Bits: £1050 Club World tickets to Durban, new Marriott double points promo, last day for 100% bonus buying Hilton points

News in brief:

£1,050 British Airways Club World flights to Durban

As part of its occasional ‘Dream Tickets’ promotions, British Airways is running a 2-4-1 offer on Club World tickets to Durban.

Full details are on ba.com here.  You must:

book by 1st March

travel between 1st April – 31st May or 1st July – 31st August

both passengers must travel together at all time

The cost will be £2,099 for two tickets which is EXCELLENT value, albeit that you are heading into Winter.  Availability is limited so there is no guarantee you will see seats at that price for your chosen dates.

You can use ‘part pay with Avios’ to reduce the cost further but you’re getting well under 1p per point so I don’t recommend it.

If your ultimate destination is Cape Town or Johannesburg, remember that you can redeem Avios for direct Comair flights from Durban to both cities.  Full ‘Dream Tickets’ details are on this ba.com page.

Dream Tickets British Airways Durban

New Marriott Bonvoy double points offer on the way

It seems that Marriott Bonvoy is about to launch its first global promotion since the scheme was rebranded.

There is no registration page yet but some members have reported receiving details in the post, potentially sent too early by mistake.

It will offer double base points on all stays, starting from your second stay, in the period 19th March to 4th June.

We will cover it in detail when registration is live.

Last day for 80%-100% bonus when you buy Hilton Honors points

Finally, today is your last day to buy Hilton Honors points with a 80% or 100% bonus when you purchase 10,000+.

The Hilton ‘buy points’ page is here.  Whether you are offered 80% or 100% is down to Hilton targeting.

Regular readers of Head for Points will know that I tend to value Hilton points at 0.33p each.  You are paying 0.39p ($800 / £625 for 160,000 if you are targeted for the 100% bonus, and some people seem to have had their allowance doubled too) here if you buy the maximum so the maths in general doesn’t work.

HOWEVER ….. there ARE real bargains to be had at peak periods.  At the top end, the Conrad Maldives is usually 95,000 points per night.  Via this offer you would be paying under $500 per night which is a great deal.  We did a big review of Conrad Maldives here.  Remember that you can pool points between Hilton members for free so it is now easier for different people to buy points and merge them together.

Hilton also does ‘five for four’ if you have Hilton Honors status.  As Hilton will status match you from any other hotel scheme where you may have status, most HFP readers should qualify for this.  Five nights would cost you (95,000 x 4) 380,000 points which would cost $1,900 with this deal.  A non-refundable cash rate would cost around $5,000.

The new Waldorf Astoria Maldives is also a bargain if you buy points as we explained here.

Similar deals are available at peak times in other major cities.  Conrad New York, for example, costs $2,800 for a five-night stay from 6th to 11th June.  Buying 320,000 points via this deal would cost just $1,600.   Conrad New York is an ‘all suite’ hotel which I recommend.

If you are just buying a handful of points to top off your account, the price per point doesn’t matter anyway.  If you a few thousand short of a redemption then this is a decent opportunity to buy them.

You can buy points via this link.  The offer ends tonight, 26th February.

How do you get a British Airways Executive Club Premier card?
BOOK NOW: 95 new IHG PointBreaks hotels for just 5,000 to 15,000 points!

Comments

1. These 2-4-1 deals are quite irritating for those of us who need to travel alone 🙁

Those of you in pairs, enjoy though 🙂
    Good fare.

2. Shoestring says:

O/T Anna I think you were asking for a decent case of wine, here we go for £55 delivered (and they gave me a free bottle on top as I reviewed a previous case)

New Virgin customers get 3000 Airmiles, existings get 250. They are happy to let lapsed customers try the club again, don’t forget to cancel (easy) if you don’t want to continue after this case.

• Thanks Harry, will have a look. The Majestic wines are good but not enough to earn my unquestioning loyalty!

• Shoestring says:

Anybody wanting the Virgin Wines deal – and remember, it works out £2/ bottle & change if you are a first time customer so get the 3000 Airmiles – it was only 97 cases left this morning so don’t delay.

3. 1nfrequent says:

O/T but thought it was of interest to those who use cabs/car services in London – deal on my BA Amex with Wheely – spend £25 in a single transaction and get £25 back up to 3 times. Looks like it’s a private car company. May be of interest to some here.

1F

• Yes, it’s like Uber. Decent deal if those are the terms. Not many cars though so quite a wait to get one in my (admittedly historic) experience with them.

• I have just had a minor stressful episode with that offer – at first glance I thought it referred to luggage sales and we have just replaced all ours lol.

4. Anyone book the virgin reward flights to Tel aviv yet?

Looks like flights only loaded from 1 November. Nothing in October at all? What gives?

5. anyway to make the Amex Travel booking over the phone and claim the credits?

Need to make a combined flight/hotel booking for 4 people. Total cost £2600 – ideally want to split over 4 amex cards (for the £200 off each)

• No, needs to be online.

Tried to use this yesterday and it was a joke. Need flights between Athens and Corfu. Amex Travel website claims that no airlines fly this route!

• Also find the Amex Travel website sh**

Poor poor selection of hotels. Forcing me highest room category (ie suites) as soon as I add a child, same issue with flights (tons of mainstream carriers missing)

Whats the deal here? No wonder they can throw those 200 credits around..

• tried to use this yesterday too, tried to book a hotel but kept glitching saying need to verify address, despite it passing the amex security key. Called up and they couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t working but could only offer to book online. Still have 8(!) pending tractions for this booking but they confirmed none of these will be processed, did get the email to say I had redeemed the offer but I know this won’t clear as I won’t have completed the booking.

• Can’t book easyJet flights online with Amex.

• Sadly Amex Travel website is pretty useless – on the phone they can be OK but dreadful online. Basically only use them when they have an offer on that requires me to use it!

• Charlieface says:

Wasn’t too impressed with their phone service either.
          After booking a 85min. connex in Lisbon on TAP they emailed a few weeks later to say the first flight was moved 10min later so it falls under 90min MCT (it was already shorter??). 2 weeks of back and forwards calls and emails and them refusing to rebook on any other airline (regardless of EC261) eventually they just confirmed the same flights anyway.

• Had a similar thing, booking flights from LHR to BODRUM, flights showed on the website, tried to book kept erroring. Online chat and multiple calls, with multiple excuses and asked to call back on different days. Eventually complained as had to book through Turkish to get the same price as advertised by Amex Travel. And got 2k points. Win some you loose some!

6. Some Hilton spend £250, £50 back offers just appeared on BAPP and supp.

7. Is there an exceptional hilton in Paris that is worth it?
    Or in fact what would people choose for a weekend in Paris from any hotel (chain or not)?

Thanks

• What’s your budget? Paris can be pricy. For work stays I go for Idol (independent) not far from the office. For leisure stays, I’ve stayed at Hilton Opera (good junior suite with cut yourself leg of iberico ham at breakfast) IC Opera (small room but great service) and Hotel du Collectionneur (big rooms and great breakfast). Going back now for leisure I’d try the Renaissance Republique on Marriott points.

• Purely in terms of location, the main IC is a good choice. However, you really need lounge access with a large room, ideally junior suite. Classic rooms are unbelievably small (we’re almost talking ‘stretch out your arms and touch both walls’ small) and the restaurant is the most famous cafe in Paris and so charges €45 for breakfast.

If you book via Emyr you will get free lounge access, worth €140 per night, on any booking which is a GREAT deal. The lounge here is excellent.

We’ve reviewed Hilton Paris Opera too and, as Genghis mentioned, I stayed at Renaissance Republique last year which was surprisingly lovely including ‘no buffet’ free (with Marriott status) a la carte breakfast. Location is a bit off-centre but manageable.

• Thanks for the replies will have a look – not much of a limit in terms of budget, perhaps happy to splash 500-1000 euro for a night.

Will have a look.Thanks again.

• If you have a high budget, the Four Seasons George V is generally seen as the best ‘city’ hotel in the world.

• Lady London says:

The Bristol used to be excellent and probably still is.

• Shoestring says:

Are we back to the Brassiere, Lady London? 🙂

• RussellH says:

Had a couple of nights at the Bristol as a competition win quite some years ago. Memorable in part as several African Heads of State were staying too – so far too many ‘heavies’ standing around in the corridors.
          But a great Hotel experience.

• I can also recommend booking the IC Le Grand via Emyr, which will give you access to their excellent Club Lounge, and an upgrade from the small rooms as well, in addition to IHG points and any IHG/Ambassador status benefits you are entitled to. As Genghis says, their customer service is great. Especially the lounge staff.

If you have a high budget though, why not ask Emyr for other recommendations to consider as well? I imagine he can book most, if not all, of the high end Paris hotels with special benefits.

• Try Airbnb. You can get lovely apartments on the Seine for a similar price to a decent (not great) hotel.

• We’re staying at the Moxy Paris Bastille in April. I’d be interested to know the thoughts of anyone who’s stayed there before.

• Bonglim – don’t forget your yellow jacket 😀

8. Mark1980 says:

OT does a plat supp application create a credit check? Thanks.

• Never has for me

• Charlieface says:

Credit check is only for someone applying for credit, which this is not. It usually triggers an identity check which won’t show up on credit report

9. Rob, any idea whether the Marriott promotion will count for existing bookings?

10. OT: Want to book a hotel for my OH for a weekend using my reward points. Are there any chains who are particularly amenable / cause particular trouble around this? Not hugely concerned which chain I use, only that I find somewhere nice that doesn’t cause her any trouble.

11. Just tried to book my UK Spg Amex free night certificate but cant use is as its saying it will be past the exp date .

I thought you could use it as long as it was still valid at point of booking is this not the case ?

12. Virgin points.
    Can you transfer between accounts?

• only if gold, but can pay for whole sectors of a booking from different accounts.

• Thank you Mark.
        So if I have enough for redemption for me and OH has enough for her, can we link bookings if we make them separately?

• Why would you need to do that? The only reason to do this on BA is free seat selection for all but that isn’t an issue with VS.

Only reason would be if you did 2 x oneways to North America when a return would be cheaper in taxes, in which case ringing to book by pooling the miles is cheaper.

My understanding is that you don’t even need complete sectors in each account, but don’t quote me on that.

• my latest booking said there has to be enough for a whole sector form each account but I believe some people have spoken to CSA who will pull the number of miles from any account to make the booking so depends who you get.

• TGLoyalty says:

Still think a booking with more than 1 person is less likely to be bumped but also less likely to be upgraded I guess.

• No, but if both people are travelling the call centre will mix and match between accounts.

13. PAYE
    Anyway to earn points by paying it?

14. Is there an expiry on Hilton points? Expecting a baby soon so wondering if it’s worth buying the points to save up for a future trip to the Maldives.
    With the caveat that points could change, Is it still worth me maxing the offer just for me now, which is 100%?

• How far in the future? I wouldn’t buy now for a speculative redemption in a few years’ time. 100% bonus is not that uncommon. There could be further devaluations etc. Keep the cash.

• Probably around 2 years or so.
        Thanks, have kept the cash and will keep an eye out for future

• There is an expiry, yes. I think it’s 1 year, but can be refreshed by e.g. buying a handful of points.

• Thanks – decided to keep the cash for now as it will be probably a couple of years out.

15. Just checking in, saying hello, from the new Malaysian Golden 1st Lounge, on our way home. Didn’t go to CX lounge. It really is a huge improvement on the old lounge. And very silent as reported.
    On the good old A380, very sad to see them go. Great use of our 241. Trying to guess who our fellow pax will be in F. What a hoot…hope for good weather in the morning in T5.

• Are BA operating an a380 to KUL? A bit confused by reference to 241 as I thought at first you were referring to MAS.

• She was in Hong Kong, and is currently flying back on a BA A380.

KUL is currently operated by a 789 on BA or an A350 on MAS

• Thanks, now I make sense of it. I thought MAS had put one a380 back on LHR, I guess that was short-lived.

• Are you using the A380 wifi? I used it on the same route last week.