Virgin Atlantic Sale

Diners Club acceptance to hugely increase in the UK

The most surprising event in UK loyalty credit cards last year was Lufthansa partnering with Diners Club to return to the UK market.  Luckily, given the exceptionally low Diners Club acceptance in the UK, the card came partnered with a prepaid Mastercard which is funded via the Diners Club.

As both cards have the same earn rate of 1.25 Miles & More miles per £1, I assume that 99% of Lufthansa credit card holders have done what I have done – put the Diners Club card in a drawer and just carry the Mastercard.

This might change.  Barclaycard has just announced that the 110,000 businesses which use Barclaycard as their payment processor can now accept Diners ClubThis article from Finextra explains more.  Barclaycard is not asking shops for additional fees on Diners Club transactions so the majority will presumably opt in.

I see a small risk here for the Miles & More payment cards.  If Diners Club acceptance increases sharply, it would make sense for Diners Club to reduce the earning rate on the Mastercard element of their UK payment cards.  This would allow them to stop paying Mastercard its fee cut on those transactions.  It won’t happen in the short term but I can see it happening eventually.

Thanks to Kartik for this.

You can now earn Virgin miles on KLM and Air France codeshares as it waits for JV approval
Behind the scenes as BA launches its latest historic livery - British European Airways

IHG Sale

Comments

1. Mark2 says:

OT
    Does anyone know please if it is possible to confirm identity to open a Revolut account without the photo of driving licence and selfie. I have tried many times and failed.
    Or does anyone know of a phone number to speak to them (optimistic I know).

• illumintus says:

I did with a passport and selfie, all went fine.

EU driving licence is a commonly accepted ID, so I am sure the issue is with the selfie quality rather than the document type.

• Andrew says:

Do you have any Children, Nephews, Nieces or Grandchildren who could help you?

• Shoestring says:

Mark2 – early warning senile dementia alert! Can’t get how to photo your DL or do a selfie! Won’t step foot in Asia as it’s too worrying!

Just joshing, old mate 🙂

• Polly says:

Thought you couldn’t wait to get back to Asia when the last kid goes to uni!!!

• Shoestring says:

It’s Mark2 who says he won’t ever set foot in Asia for some reason

I can’t wait to get back, I personally think Thailand must be one of the very best places in the world to take a holiday (esp during the European winter) and my wife is a big fan, too.

• Polly says:

Right.. remember you loving it..yes, we hit Thailand either Nov or Feb every year.. feels like home every time…and/or Bali gets in the mix. Cambodia planned for Nov next tho..never been so looking forward to it.

2. Chris says:

OT… has anyone ever had an issue with refunds on closed credit cards? A hotel has agreed to refund me but insist on it being to the same card. Card was closed after hitting sign up bonus 😉. All they have on file is the last four digits and funnily enough I destroyed the card a while ago… I can’t confirm the old card details and they won’t refund on different card for “money laundering laws”… I’m kinda stuck… ☹️

• Andrew says:

It’s not so much “money laundering laws”, more anti-fraud procedures.

Orphan credits are flagged on the retailer’s merchant report. More sophisticated Point of Sale systems will prevent a refund to a different card without some form of override. It’s essentially to stop rogue staff from faking returns onto their own cards.

You just need to speak to someone sensible at the hotel, at the very least credit it to the same type of card. Eg Mastercard Debit to Mastercard Debit or Amex to Amex.

• Lady London says:

Same type of card (VS or MC) is supposed to work but staff crediting you back may have received instructions that insist on the same card (not required by the banking system I believe).

I’d just say the original card expired and was not renewed and proffer another MC/VS together with any ID required, if they really get pernickety. I’d expect them to do it.

• Chris says:

So would I but the assistant manager is sticking to the party line. He is speaking to his manager….

• Chris says:

Thanks Andrew. So far I’ve not found anyone sensible… but I’m persevering!!

• Graham Walsh says:

What about if you said the card was destroyed due to fraud so you have a new one?

• Sundar says:

Wouldn’t you be able to ask the bank for the old card number ? As long as you identify yourself, wouldn’t they be able to tell you the card number ?

• Louise says:

Amex have been proactive at letting me know of refunds on accounts if it is with them

• Chris says:

Yeah, the problem is they confess to not having the card details, just the last four digits. I’d have let them refund and spoken to Amex if I could get that far…

• Polly says:

They do…they just want you confirm the complete no for security. I just had a refund from last Oct processed back to my ac the dd came from.

• There’s no legal requirement for this, I have occasionally returned items after cancelling a card and had a refund made to a different one. Could you ask to speak to the manager, explain the situation and ask if they would write you a cheque or do a bank transfer on this occasion?

• Chris says:

Yep, asked for a cheque and the answer was still no, has to be the same card even though it doesn’t exist…

• Shoestring says:

I took an item my wife bought (on her card) in for a refund at the weekend – they said they needed her card ending XYZA, so I said sure and just put in my Halifax debit card, there was no problem getting the refund

• Shoestring, I wonder if it wasn’t just any shop…?! Also works with First Direct debit cards.

• Chris says:

Thanks everyone for all your help. As always, you are a jolly decent bunch of people!!

• the_real_a says:

Barclaycard did a charge-back on a closed account in same circumstances. Its best to get a “refund” invoice or some other paperwork from the hotel.

3. Kevin Dulin says:

OT – Does anyone know if the Trainline offer on AMEX works with the app as well? or just online? The app doesn’t include a booking fee for same day tickets, but online does…

4. Robman says:

Hi, off-topic question for anyone who can help me with an answer. Yesterday I received a notification from Iberia that one of my flights that I’d booked in the Avios promotion that they ran will be cancelled. The flight was today from Asturias to Madrid. I wasn’t going to take this flight as I’m in London. However, being the opportunist that I am, I was wondering what compensation I would be entitled to, either from Iberia or through my Amex Platinum travel insurance. I’ve never had a flight cancelled before so not sure what my options are. Any advice much appreciated.

• Shoestring says:

You *might* be entitled to the EC261 compo from IB, worth filing it just in case. Timing is all, ie sounds like you didn’t check in, but that wouldn’t necessarily matter if they cancelled late enough before the flight.

5. Munch says:

I reserved the Ritz Carlton NY before the change today but not exchanged my points to the travel certificate. I’ve checked this evening and its increased to the new 85000 point per night from the original 60000 points. Is this correct, I was led to believe they would honour the old rate if reserved before the 5th March even f the points were not exchanged?

• Yes, that’s the case. This has cropped up on some of the US blogs today. Marriott will hopefully fix it.

• Munch says:

Ok sounds like another Marriott IT fail. They seem to love frustrating their customers

• In anticipation of this I took screenshots of my two reservations and also sent myself emails of the reservation with the old points levels. I hope Marriott fixes it though as I’m not looking forward to potential turnarounds on the phone with misinformed CSA.

6. OT
    I’m trying to get reward flights on BA from London to the US West Coast.
    I’ve got trackers set up to show when seats become availability however there are many options returning but none going out to the US.

Is there something that I don’t know which means there are many more seats into the UK?

• Kieran says:

I suppose it depends on dates. Certain dates of travel are more popular than others and obviously certain destinations are more popular too.

I had the same problem but in reverse. Could get out to the US but not back to London. I fiddled around with different airports and dates and eventually got something. If you are BAEC, don’t forget Alaska and Aer Lingus.