SriLankan Airlines to increase Heathrow services

We don’t cover SriLankan Airlines much on Head for Points.  We should do more, because SriLankan is a member of the oneworld alliance, allowing to earn and redeem Avios on its flights as well as earn British Airways tier points.  It also appears to have a decent business class product as you can see below.

If you’re looking to travel to Asia over the Summer, SriLankan is adding additional weekly services from Heathrow to Colombo.  Instead of the existing daily flight, you will get:

SriLankan Airlines business class

• 21st July to 31st July – 8 flights per week
  • 1st August to 8th August – 9 flights per week
  • 9th August to 29th August – 10 flights per week

….. before dropping back to daily in September.  I’m not sure how much additional reward availability will be made available but it is worth checking.

If you are planning a Maldives holiday, remember that Colombo is only 85 minutes flying time from Male.

Hilton launches the Signia brand
British Airways orders 18 Boeing 777-9 aircraft - with First Class - to replace the 747 fleet

Comments

1. Sussex Bantam says:

OT – help needed – a friend of mine has just started a job which needs her to be in London one day a week. She is looking for a “lounge” option as working in a coffee shop isn’t very practical.

I know there are various cards/accounts which give access to Regus, Virgin lounge etc but I’ve never had the need so haven’t paid much attention.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking ?

• Peter K says:

The virgin Atlantic (and I assume any Virgin money) card gives access to the virgin money lounges.

• Nick M says:

Would she qualify for IoD membership?

• IoD is terrible these days. I am there once a month for Aviation Club lunches. The lounge is a bun fight without a seat.

Best option if near Piccadilly Circus is the Virgin Money lounge, which is permanently free with any Virgin Money product inc the VS credit cards. If she only wants it for a few hours this is fine. They won’t want her doing 9-5 there though.

The base level WeWork membership gets you 1 day per month and you can pay for more. The N26 bank account is cheaper and gets you free WeWork membership for 1 day per month included.

Regus is pretty soul destroying to be honest. A Gold card lets you use the lounges at any of their centres but often there isn’t much space given over to the lounge.

Try AndCo. This is FREE. They have deals with various restaurants which are empty in the day and you can work out for them for no charge, on the grounds that they can flog you the odd coffee or snack.

2. Just been charged the new £450 fee on my Amex Plat.

I am unsure if thats for the full year just passed, or for the next 12 months ahead.

In any event, if I were to cancel next month, would I get 11/12ths of the fee back?

3. Steve says:

O/T: is there an article that cover the differences in BA F by aircraft, I think some planes have refurbished cabins but struggling to find a good comparison online. I am looking to book a few holidays throughout the year and quite flexible on destination/date, would be good to hear how HFP-ers rank A380, 747, 777, 787

• Grant says:

The BA section of Flyer Talk has a very useful dashboard section which covers First class in different aircraft – plenty of photographs, etc.

• Mark2 says:

I think that you will find that the refurbishment state depends on the tail number rather than the type.

4. Flying Misfit says:

OT – Revolut back on the front pages?

5. Chris says:

Why do aircraft regulations prevent the upper side of wings being painted red?

• SimonW says:

To make flames more visible? To make search and rescue easier?

• Good question. It obviously does not apply to the Red Arrows!
      But seriously, if looking down on an an a/c nearer the ground, white wings are far best for visibilty reasons. Red might be OK in practise, but I guess there’s a general rule.

• It doesn’t. Red Arrows are flown under military flight rules, commercial aircraft civilian rules. That’s why you won’t fly upside down 50 metres above the ground in a commercial aircraft then barrel roll into LHR 🙂

• Heat.

• Also true. And high-vis patterns of white and say red stripes would create differential heating issues too. So for most aircraft it’s white or white – with occasionally coloured wingtips allowed for extra visibility.

• @Mark Pigment in paint is heavy. Red is the heaviest.

@Alex Sm. Indeed!

6. OT.
    Using Curve to pay HMRC still working without incurring fees or breaching t&c’s?

7. OT: IHG Reward nights faster promotion (prev. Accelerate).
    One of my flash sale stays did not qualify because it was less than USD30 per night. I can’t see the USD30 threshold mentioned anywhere is the T&C. I spoke to CS and they said there is nothing they can do (read: would do) as it’s system generated.
    Is there an effective way to resolve it or shall I just write it off as a personal loss?

• It’s not $30, it’s about it being discounted by more than 30%. However the Flash Sale was only for Rewards Club members, wasn’t it, so I would imagine such stays should qualify. To be honest, since IHG started restricting certain sale deals to Rewards Club members I thought this rule was suspended.

• Thanks Rob, so it’s the 30% discount issue. I also thought that flash sale stays should qualify for the Accelerate promotion. The stay qualified for all the base points, which I have been credited with as expected.
        No worries. I learned something new today. Need to be more wary about their promotional rates and how this may affect other of their promotions, i.e. the stay is likely to qualify for one promotion only.

• Go back and tell IHG that this was booked under the IHG Rewards Club flash sale and all rates booked under that sale are meant to be qualifying.

• Mr Dee says:

Booked through the sale and the stay credited fine so strange. Was your stay less than 30USD?

• Yes, the stay was $26.
          I’ve already spent 1/2 hr on the telephone and spoke to three different people until I was cut off. Will email them but I won’t hold my breath.

• Mr Dee says:

Defo not the 30% sale, I wouldn’t put it past them to make up this 30USD by being vague with the terms like they did with the Ambassador renewal 10% rebate terms that were not clear…..

8. BlueHorizonuk says:

OT: Does anyone know when Bonvoy year resets (I thought it was the end of Feb) as I was expecting to drop down (I was on a fast track that I never completed) but have stayed as Titanium.

Thanks

• TGLoyalty says:

probably takes a few days to process.

Look forward to my impending downgrade then

9. OT: Does anyone know how much BA charge to change date on an outbound flight – booking made with Avios on Flybe flight, through BA. Exec account won’t let me make any changes online in MMB so will need to phone them. Thanks

• Answer to my own question – just managed to get through BA CS (quite quickly actually).
      Standard charge of £35 per flight/person to change date/time.
      Additional ‘by phone’ charge of £15 per flight/person waived as not able to complete online!

10. KevMc says:

OT received an app update from Shell today saying that they will be launching a new rewards scheme soon. ‘Shell Go+’ will replace Shell Drivers Club.

Avios redemptions ARE NOT listed as something you’ll be able to do with the brand new rewards program, so this could well be coming to an end?

• Ouch! Hope that’s not so.

• Liamc says:

I’m sure this was reported on here or the sister site a while back. Esso will also be losing Clubcard soon. BP is losing nectar as well I think, not sure in the last one though.

• TGLoyalty says:

Yep BP losing Nectar and Esso are picking it up when they lose clubcard

• Navara says:

Manager at local Shell fuel station mentioned this earlier in the week. Looks like my Costa addiction could be curbed, I never buy fuel at those prices. Having had the message and emails it looks like it will be discounts via the app.
      Money of fuel every 10 visits.
      £3 off V Power after 300 litres.
      Surprise freebies.
      to name a few

11. Another OT, I received a mail yesterday from NH hotels saying they are now part of the Minor Hotel’s group. Anyone any experience with them?

• the_real_a says:

Unless i’m mistaken they were bookable with Marriot points. I stayed quite a few times in Spain at 10k rates. Solid low cost hotels in “B” locations. Very useful if you have a rental car. I would not hesitate to stay again, but not luxury.

• RussellH says:

Are you asking about nH, or Minor Hotels?

I have only ever stayed in one nH hotel, in Erfurt, but I used to book their Bruxelles hotels frequently for customers. Room rates at weekends and July / August there were so low it was a very easy sell. I also booked Dresden and one or two other places – cannot remember now where, exactly.
      Never had any bad customer feedback.

From my personal experience in Erfurt, I would say a basic 4*, but perfectly adequate. Roughly similar to a lower range Mercure…

• RussellH, the NH hotels which is now part of Minor hotels according to the email. I’ve stayed at the Vienna one a couple of times as it’s just across the road from the terminal. You’re right nothing to write home about but locations are handy.

the_real_a. You think they could be booked with Marriott points? Interesting. So many hotel chains it’s easy to lose track of which chain owns and does what.

• TGLoyalty says:

Thought NH hotels were bigger in mainland Europe especially Spain.

Minor hotels owns Anantara hotels which always seem to be well regarded so maybe they will expanded into some better quality hotels?

• the_real_a says:

I was mistaken – it is AC hotels for Marriot points.