Air Belgium to operate Toronto flights for British Airways

As British Airways continues to struggle with the reliability of Boeing 787 fleet, Air Belgium has been called up to take on additional routes.

At present Air Belgium is operating certain Dubai services for BA.  In April and May it will operate one of the Newark services.  From 9th June to 17th August, Air Belgium will operate one of BA’s two daily flights to Toronto.

Flights BA92 and BA93 will be operated by Air Belgium’s ex-Finnair A340.  There are differences of opinion about this aircraft in Business Class – some people complain that it is worn out, but others like the ex-Finnair seating which is seen as preferable to Club World, as the photo below shows.

Air Belgium flying Toronto flights for British Airways

First Class passengers will be downgraded, although they will retain Concorde Room access and receive First Class Avios and tier points.  No compensation is due except for any fare difference.  Alternatively you can switch to the 2nd daily service.

The same goes for Premium Economy / World Traveller Plus passengers who will be downgraded to Economy / World Traveller or can switch aircraft.

See Monaco Grand Prix with Marriott Bonvoy
Spire Elite benefits at the InterContinental Amstel in Amsterdam

Comments

1. Dave Barron says:

I’m booked on those specific Toronto flights but luckily (in my view) I fly during April so assume I will still get the BA Dreamliner both way.

• Dave Barron says:

Also OT I’ve just upgraded from PRGC to Platinum and expect my new card imminently. What’s the process for getting my Priority Pass card? Will this automatically be issued and received around same time as my Amex card?

In terms of Toronto which is the best lounge to use? Will be travelling as a family with a 3 year old and a 5 year old. Thanks in advance!

• Automatic. In my experience, I got the PP before the Amex card.

Cant help on Toronto, sorry.

• fivebobbill says:

Can’t help you with the best lounge, but I can tell you to avoid the Plaza Premium (Domestic) in T3!! I was transiting through T3 last September and nipped into the above lounge for a seat and a quick bite to eat… bleak, dirty, food on the floor, just terrible… easily the worst lounge I’ve ever been in!
        However, depending on your route, there are a host of lounges accessible with Priority Pass, across Intl and Domestic passengers in both T1 & T3.
        Just be sure to avoid the aforementioned

2. OT: Anybody waiting for Hilton transactions on avios e store might want to check their accounts. I have had email approvals for 6 of them this morning, all dating back to stays late summer.

3. Michael says:

Tried buying Premium bonds last night via Curve Card and Virgin Atlantic credit card. Will report back whats happens and if they try to block it.

• fivebobbill says:

Please do, very interested in this, am hoping to invest before the end of the month

• I did it last month. Hit spending target for bonus points. No cash advance fees on statement. Thank you curve.

4. Sorry I am new to Head For Points and I can’t see how I can add comment/question to a previous article so sorry for posting here.

Can anybody tell me whether I will get a choice re where my Avios bonus will be credited if I open BA Premium Plus Amex card. BA exec or Amex account?

• Shoestring says:

The points sit in your BAPP Amex a/c until once a month they get swept across to your BAEC a/c – you can’t change this or move the points elsewhere from the Amex a/c

• bsuije says:

Welcome to HfP!

I think comments sections get closed down after a little while, hence why you wouldn’t be able to post comments on most old articles.

Re your question – Shoestring is absolutely right. With co-branded Amex cards, such as BA and SPG, your points get transferred once a month into your Avios / Marriott Bonvoy accounts. If you wanted a card where you have a choice about where your points end up, have a look at the Amex Platinum or Gold cards. With those you earn Amex Membership Reward Points, which can then be transferred into various airlines / hotel programs as and when you choose.

5. TGLoyalty says:

Out of interest I would have thought you would both be ambs if not just for the value you can get out of the 2-4-1 paid stays and the 10% rebates.

• My wife just gets AMB when we need it, which isn’t that often. Last time was 2017 when we were in HK. We don’t do weekend breaks outside the UK because, with the kids in school Fri and Mon, the logistics don’t work any longer unless it is to visit friends. This means we’d only use the AMB voucher if it was part of a longer holiday which is rarely the case.

6. Memesweeper says:

Hilton Amsterdam is another great hotel just outside the centre. Redeemed there to the delight of the family – top floor lounge is really strange (in a good way).

7. SimonW says:

O/T – Any ideas of which lounge at T3 is best to head to before 2pm Miami flight in CW. Cathay better than Qantas?? With my wife and kids.

• Michael says:

They say Cathay First lounge is the best in the whole of Heathrow (I’ve not been in). I have been in the Qantas one however and the gin and cocktail bars are worth popping in for a quick drink.

• Could try both Qantas and Cathay. Assuming you are only getting in through CW ticket then you would only be able to access the Cathay Business lounge rather than their First lounge which has a decent restaurant type service. Qantas only have one lounge which covers first + business so is perhaps a little better than your average Business class lounge.

Both would be better than the BA Club lounge.

• SimonW says:

Thanks chaps

8. alan d craig says:

20 minutes to RAI, your a quick walker sir.

9. Thanks guys. I have Gold Card already. Just looking to find ways to maximise points as I am about to move and will be spending quite a lot over next few weeks. I was originally attracted to BA Premium Plus Amex card for the 2 4 1 voucher but not such a big fan now I know can only be used on BA operated flights.

• Michael says:

Depends what you want to redeem for in the end really. Stick with your Gold MR’s if you want a fluid currency.

• BAPP, on another hand, gives you 1.5 avios/£.

• I am trying to organise a Qatar Business Class redemption so I think I might still go for the BAPP as I will be able to use the additional points I earn towards from spending and the sign up bonus on other partner airlines flights won’t I?

I am just about to move house so there are a lot of things i need to purchase. I think ikt makes sense to get 1.5 rather than 1 avios per £ when I buy the big stuff. I’ll get the 2 4 1 voucher that I probably won’t use after a couple of months and then I’ll cancel.

Thanks again people.

Thanks

• bsuije says:

Yes, you will be able to use the Avios on partner airlines, but that may not always be the best option because partner redemptions are always at “peak” Avios pricing. There is an Avios Redemption University series running at the moment – have a look at that for a quick briefing on all things Avios.

The value of the BA 2-4-1 voucher varies. I think people use it either for one of the longer Europe routes (where taxes are capped) or for a First redemption (high taxes, but get a First experience and the Avios saving is huge). But if you are going to be spending a lot, then you might as well get it. Plus, the Avios will be useful – I don’t think I’ve paid for a single BA flight within Europe in the last 5 years thanks to Avios!

Lastly, as you specifically mention Qatar Airways, just be aware that Qatar runs some pretty decent business class offers from time to time (though admittedly these have dried up recently). The only snag is that these fares are, to a very large extent, for departures from outside the UK, e.g. Scandinavia. If you don’t mind the additional travel and transfer time, then buying a cash ticket, which will earn you Avios and tier points, can be a better deal than using Avios to book a redemption.

10. Gary Morris says:

I stayed at the Intercontinental in Mendoza, Argentina this week – no ambassador status, but Spire Elite. Stayed there on points and got room upgrade and free breakfast for two, which was pretty good.

11. Graeme says:

OT: I’ve got an Amex plat. Do I need to wait for an offer to appear or email to get the bonus points for taking a supplementary card out? Last time I had one, got an email a few days after.

TIA

• fivebobbill says:

No, I’ve never had to wait. Once my card has been registered and I’ve set up/linked to an online account, just go to “Account Management – Add Someone To Your Account”, and add a supplementary. Assuming it’s your first supplementary it’ll come free and you’ll get the card & bonus points within the week

• Added my partner to my account, have been charged £45 but have received the 3,000 miles. I haven’t had any supplementary holders before, should this have been free?

• A £45 charge sounds like its a second supp card on a Gold account. See the ‘important information’ section of the link posted above.

• Great thanks. I’ll query that then as it was definitely the first supp card. Didn’t receive any additional card or miles otherwise!

• Must be your second supp as first is free.

I’d simply cancel it for a pro-rated refund. You’ll keep the bonus points.

Prob not worth the hassle querying it for a couple of quid.

• It says you can get 99 complimentary supplementary cards for the SPG card but does anyone know how much it is per card for more? 😉