Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Diners Club acceptance to hugely increase in the UK with a new Barclaycard deal

The most surprising event in UK loyalty credit cards last year was Lufthansa partnering with Diners Club to return to the UK market.  Luckily, given the exceptionally low Diners Club acceptance in the UK, the card came partnered with a prepaid Mastercard which is funded via the Diners Club.

As both cards have the same earn rate of 1.25 Miles & More miles per £1, I assume that 99% of Lufthansa credit card holders have done what I have done – put the Diners Club card in a drawer and just carry the Mastercard.

This might change.  Barclaycard has just announced that the 110,000 businesses which use Barclaycard as their payment processor can now accept Diners ClubThis article from Finextra explains more.  Barclaycard is not asking shops for additional fees on Diners Club transactions so the majority will presumably opt in.

I see a small risk here for the Miles & More payment cards.  If Diners Club acceptance increases sharply, it would make sense for Diners Club to reduce the earning rate on the Mastercard element of their UK payment cards.  This would allow them to stop paying Mastercard its fee cut on those transactions.  It won’t happen in the short term but I can see it happening eventually.

Thanks to Kartik for this.

Comments (138)

• Kevin Dulin says:

OT – Does anyone know if the Trainline offer on AMEX works with the app as well? or just online? The app doesn’t include a booking fee for same day tickets, but online does…

• Robman says:

Hi, off-topic question for anyone who can help me with an answer. Yesterday I received a notification from Iberia that one of my flights that I’d booked in the Avios promotion that they ran will be cancelled. The flight was today from Asturias to Madrid. I wasn’t going to take this flight as I’m in London. However, being the opportunist that I am, I was wondering what compensation I would be entitled to, either from Iberia or through my Amex Platinum travel insurance. I’ve never had a flight cancelled before so not sure what my options are. Any advice much appreciated.

• Shoestring says:

You *might* be entitled to the EC261 compo from IB, worth filing it just in case. Timing is all, ie sounds like you didn’t check in, but that wouldn’t necessarily matter if they cancelled late enough before the flight.

• Munch says:

I reserved the Ritz Carlton NY before the change today but not exchanged my points to the travel certificate. I’ve checked this evening and its increased to the new 85000 point per night from the original 60000 points. Is this correct, I was led to believe they would honour the old rate if reserved before the 5th March even f the points were not exchanged?

• Rob says:

Yes, that’s the case. This has cropped up on some of the US blogs today. Marriott will hopefully fix it.

• Munch says:

Ok sounds like another Marriott IT fail. They seem to love frustrating their customers

• BJ says:

In anticipation of this I took screenshots of my two reservations and also sent myself emails of the reservation with the old points levels. I hope Marriott fixes it though as I’m not looking forward to potential turnarounds on the phone with misinformed CSA.

• Rich says:

OT
    I’m trying to get reward flights on BA from London to the US West Coast.
    I’ve got trackers set up to show when seats become availability however there are many options returning but none going out to the US.

Is there something that I don’t know which means there are many more seats into the UK?

• Kieran says:

I suppose it depends on dates. Certain dates of travel are more popular than others and obviously certain destinations are more popular too.

I had the same problem but in reverse. Could get out to the US but not back to London. I fiddled around with different airports and dates and eventually got something. If you are BAEC, don’t forget Alaska and Aer Lingus.