points per year means you can easily fit in a 5-night booking!

As well as buying points, you can also transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to Hilton Honors at 1:2, or Virgin Flying Club miles at 2:3.

If you want to find out more about the resort, there is an excellent promotional video which will have you rushing to build up your Hilton Honors points.

The resort website is here if you want to learn more.  The current ‘buy points’ offer is here.

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

One man's tale of a week on points at a luxury resort whilst spending no money
Check your Virgin Atlantic credit card payments for errors

Head for Points is sponsored by:

Magazine montage

Up to 30% off in Hilton's Winter Sale

Click here to find out more and book

Comments

1. Rob, you have trained us that points are only worth what we would actually pay for flights and hotel redemptions. How much would people actually be prepared to pay in cash for this hotel?

• I’d be prepared to pay £100 a night. But evidently some people are prepared to pay 20 times that, though they would be silly to do so when they can buy the points…

• Think you’d struggle to find a place in the Maldives for £100 per night.

• Richmond says:

It’s possible. I stayed in 3* resort with breakfast and dinner included, 1 person £108 per night. Boat transfer was a bit rip off at $190 return. I chose the place based on underwater reviews and coral reef. That was most important thing to me in Maldives, not the luxuries which I can have anywhere. Accommodation was dated and not very attractive to the eye, but everything worked, was comfortable, food was ok and beach was very nice. I enjoyed my stayed and wouldn’t hesitate to go back for snorkeling.

• I agree, the most important aspect for me is the snorkelling and diving, but recent reports of bleaching have deterred me from a return in the last few years. The more southern attols such as Huvadhu may have fared better than others.

So £54 per person per night DBB or £216 per room DBB? Or a single room of £108 DBB?

• Richmond which resort?

And yep specific price per couple/board would be good. Diving/ Snorkeling my top priority too.

• Richmond says:

Biyadhoo Island Resort, I was alone and paid £108 per night with half board. However resort was sure there’s two of us coming and were very surprised to see only me. I guess they counted on 2 x $190 for boat transfer which is pure profit for them. I booked via Hotels.com. Prices will probably depend on time of the year, I was in November and booked in August. As stated earlier, I chose it based on coral reef reviews.

• Richmond says:

Some photos from snorkeling from the beach http://azmgallery.com/MaldivesNov2016/

• Judge that’s why I quoted Vilamendhoo as a comparison for a cash stay, ok not a Conrad/WA but a very good resort.

Having stayed twice at the Conrad Rangali, I can honestly say that if I didn’t have access to points I would also cough up ££ to go back to Vilamendhoo.

• Clearly enough to fill it. I was with a reader the other day who did 10 days over Christmas at a similar resort AND used double Avios (1.2 million) to force open 4 Club World redemption seats!

A disproportionately large % of the parents at my kids school spend Christmas in the Maldives, in the same way that a large % of the families head to the same 2-3 Dubai resorts in October (and tend to be on the same flights).

• What a boring life…

• BlueHorizonuk says:

Nothing to do with boredom. It’s about going somewhere tried and tested. If you and up at a resort that is good and caters for everything you need and (most importantly) the children are happy!! then it is no issue to return to the same place.

When you have kids (making no assumptions as to your situation marcw) then your whole outlook on holidays change. You cant do a ex-eu with 4 stops before arriving to your destination anymore and forcing a double Avios booking becomes a lifesaver).

• Let me point you towards Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.

• I’m sure Maslow would say luxury holiday resorts were not on his list of requirements for human survival. 😉

• This takes me back. As a published author on Maslow I’m open to consider Christmas in the Maldives as contributing to someone’s self actualization.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

I’m intrigued too how flying to the same resort as the rest of your existing social circle helps you to self-actualise.

It does seem like a modern version of the old factory-fortnight or stop-fortnight in northern industrial towns – where the factories would close for 2 weeks in summer and the workforce would often all go on the same value package holiday together to the same resort (keenly priced due to the obvious economies of scale for travel companies in chartering transport). This seems just the same with fewer pies and pints and more quinoa and botox….

• “Nothing to do with boredom. It’s about going somewhere tried and tested.”

A rather hilarious description given you’re trying to convince people it’s not boring!

As a kid we always went to different places on holiday (generally campsites!) – but then that might be different to Robs circle as we were neither rich nor spoilt? If we dared to “not accept anything other than a fancy kids club in Dubai” then I imagine we wouldn’t have been going on holiday at all!

• I know what you mean…. I generally dont like going to the same place as I believe theres so much more to see in the world. BUT since our trip to Dubai thats all the kids are asking for. And even if/when we go back I doubt they will accept anything else than what we had. We stayed at Madinant Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf and they rave about kids club and its facilities/service. Kids outlook is totally different.

• BlueHorizonuk says:

Yup, Kids completely change your outlook on what is a good holiday and at the end of the day its about them really. Loads of time to explore new places when they are older and more interested. All they want to do when young is go to kids clubs and swim…..lol

2. What's the Point says:

Seems a bit pricey on points for my liking, although even the “standard” room gets you a private pool. I can’t see the cash prices staying this high vs for very long. My guess is that its just too high vs established hotels in the Maldives?

The Curio is now open fro bookings from 1st Aug 2019, and is a relative bargain at 65,000 points or from £200 p.n

3. OT: do supplementary card holders need to do anything when the main cardholder is closing their a/c? in terms of MR points they technically belong to the card holder right?

4. OT: Where would people recommend for a nice romantic break that has sun, sea and sand but doesn’t break the bank? I want somewhere really memorable and outstanding. Not sure I can afford £10K. I have stayed in Rob’s favourite Madinant (booked 2 rooms) and we absolutely loved it. I now want to plan for our 10 year wedding anniversary.

• Fuerteventura/Lanzarote. Or what about Morocco?

• Shoestring says:

Thailand off the commonly beaten track for beautiful beaches, great climate if you time it right, cheap 4*/5* hotels – and fresh seafood Michelin 2* quality every night for laughably small money

• What about south Florida, the Gulf Coast and/or the Keys? We’ve done Mauritius, Maldives, Dubai and Florida Keys in the past few years and the standout for us was the Keys. It’s beautiful, relaxed and never stuffy or pretentious. Great beaches and snorkelling too!

• My last two breaks have been Thailand and the Florida Gulf Coast and loved both for different reasons.

The Far East gives more bang for your buck.

• Did a few day trips to the Gulf/Nature coast of FL in December. Gorgeous beaches, it’s far quieter in away from Festive holiday season though..

Would be interested in going back to Serendipity @ Koh Lipe in Thailand….

• Just came back from Koh Samui, stayed at Silavadee for 3 nights and AVANI+ for 2 nights. Can recommend both, probably leaning on first one.

• BrotherBear says:

Oia in Santorini

Best views ever.

Properties are built into the cliff. We stayed at Fanari Villas in the honeymoon suite and we still rate it the best place we’ve stayed. Lots of amazing places to stay though.

• Depends on your budget. My other half and I went to Punta Cana and stayed at the Now Onyx. At around £2,500 booked through BA Holidays including economy flights I believe this was good value for 7 nights. We stayed in the “Preferred” adults-only section junior suite with private pool. The Master Suites have sea view but are very far back in shore and more expensive.

• The Seychelles in an Airbnb or Hotels.com property, either Praslin or La Digue gets my vote a million times over!

5. Other than free breakfast, what other Diamond benefits is this resort offering? Also standard villa occupancy seems 2 adults…

6. On the topic of Maldives, any other resort redemption recommendations anyone from Hilton / other brands?

7. Re the maldives, is it me our has anyone ever wandered what happens if your on a distant atoll and there’s an emergency? I don’t just mean a natural occurrence (eg. tsunami), but also say a medical one while at the resort.

The maldives has never interested me. The sea plane transfers are about the only thing I think I would look forward to! But the above has always been a niggling question in my mind – what happens when you are 40 or 50 mins away from civilisation in an emergency? Are the resorts even required to put contingency evacuation plans in place?

• S Sud, speaking from experience, it is also possible to be “50 minutes away from civilization” in the British Isles….

• Chris Tracey says:

Lol! Like that!

• I found it rather frightening how long it took for an ambulance to get to my Mum when she was on holiday in Stiffkey in Norfolk. She swallowed a wasp and the resulting stings left her struggling to breathe.
        Fast forward 6 months, and my sister couldn’t come out for my Mum’s 70th back in Lincolnshire, because she was 7 months into a rather complicated pregnancy, which could have become more complicated at any minute, and she would have been an hour away (even blue lighting all the way) from a hospital that could actually give her an emergency caesarean because most maternity services have shut down at the nearest two hospitals.
        TripRep’s not wrong, although I’m not entirely sure that’s what he meant!

8. S Sud – the Conrad has an onsite doctor.

Any decent medical insurance would get you out on a seaplane to Male hospital or if necessary to a ME country or repatriation to UK.

• This issue has made me seriously consider whether I would go back to the Maldives (I definitely wouldn’t with children.) Even with a decompression chamber on the island, a diving accident would be very bad news, and there are numerous situations where an injury or serious illness wouldn’t be worth the wait for a seaplane (let alone repatriation!) I don’t have any figures for the Maldives but in Grand Cayman where an ambulance is no more than 10 minutes away and there are two state of the art hospitals, there is on average one water related death per month.

9. BlueHorizonuk says:

Is anyone having difficulty finding any availability?

10. Interesting article….starting to collect some Marriott rewards points…anything ideas on a similar luxury break (though with 3 kids in tow)

11. All thanks to Headforpoints, and a bit of travel, I secured Marriott Platinum with 16 nights and recently status matched to Hilton Diamond and completed 8 stays.
    Booked flights to do Rio the first week in March and THEN looked at hotels. They are only typically 3 times normal price, transpires its Carnival time!
    Due to stays to become Marriott Platinum, accrued 100,000 points. The Rio Sheraton is 25k per night, but with the 5 four 4 deal, scored a real winner in value here! Thanks as ever Rob! I would never have known about any of this without you!

• Am I missing something with SPG? The Rio Sheraton is 25k points per night but the Grand Cayman Marriott is 50k (and looks rather grotty by comparison). Is this 2 separate schemes?!

• All prices are now in Marriotts. SPG as a hotel scheme no longer exists.

• But how can a 5 star hotel cost more points than a (barely) 4 star?

• So…presumably they stick the hotel in the highest category they think the market can bear, regardless of the quality of the property?

• Cayman is expensive. You go there on holiday.

• Anna – Would you expect a five star hotel in Hull to be more expensive than a four star hotel in Mayfair?

If you stop and think about it, it’s blindingly obvious why a hotel in the Cayman Islands is more expensive than Rio – regardless of quality!

• I know how Cayman works, I’m just starting to work out how SPG/Marriott works!

• Sir Kenneth says:

And be prepared for double currency conversion too. Go to Bermuda instead. Cayman wants to be Bermuda. BVI wants to be Cayman. Jersey – on a sunny day – is better than all three. Obviously Bermuda is north Atlantic. If you want to be Caribbean and need to be OneWorld check out AA from Miami to some of the nicer Caribbean islands. Having said that Cayman to Bahamas can be done for 4500 BA reward saver on BA widebody. I always take a light case with me.

• Sir Kenneth says:

GC Marriott is right on the beach. Literally. It’s a thin hotel. And there is a nice poker joint on the other side of the main road.

• Hi Ralphy, hate to be the bearer of bad news the Sheraton Rio was damaged substantially last week in the storms, all public areas of the hotel and pool were completely flooded. The hotel was evacuated and is now closed. From seeing the news reports and pictures it looks unlikely to be open within the next couple of months.
      Check the thread on FT for more information, I’d look at make backup plans in case the hotel is not reopen by your trip.