Bits: see the Spice Girls with Hilton, last chance to register for IHG’s Spring promo, get 3000 bonus Radisson points

News in brief:

See the Spice Girls with Hilton Honors

Hilton Honors has an interesting auction package up for grabs to see the Spice Girls at Wembley on 14th June.  Interestingly, it has been sitting on the site for a couple of weeks now with only three bids, and is currently at 84,000 points.

This is what you get:

Two tickets to the Spice Girls concert at Wembley Stadium on June 14, 2019

3-course dining experience at Association Restaurant at Hilton London Wembley on June 14, 2019

Pre-concert drinks in Sky Bar 9

Two night stay at Hilton London Wembley from June 13-15, 2019, including daily breakfast

Given the concert sold out in minutes, this is a pretty valuable package.  You can bid or find out more here.  The auction closes on 1st April.

Hilton Honors spice girls auction

Last chance to register for IHG’s Spring promotion – stay by 30th April

If you haven’t registered for the current IHG Rewards Club promotion “Reward Nights. Faster” then you must do so by Friday 15th MarchClick here to register.

The promotion runs until 30th April, so sign up if you think there is a chance that you might have an InterContinental / Crowne Plaza / Holiday Inn / Indigo etc stay in the next six weeks.

This is the first time that IHG has ever closed registration early.  Marriott has been doing this for years but IHG has usually let you register right up to the last day.  This makes more sense, to be honest – it’s not as if your average business traveller has full visibility of their schedule for the next six weeks.  I certainly don’t.

Everyone has personalised targets which, in general, are easier or more generous than we have seen for a while.  This is my article on the offer.  I got the following targets:

10,000 bonus points for staying five nights

19,200 bonus points for staying at three different IHG brands

5,600 bonus points for 2 x 2-night weekend stays (Saturday plus another night)

8,000 bonus points for four stays booked on the corporate rate of the company I haven’t worked for since 2011!

3,000 bonus points for one stay in February

42,800 bonus points for completing four of the five targets above

At present I am on target to earn the 19,200 points bonus for staying at three different brands.  I also got the 3,000 points for a February stay.  If that is all I manage, I will have got 22,200 bonus points – which I’d value at around £90 – for my three one-night stays which is a decent result.  I also earned my base points too.  If the chance comes up to squeeze in another two nights then I will trigger another 10,000 bonus points worth £40.

Take a look at what you’ve been offered.  You need to register for ‘Reward Nights. Faster.’ by Friday – the link is here where you will also find your personalised targets.  Stays must be completed by 30th April.

Radisson sale with 3000 bonus Radisson Rewards points

Earn 3,000 bonus Radisson Rewards points when you book their sale rates

Radisson Rewards is running a sale at the moment with an interesting twist.

As well as saving up to 30% on standard rates, you will receive 3,000 bonus Radisson Rewards points with every booking.

I value a Radisson Rewards point at around 0.35p, based on using 70,000 points for a five star room which I’d value at £250.  This means that the bonus is worth £10.50 of extra points, which you earn on top of your existing points.  This could be a very attractive rebate on cheap stays.

This is how the sale works:

Covers Radisson Blu, Radisson Blu Edwardian, Radisson Collection, Park Inn and Park Plaza

Valid for hotels in Europe, Africa and Middle East

Book by 7th April

Stay between 8th April and 12th May (30th May in the Middle East)

Remember that you can top up your Radisson Rewards easily via American Express Membership Rewards transfers at the very generous rate of 1:3.  American Express Platinum cardholders get free Radisson Rewards Gold status as one of their benefits.

You can find out more about the sale on the Radisson Blu site here.

How to Upgrade With Avios - Avios Redemption University - Lesson 3
EU bans all Boeing 737 MAX 8 flights from its airspace - Norwegian and Tui impacted

IHG

Comments

1. Cuchlainn says:

OT ( already !! ) :
    Flying domestic on BA into LHR pm on Mon 15th April, for onward connection to JFK at 11.20am next morning again with BA. Couple of queries please :
    1. Can I check our hold baggage right through from BHD-LHR-JFK ? ( 4 pax, all on one ticket )
    2. Best way to get from Terminal 5 to 4 for overnight hotel lodging ?
    3. Transit time to get from Terminal 4 to 5 next morning and through security at Terminal 5 ? ( approx )
    TIA

• 1. Yes, as it’s less than 24 hours. But some staff will claim that you can’t because of “security”, these are people who lie and make stuff up when they don’t know the answer or don’t know how to do their job.

2,3. Easiest way is local buses 482 and 490 – it’s free within the airport, so just walk on, no need to do anything. Takes about 20 mins, around every 15 mins unless you’re arriving very late at night.

You can also take the tube or train, but you need to change at Terminal 2/3. For the tube you need to use a contactless bank card but won’t be charged, for the train you can also do that, or get a free transfer ticket from a machine. It may be faster or slower than the bus depending on your luck, as you need to wait for 2 tubes or trains. The tube to T5 is every 10 mins, T4 every 8 mins, and the big trains are every 15 mins.

Security at T5 is variable, but as it’s a Tuesday and not at the start of school holidays you’ll probably be OK, I guess 5-20 mins.

• There is no direct tube from T2/T3 to T4, so going from T5 to T4 on the tube you need to change at Hattons Cross. You can go from T4 to T2/T3 direct however in that direction only.

• Cuchlainn says:

Thanks John

• Don’t forget your flight to JFK will depart from the B or C concourse so you’ll need to factor in a bit of extra time to get over there. If you’re flying in J, the B lounge is usually quieter than the main T5 one.

• Cuchlainn says:

Good thinking Anna – yes, ticketed in J too !

• Remember you can also book spa treatments in B lounges from the A lounge spa if you’re not heading straight across to B!

• No more 737 MAX Flying in the USA either until further notice.

• Shoestring says:

President Trump announced that the United States was grounding Boeing’s 737 Max aircraft, reversing an earlier decision by American regulators to keep the jets flying in the wake of a second deadly crash involving one of the jets in Ethiopia.

The Federal Aviation Administration had for days resisted calls to ground the plane even as safety regulators in some 42 countries had banned flights by the jets. As recently as Tuesday, the agency said it had seen “no systemic performance issues” that would prompt it to halt flights of the jet.

“The safety of the American people, of all people, is our paramount concern,” Mr. Trump said.

The order came hours after Canada’s transport minister said that newly available satellite-tracking data suggested similarities between the crash in Ethiopia and another accident last October.

2. OT- Amex Apple Offer

Has anyone received the offer redeemed email?
    I have used the offer but so far not received the email.

3. O/T last night I impulsively booked outbound F tickets to Sydney next Feb using 2-4-1 voucher. At D-355, do non-UK call centres still allow me to add return leg to my existing 2-4-1 booking? Thanks!

• Genghis says:

Yes. Good luck getting through and booking ex-SYD. I struggled getting to US call centre (confirmed next morning by UK their call volumes were ridiculous) but luckily booked online and sorted the numbers in the morning.

• Thanks Genghis, just to make sure I am clear on booking return leg online – You booked a separate redemption flight SYD-LHR online for full points and then called next morning to add it to the outbound flight and therefore get half points back as it’s part of 2-4-1?

• Genghis says:

I didn’t book ex-SYD but yes.

• pauldb says:

I also did it this week – very straightforward call to get it adjusted. You’ll also save £33pp by paying Oz YQ instead of UK YQ oneway. It’s not “added” to the outbound, in the sense you retain two separate bookings.

• It’s a shame this entire process isn’t automated! Honestly, how difficult could it really be to just write a script.

• Paul Stevens says:

I did a similar thing last year. Got the F flight out to Sydney but there were no returns available, even at D-355. Had add the return leg from Singapore and get a cheap flight there. Advantage of this was the Singapore – London flight was on a A380 whereas the London – Sing – Sydney flight was all on 777.

• Bonglim says:

I have done it a few times at D-355 from the Japan call centre. They have always been really helpful.

There is a slight problem if you want to book a flight back on a wednesday etc as the call centres don’t tend to be open on a sat night/ sunday morning. But if a weekend flight then calling midweek worked really well.

4. Jovanna says:

My Radisson status dropped from gold to silver at the beginning of the month. I had gold status through Amex Platinum. I still have the Amex Plat card. I can’t apply through Amex again, having applied already. The box is greyed out.

• Andrew says:

When I’ve dealt with Radisson Rewards they’ve always been very helpful. Explaining to them your situation in a cheery manner has usually got them to resolve it (aka re-upgrade your tier) without any hassle.

• Interesting. Mine says I earned Gold again despite not having stayed and no longer having Platinum.. for nearly a year

• I had the same, dropping from Gold through Amex to Silver, as well as someone accessing my account and treating themselves to a two night stay at Niagra Falls Grand Hotel with my points. A short conversation with Patty at Radisson CS got both issues resolved there and then.

• Hope they don’t inform the person that nicked your points and they arrive at Niagara to find no room waiting for them!

• I always have to chase this up. Radisson (Club Carlson) always ask me to have Amex email them that I’m still eligible.

5. stevenhp1987 says:

O/T – How long does it take to get the £10k voucher on the Virgin Rewards+ card? Had the card just over 2 weeks and have had over £11k post on it thus far (it posted past £10k Monday) – no sign of any voucher in my FC account (my last activity was a +750 points for a Virgin Wine purchase in January…)

• It should show up in the next few days on your account summary “Virgin Atlantic Reward +”

6. The Spice Girls HH offer must be pretty new, it wasn’t there last week when I checked out the various global auction/offers.
    Good deal but going to be well into 6 figures of points, Wembley Hilton when these events are on is mega expensive.

If you fancy something really cool, Sunday at the Masters in Augusta is an eye-watering 620,000 points and will go higher.

7. Sussex Bantam says:

I hadn’t looked at the Hilton site for some time. Some of the pricing on there is “interesting”….

A helicopter ride over Netherlands and 2 nights in the Waldorf Amsterdam – yours for just 2 Million points !!

• probably Americans who can print millions of points doing large scale manufactured spend. Fixed price redemptions are pretty opaque but these auctions bring out how low some people value their points

8. OT – how much do you value for Hilton points?
    Booked 2 nights for Conrad New York using Amex £200 off offer plus third night using points.
    Now if book 3 days in cash will only cost £250 more.
    Really need to get my head around, will you pay £250 more to save about 95000 points + diamond benefits (mainly brekky maybe upgrade). Thanks

• If you’ve booked via Amex, you may not get Diamond benefits for those nights. I’ve even had Accor refuse to give me status benefits for a paid stay tagged on to an Amex booking – not sure if the Conrad will do the same. Whether the third night is booked with points or cash shouldn’t make any difference to that, so the only question is whether you prefer to keep 250 pounds or 95000 points.

• 95000 points worth more than £250 imho

• I would also value the 95,000 points to be more worth more than £250.00. Opt for the cash booking and don’t forget the points you will earn for the booking.

• Thanks, I will go for the cash booking through Hilton.

• Because of the fixed value floor to Hilton points it is almost impossibly to be worse off if you switch. You will always get at least £250 for 95k points and usually more.

9. OT – Do Amex have any retention offers with the Platinum card when you cancel?

10. RichardExpress says:

O/T: Does anyone know if you can convert Clubcard points to avios or even flying club miles if the name on the Clubcard account doesn’t match the name on the BAEC account? The address and surname are the same just first name is different?

• pauldb says:

Is this a case of 2 relations, or a name discrepancy. I credit my wife’s vouchers to my BAEC account by using her vouchers in my Tesco.com account/login – can you do that?

• LewisB says:

I’ve used clubcard points from numerous friends and never had an issue. Might be worth waiting for a promo, if you can wait.

11. OT
    Any krisflyer booking experience ?
    Trying to find availability for IST to MLE online and can’t seem to find star alliance routes, or if I find an award seat it doesn’t show me details?

Still deliberating over marriott v krisflyer lol
    Marriott options of ritz cartlton langkawi and le merdeien seychelles look very tempting, no plans to these places (yet) but can be made hopefully in the future.

• The Krisflyer website isn’t very good for partner bookings. Try the United website; if you can find something there at the lowest level, SQ should see it too if you ring them or use the excellent online chat function (which of course gives you a record of the conversation, though you have to paste it onto a document, rather than them emailing it to you like some other online chat providers do).

IME, Krisflyer availability is excellent, but there’s not a lot from IST as so many fora have recently promoted it as great value when going east.

• Thanks Louie
        I did give them a call and they told me how many points it would be but was difficult finding a date
        Also tried MAD-MLE which was a bit cheaper in points but thing is, we would actually really like to spend a couple of days in ist and sin.
        Do you know of any other ones with similar price in points that you could maybe email me?
        Thanks

12. OT: How long are Virgin FC to Hikton transfers taking these days?

13. OT: Revolut Just got the card and will be travelling in Malaysia next month. Since RM is not one of the currencies they support what are the fx charges if we use it in Malaysia?

• Genghis says:

It just means that you cannot hold a MYR balance. You’ll hold a balance in GBP which then gets translated at interbank rate during the week (UK time) and interbank + 1% at weekends (so maybe use another card).

14. Apologies if this has already been mentioned but yesterday the subject was raised concerning emails purporting to be from Hilton Honors offering Diamond Status to people like myself who already have it. I have received confirmation from Hilton it is not a glitch, nor is it from them.

15. O/T – US Plat Amex have a scheme entitled “By Invite Only” – is this accessible to UK Amex Plat card holders?