Bits: more on BA’s new CW and F seats, £400 back on £500 Bremont spend, London City and Sheraton get new logos

News in brief:

More on BA’s new Club World and First upgrades

A reader sent me an interview with Alex Cruz which has appeared in a BA staff magazine.  There are a couple of interesting bits of news here on the new seats which I hadn’t seen before:

When an aircraft is taken out of service to get the new Club World seat installed, it will also get new First Class seats.  This will be “our best [current] First seat, upgraded slightly”, which presumably means the 787-9 version.

The new “brilliant” Club World seat will “address all the issues our customers tell us about with respect to the current seat: gate-to-gate in-flight entertainment, all aisle access … more and better storage and more privacy”.

This is the first time I’ve seen storage addressed in the specifications.  There was also this statement, which is actually less contentious than you think when you start to list out the alternatives:

I think across the Atlantic, we do offer the best First Class experience.

Bremont American Express offer

Get £400 cashback on a £500 Bremont spend

A new offer has appeared on quite a lot of American Express cards which could prove quite expensive for the company concerned.

British-based watch group Bremont is offering £400 back when you spend £500.  See if the offer is showing under the ‘Offers’ tab on any of your online Amex statement pages.

Here are the rules:

Save to Card to get a £400 statement credit on an eligible transaction of £500+ in participating stores & online at Bremont Watches by 16/6/19. Valid once per Card for the first 10,000 Cardmembers to save. Terms, location & payment restrictions apply.

You can spend either at bremont.com or one of their stores.  Our City readers will find one in the Royal Exchange.

Here’s the thing.  Whilst Bremont primarily sells expensive watches, it also sells other items.  Cufflinks, watch rolls, watch wallets, key fobs, document holders, hip flasks, journals, pocket squares, ties, business card holders etc.  This is the online selection and you may find other items instore.

The Amex offer has no restrictions on what you can buy.  In theory you could pick up £500 of high quality bits and pieces and effectively get an 80% discount.

London City Airport and Sheraton get new logos

London City Airport unveiled a rebranding yesterday, designed to reflect the fact that it is now a leisure airport as much as a business airport.

The accompanying promotional video, see here, describes it as a “dynamic and game-changing new identity”.  You may have other ideas.

Not to be outdone, Sheraton also revealed its new logo – see below.

Marriott said, with a straight face, that it  “came from modern day town squares in Europe such as the Piazza del Campo in Siena, Trafalgar Square in London, and Plaza Mayor in Madrid, which function as places at the heart of the community where people gather and the city comes to life”.

New Sheraton logo

If you got the letter closing your Lloyds Avios Rewards Amex card, what should you do?
The result of the BA pilots vote on industrial action is not looking good ....

IHG

Comments

1. Charlie Whiskey says:

Quote: “I think across the Atlantic, we do offer the best First Class experience.”
    But only so long as you fly direct from the UK , and don’t go with Swiss, Air France or Lufthansa

2. Shoestring says:

Another very good Virgin Wines offer https://www.virginwines.co.uk/favourite-discovery-club-wines-offer

£47.88 plus Postage I guess £7.99 = £4.50 a bottle for 12 very drinkable wines. (I prefer the red case!)

& if it’s your first Virgin Wines order you get 3000 Virgin miles (=£30).

Just ‘resign’ from the Discovery Club after delivery (quick phone call) if you don’t want to order a full price case once a quarter.

• Is the 3000 miles offer still around, I can only find mention of 750 miles?

• Just emailed them, the standard case would attract 3000, this offer would only be 750.

• Shoestring says:

aha! I guess they make the rules

we got 3000 several times in the past so can’t complain if they are trying not to lose quite so much money on the loss leaders 🙂

• @Craig. They’ve offered 3000 bonus miles regularly for the first purchase in the past, no reason for them not to do this again in the future so hold out for that rather than the 750 for your first purchase.

• Shoestring says:

I had a check and 3000 on first case seems to have disappeared as an offer for now

3. I thought LH offered a very good “First” product? Never flown it just what I’ve picked up on here. They also fly across the Atlantic.

Or is BA better than LH?

• Michael says:

Apparently LH’s first product is quite impressive with the porsche taking you to the plane and dedicated first class terminal and apparently it’s quite good at Air France. I’ve not flown any of them but have read this reviews. I’ve not flown BA F either but given the choice I’d pick Lufthansa.

• I think Alex is basing this on carriers flying directly from the UK. Air France, Lufthansa and SWISS First Class dumps on BA First from a great height.

• Michael says:

And how many carriers actually fly an aircraft with an F cabin to the UK from the US. I count BA and American.

• Ah, so its not what he says but what you infer from what he is saying that makes it less contentious. Interesting way to go about things.

• Because very few airlines flying from the UK to North America DIRECT even have First Class so BA is not up against much competition. When we start looking at the Middle East and Asia then obviously BA starts to look bad.

• Froggee says:

And, at least for me, Rob’s comment was sponsored by British Airways who have the main banner ad on this page and also the top right one…

• Yup, the best IMO, more about service than anything else, and the only decent breakfast I’ve had in tbe air in 30+ years.

4. I need 4 one way tickets from TLV to London in April. (Going out on BA Avios- but no return availability)

I have plenty Amex points- but what options do I have if wanted to book the inbound one way flight as a reward on another airline?

Also open to perhaps having a full day (one night) sightseeing in a European city on the return.

• Just fly direct with Wizz/Easyjet – they are cheap and it’s only 5 hrs…

• It’s Passover and Easter in April so reward availability likely to be very limited. You could try Iberia to Madrid (more saver availability on Iberia direct), KLM, Air France, Star Alliance etc.

5. Alex D says:

No watch off for me on any of my 4 cards, which is odd as i tend to get quite a few, around 30 on my BAPP and 20 or so on my Gold card

6. Scott W says:

From the UK to the US non-stop it is only AA and BA that have First, so it’s hardly controversial. However, if you look at all airlines flying Trans-Atlantic, then not only Lufthansa, Swiss and Air France, but also Singapore Airline (FRA-JFK) knock BA far behind. The 787-9 First seat is, to be fair, not that far behind the European competitors, but it is the ground services that leave BA far behind.

I can see the new CW seat being a bit like how AA differs between business and first – which isn’t very much.

7. On singapore flight now and just dropped my phone in the first suite and cracked the screen . Phone is working for time being but is not safe as the glass is sharded.

Does anyone know if my amex plat card insurance will cover me ?

Not a great start to my holidays .

• I also have Curve black so Does this come with gadget insurance?

Any advice on what my best options are would be much appreciated .

• In the short term, find some sticky-back plastic or a screen protector – that will at least keep it usable rather than getting splinters in your fingers.

Next time, fly on a private jet with a nice thick-pile carpet, to cushion the fall…

• Do you or anybody in the family have Nationwide FlexPlus? Just got rid of my ipad today after a week of misery, at times I would happily have cracked the screen on it intentionally 🙂

• Doug M says:

Surprised at this. Apple, overpriced, but very usable devices. What didn’t you like?

• Personally I can see the benefit of the Apple ecosystem for folk that like it, but coming from Android I find iOS quite dated (we have iPads at work) – the keyboard is frustrating, esp predictive text, and I find the homescreen grid quite clunky compared to the customisation available on Android (esp around widgets, etc.). I do like to tweak and tinker with things though, so I know I’m probably not their target audience!

• iOS; it’s utter crap, so laborious and frustrating in comparison to android. Used Apple years ago and liked them, there main selling point was always that they were so user-friendly, designed for idiots. They’ve now obviously lost the plot.

• Are you travelling solo? Also any witnesses?

• Indiacharliepapa says:

Amex covered my cracked screen repair taking off a £50 excess. I dropped mine on the street in NYC. flight or accom must have been booked in the plat card. No witnesses or proof needed in my case.

• Are you mean Amex plat travel insurance covers only for the holiday paid via the card but not other cards?

• Genghis says:

Some items in the insurance have a requirement to pay by Amex issued Amex (not just Plat), assuming option was available.

• Louise says:

Is it a single crack? Apple cover single crack as manufacturing default

• Is samsung just had it fixed under warranty last week due to screenburn . Dropped it loads of times prior and never broke .

Im thinking maybe it was not maybe fitted back perfectly .

• there is hardly an insurance against stupidity and clumsiness…

8. Dominic says:

I was intrigued by the Bremont offer…. then I looked at their store. I’ll pass.

9. Steve Mullaney says:

Re BA’s super new CW seat. I’ve not seen anything about the length of the bed (not the pitch but the usable length of the bed). I’m 1.95m / 6’5″ and CW is only good for shorter day flights – I can’t stretch out in it. All newer business class seats offer almost 2m, hence my choice of other carriers. I even touch the ends in BA’s First seat, which is only 6’6″.
    When will BA catch-up? (I’m not holding my breath).
    Steve
    Croydon

10. can’t see the Bremont on my amex plat sadly

11. OT: I got a confirmation from iberia that my details have been deleted, tried logging in and didn’t work.
    The way to delete all data and close account is through one of the drop-down options on contact us.

• Was that with a negative Avios balance?

• Shoestring says:

GDPR route will get your data erased & a/c closed – but what happens if IAG join up the IB & BAEC points platforms in the future? Does your negative IB balance suddenly reappear in an amalgamated points a/c?

• Optimus Prime says:

Are we sure they delete all data and are not allowed to keep anything at all to prevent fraud?

I know that matched bettors that have been ‘gubbed’ are asking bookies to delete all personal data but they have refused – they keep some information to prevent you from opening a new account and be eligible for signup bonuses, promotions, etc.

• Shoestring says:

Iberia are up front about that, also telling you that they will keep essential data possibly needed for future legal reasons. [Plenty of case studies on FT.]

In theory that shouldn’t mean you stay recorded as a minus 90K Avios account.

But I doubt it.

• Genghis says:

@Optimus Prime never head of “gubbed”. I’m gonna start using it. I’ve been gubbed from a few bookies during my matches betting days. In particular, the Bet365 champions league offers were amazing.

• Lol not heard of it in a betting context before, up here it means being really tired (see Scottish vernacular meaning)!

• Optimus Prime says:

@Genghis – Oh really? On the other hand I never heard of matched betting until you mentioned it here around summer 2017. I also miss my bet365 account 🙁

• @genghis out of curiousity – was it really so lucrative and profitable (at least in short term) or is it another scam and a way to lose money and enrich services like Profit Accumulator etc?

• Yes, and like Genghis pointed out the email said they may keep details for legal reasons

12. I would have loved the Bremont offer, i would have walked into the store and paid on 4 diff cards.

13. Harvey says:

OT.
    Travelling abroad with the following CC cards. Which are most beneficial to use?(I think they are all with a FX fee)
    Plat
    Gold
    Bapp
    Spg
    Virgin+

• Waddle says:

Virgin when paired with Curve becomes fee-free FX & points earning.

• TGLoyalty says:

If you don’t care about the 3% fee Gold earns double MR

If you are staying at an SPG property you would also get double but thats the same inside or outside the UK.

14. @mkcol says:

OT: Have just (17:31) had email from Hilton Honors saying they’ve just matched my status & I need to complete 8 stays in 90 days to maintain Diamond.
    Most peculiarly I already was Diamond, which was due to expire end of March 2020 & hadn’t applied for any match or extension or anything.
    Anyone else getting such oddity?

• Me too, I matched in May last year and completed 8 stays. Then I was told I’d gained status until March 2019 which I assumed was a mistake. Just had the same email as you??

• Probably just the latest in a string of Hilton IT glitches.

• Brian W says:

Me too. I completed the Diamond challenge Nov 2018, giving me Diamond till March 2020.

I’m assuming it’s an error!

15. With 6 Amex cards between my wife and I, we took full advantage of the recent BP offer, so much so that not one of them has the Bremont offer. Shame, because it is the best offer I have seen to date.