Bits: see the Spice Girls with Hilton, last chance to register for IHG’s Spring promo, get 3000 bonus Radisson points

News in brief:

See the Spice Girls with Hilton Honors

Hilton Honors has an interesting auction package up for grabs to see the Spice Girls at Wembley on 14th June.  Interestingly, it has been sitting on the site for a couple of weeks now with only three bids, and is currently at 84,000 points.

This is what you get:

Two tickets to the Spice Girls concert at Wembley Stadium on June 14, 2019

3-course dining experience at Association Restaurant at Hilton London Wembley on June 14, 2019

Pre-concert drinks in Sky Bar 9

Two night stay at Hilton London Wembley from June 13-15, 2019, including daily breakfast

Given the concert sold out in minutes, this is a pretty valuable package.  You can bid or find out more here.  The auction closes on 1st April.

Hilton Honors spice girls auction

Last chance to register for IHG’s Spring promotion – stay by 30th April

If you haven’t registered for the current IHG Rewards Club promotion “Reward Nights. Faster” then you must do so by Friday 15th MarchClick here to register.

The promotion runs until 30th April, so sign up if you think there is a chance that you might have an InterContinental / Crowne Plaza / Holiday Inn / Indigo etc stay in the next six weeks.

This is the first time that IHG has ever closed registration early.  Marriott has been doing this for years but IHG has usually let you register right up to the last day.  This makes more sense, to be honest – it’s not as if your average business traveller has full visibility of their schedule for the next six weeks.  I certainly don’t.

Everyone has personalised targets which, in general, are easier or more generous than we have seen for a while.  This is my article on the offer.  I got the following targets:

10,000 bonus points for staying five nights

19,200 bonus points for staying at three different IHG brands

5,600 bonus points for 2 x 2-night weekend stays (Saturday plus another night)

8,000 bonus points for four stays booked on the corporate rate of the company I haven’t worked for since 2011!

3,000 bonus points for one stay in February

42,800 bonus points for completing four of the five targets above

At present I am on target to earn the 19,200 points bonus for staying at three different brands.  I also got the 3,000 points for a February stay.  If that is all I manage, I will have got 22,200 bonus points – which I’d value at around £90 – for my three one-night stays which is a decent result.  I also earned my base points too.  If the chance comes up to squeeze in another two nights then I will trigger another 10,000 bonus points worth £40.

Take a look at what you’ve been offered.  You need to register for ‘Reward Nights. Faster.’ by Friday – the link is here where you will also find your personalised targets.  Stays must be completed by 30th April.

Radisson sale with 3000 bonus Radisson Rewards points

Earn 3,000 bonus Radisson Rewards points when you book their sale rates

Radisson Rewards is running a sale at the moment with an interesting twist.

As well as saving up to 30% on standard rates, you will receive 3,000 bonus Radisson Rewards points with every booking.

I value a Radisson Rewards point at around 0.35p, based on using 70,000 points for a five star room which I’d value at £250.  This means that the bonus is worth £10.50 of extra points, which you earn on top of your existing points.  This could be a very attractive rebate on cheap stays.

This is how the sale works:

Covers Radisson Blu, Radisson Blu Edwardian, Radisson Collection, Park Inn and Park Plaza

Valid for hotels in Europe, Africa and Middle East

Book by 7th April

Stay between 8th April and 12th May (30th May in the Middle East)

Remember that you can top up your Radisson Rewards easily via American Express Membership Rewards transfers at the very generous rate of 1:3.  American Express Platinum cardholders get free Radisson Rewards Gold status as one of their benefits.

You can find out more about the sale on the Radisson Blu site here.

How to Upgrade With Avios - Avios Redemption University - Lesson 3
EU bans all Boeing 737 MAX 8 flights from its airspace - Norwegian and Tui impacted

IHG

Comments

1. MoJack says:

OT; Advice pls,
    Whats the best thing to do with <500 points left in an amex account…?

2. OT – Completed the outbound leg of a flight to FLL from LHR with a connection in ATL. The transit time between flights was only 64 minutes so was always going to be touch and go if we cleared immigration in time for the connection – landing time 8:25pm / connecting flight 9.29pm. “Surprisingly” we missed the connecting flights due to the lack of staff at immigration – the flight did arrive on time.

We we’re able to board the next flight but there was no 1st class seats available so had to take comfort+ or wait until the following day. Could I claim compensation for the downgrade? The flight was booked as a cash ticket last year but times altered on a number of occasions which meant the transfer time was very short compared to the original booking.

• Genghis says:

Isn’t there precedent from an Emirates case last year about EC261 being payable on connecting flights that originate from the EU?

• Not sure. We did make the next flight at 11.45pm so in theory delayed 2 hours 15 minutes but downgraded to comfort +.

• Yes. If you arrive 3+ hours late because your incoming flight was under 3 hours late but you missed your connection, compo is due.

• Jonathan says:

My understanding is if you voluntarily downgrade to get an earlier flight then no downgrade compensation. The fact you were 2hrs 15mins late also removes delay compensation as well unfortunately. If you had waited for First availability then would have been entitled to delay payment.

• Shoestring says:

I think Jonathan is right – it was your call to take the downgrade, therefore it was voluntary. Your best bet might be asking customer services for some Avios points.

Delay does not appear to be long enough to claim compo on that score – but you omit the arrival time of plane #2 (doors open) which is the important datum (not your 11.45 take off).

3. OT – BAPP – is there a bigger sign up than 25K (26K with referral)??

Sure there has been 35K when they do offers

4. Michael says:

If you have a virgin and card you could try that.

5. OFF TOPIC.

As a BAEC silver status holder is the extra check-in baggage allowance permitted when flying on an Iberia plane booked using IB Avios via iberia.com in what Iberia call Blue Class ?

OR
    Is Blue Class like the BA HBO fare (although does include 1 check-in bag !!) in that extra baggage allowance from status is not allowed ?

Cheers.

6. Taylor says:

OT: What is the better lounge at Birmingham for a week day flight No1 or Aspire? And is there a way to reserve Aspire in the same way as No1 for £5 using priority pass?

• Shoestring says:

on point 2, I’d like to be proven wrong, but – answer: no, not for £5. I think you can reserve a place by buying entry, ie £40 at times, but you can’t reserve entry on PP @£5 same as No1

• I am Birmingham-based and much prefer No1 over Aspire in terms of surroundings and quality of food/drink. The ability to reserve for £5 is also a bonus and includes access to fast track security which has always been well worth it for us. Next time we have a day flight I’m tempted to try the new No1 Clubrooms – can be reserved for £15 on PP I believe.

7. Qwerty Bertie says:

Does showing a platinum card typically gain entry to lounges, if the PP card has been left behind?

• Genghis says:

If you swipe it and charge £40 to it, of course. There is a PP app.

• No. However Plat has direct deals with Plaza Premium and Delta – flash your card there and you’ll get in.

• TGLoyalty says:

sign in to the PP App and you can add a virtual card to your wallet

• Qwerty Bertie says:

Thanks. It’s a shame they can’t just add a little logo to the amex card, the way HSBC has with Lounge Key. I was hoping a flash would work so that I could purposely not carry the PP card.

I can’t use most apps as I have a Windows phone. I’ll have a look, but I expect it’ll be the same old story with PP…

8. Bits OT – anyone else not received a Lloyd’s letter yet? Just renewed and thought I’d get home to one but nada. Don’t want to end up being caught out if they think they’ve notified me and I don’t hit the £7k in time!

• I’ve not had one yet, card year started Feb 4th.

• Lev441 says:

You’ll have to your next renewal date to spend and earn the upgrade voucher..

• I’ve not had one. My card year started mid-October. I think they’ll have to prove they sent the letter otherwise it won’t hold.

• Arrived this morning! Got until Feb next year to hit spend so all good – will spend majority before Amex goes (as better earnings rate) then hold off triggering it until the end.

9. Doug M says:

Assume you have to be flying Delta to access a Delta lounge with Platinum?

• Yes – but this is still a good benefit because Delta does NOT give lounge access in the US if you are flying in Business or First Class. Amex is your only way in unless you have status.

10. OT, I have just secured my return flight from MIA to ABZ which i added to my outbound ticket on a Lloyd’s upgrade voucher. My problem is that my domestic up to ABZ is on a plane 2hrs later than the rest of my family. I had a backup reward flight in economy booked MIA to ABZ in case I did not find my return In CW. On cancelling my economy backup booking it opened up a WT seat on the same domestic leg with my family up to ABZ. I booked this for 4500 Avios and £17.50. What will happen if I do not turn up for the domestic leg on the later plane? I don’t want to cancel because I won’t get into the lounge, but I want to be on the same plane as my family up to ABZ even if it is economy. I have just booked all this so any advice would be helpful and I can sort it without fees as I will be within 24hrs.

• WT seat in domestic LHR-ABZ doesn’t make sense. Do you mean a regular Economy or Club Europe (CE) seat?

As you are flying on a CW LH redemption, you should be assigned into domestic CE for the LHR-ABZ sector (assuming its available) for zero Avios (although taxes are added and are significantly higher than RFS)

Either way, as you’re within 24 hours, ensure CE is not available on ideal domestic sector and if not, get them to swap your 4500 + RFS into your MIA-ABZ PNR and save your Avios.

PS Even if you do nothing, nothing will happen if you don’t fly the last sector on your existing 2hr late itinerary.

• Thanks for the reply Jon
        Sorry yes I meant CE seat. No CE seat available up to ABZ on the plane my family is on.
        Who should I ask to swap 4500 + RFS as that is booked online with BA and the other ticket is booked via Avios.com?
        Two things I need to know is will I get in the Lounge and the other is will I be cheaper just cancelling the domestic leg to save taxes and just go with my single ticket?