Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Diners Club acceptance to hugely increase in the UK with a new Barclaycard deal

The most surprising event in UK loyalty credit cards last year was Lufthansa partnering with Diners Club to return to the UK market.  Luckily, given the exceptionally low Diners Club acceptance in the UK, the card came partnered with a prepaid Mastercard which is funded via the Diners Club.

As both cards have the same earn rate of 1.25 Miles & More miles per £1, I assume that 99% of Lufthansa credit card holders have done what I have done – put the Diners Club card in a drawer and just carry the Mastercard.

This might change.  Barclaycard has just announced that the 110,000 businesses which use Barclaycard as their payment processor can now accept Diners ClubThis article from Finextra explains more.  Barclaycard is not asking shops for additional fees on Diners Club transactions so the majority will presumably opt in.

I see a small risk here for the Miles & More payment cards.  If Diners Club acceptance increases sharply, it would make sense for Diners Club to reduce the earning rate on the Mastercard element of their UK payment cards.  This would allow them to stop paying Mastercard its fee cut on those transactions.  It won’t happen in the short term but I can see it happening eventually.

Thanks to Kartik for this.

Comments (138)

• C says:

OT but hoping some Etihad frequent flyers might be able to help. Flying to Sri Lanka via Abu Dhabi in economy and looking to reserve seats in advance for my rather tall partner for the first leg on the A380 for our honeymoon (so that he will stop moaning about legroom!). They now have new ‘economy space’ section and exit seats for an extra £79 but there are seats in rows 50-52 that are an extra £30 and look like they might have some extra legroom on the seat plan but I can’t find any info on seat guru etc as it seems to be quite a new layout. Anyone got an ideas why these three rows are better than a standard seat but not as expensive as an exit row / economy space seat?

• Kevin says:

I used Economy Space last month. It makes a big difference – it’s no premium economy (seat is normal width) but you get a lot more leg room than with a normal seat. We paid for it but I expect some people nabbed them for free 48 hours out. But as for rows 50-52 I really don’t know. I don’t think that is an economy space section.

• Graham Walsh says:

OT Had a nice upgrade at the weekend at the Hilton DT Cambridge Belfry. Upgraded to a Penthouse Suite after booking standard Spa night package as a Diamond member.

• Ant says:

OT:Shangri-La Instant dining. I have 250 points and my husband 500 and we are both Jade through Amex.
    We will be in Singapore and KL next month and would like to use the points. But not sure what value we would get. Also any suggestions on recommended places to use them? Thanks

• Boi says:

OT: any lounge my sister can access with platinum at kings cross? She arrived too early for her train back to Leeds.

• Alan says:

Afraid not – only train lounge is Eurostar ones (and obvs need to be travelling with them)

• AndyK says:

OT. Any bonus Avios for a second supplementary card on BAPP?

• Delta Mike says:

When is this Accor Live Limitless going live? (no pun intended)

The 21st of Feb I received an e-mail saying that my 100k points will expire the 7th of April and I am rushing to find a way not to waste them. I would welcome the possibility to extend the deadline by having a coffee.

• Delta Mike says:

Sorry, see now it’s “late 2019″… too late…

• Also says:

Take a survey on ClubOpinions. Should reset expiry

• Lady London says:

Some Accor hotels are currently less than £40 in the UK. Avoid F1 and IBIS Budget (as those don’t accrue points and you can’t use them) and just book a night somewhere.

100,000 Accor is worth 2000 euros off hotel nights with accor. so it’s definitely worth a quick check in somewhere that will count for points, just to keep them alive.

• Shoestring says:

Or transfer your Accor points to Iberia – won’t be wasted that way.

• Rob says:

You DEFINITELY want to preserve those – or take 100,000 Iberia Avios (not BA as you only get 50,000). Do a mattress run at your local dodgy Mercure.

• Stuart_f says:

Accor is managing to make this a double status devaluation if you are Platinum. From top tier to mid-tier. The addition of a single suite certificate (actual details unknown) hardly fills me with joy and there’s still no breakfast in hotels without a lounge (which is most of them).

If anything ever goes wrong on a stay their ‘support’ is pitiful at best. I can’t see them becoming more than a novelty for frequent travellers unless they fix the glaring problems first.

• Dwadda says:

I don’t think it is a major devaluation for Platinum. I was getting suite upgrades on occassion (well two in the last 18 months). Now I reckon you won’t get any adhoc without a certificate because they will go to Diamond.

Free breakfast would be nice. Apparently (I think I read it here) Platinums are meant to get free breakfast in Asia – I have yet to be offered this in any of my 9 Accor Asia stays since December (I don’t stay at Ibis where breakfast is included). Was I dreaming this?

• Rob says:

There will be fairly few Diamond members, I reckon, and most of those will be people spending large sums at The Savoy or Raffles Singapore who are unlikely to be fighting you for a suite at Novotel Sheffield.

• Andrew says:

Bits

Anyone know if an Apple purchase using the Educational Discount or Affiliate Discount is collected under the same system as a standard Apple purchase?

The £50 of £500 spend in Amex offers is quite intriguing, but don’t want to lose it by using a college log-in for the more basic 2-3% discount on an Iphone.

• Tony says:

You can always return it if it doesn’t work out…

• Optimus Prime says:

Do those discounts allow for part payment with a gift card? If so you can use the Amex offer to buy one and then redeem it with your student account. (People over at HUKD have confirmed Amex offered is triggered by buying gift cards).

• guesswho2000 says:

I made a purchase a couple of years back using Apple Education online and it was the exact same merchant which charged my card as a purchase I made about two months ago, if that helps, “Apple Online”, so should trigger the offer no worries.

• Alastair says:

Not exactly the same but I’ve bought a MacBook under the academic program and still gotten the Avios via BA shopping (20k or so!)

• Mr Dee says:

Yes you can use both, you can also buy a gift card and then use it with the educational discount. I would however wait until their event on the March 25th incase of price reductions.

• BJ says:

There are cheaper places to buy apple products even after the £50 rebate.

• Louise says:

Definitely worked out by buying a gift card last time they had this offer. Also meant I didn’t have to rush into my purchase