BA sale

REGISTER NOW: British Airways launches new ‘double Avios’ promotion for the rest of 2019

British Airways has launched a new ‘double Avios’ offer for the rest of 2019.

This could prove lucrative but, as often with these offers, has the potential to backfire due to intriguing small print.

The sign up page for the offer is here.  You must register to take part.

British Airways double Avios promotion

The offer is simple on the face of it:

You earn double base Avios (excluding cabin and status bonuses) on your next six one-way British Airways flights

After completing your 6th sector, you get an additional bonus of 2019 Avios

The offer runs until the end of 2019 but flights must be booked by 19th April

All routes and all cabins are included

It only applies to new bookings made after you register

Looking at the small print, the offer is also valid on American Airlines, Iberia and Finnair flights when travelling between Europe and North America on a BA flight number.  Don’t be fooled by the comment at the top of the landing page that AA, Iberia and Finnair flights to North Ameria count – the terms and conditions say they do not, unless there is a BA flight number on your boarding pass.

The offer is also valid on Comair-operated BA services in Southern Africa.

However, apart from the exceptions above, no other BA codeshare or franchise flight will count.  You won’t get double Avios on, for example, a Bangkok Airways, Qatar Airways, Vueling or Flybe flight with a BA flight number.

Here’s the snag with ‘double Avios’ though ….

You only get double Avios on your first six segments (ie six one-way flights) after registration.

If you have a number of long-haul flights coming up before the end of the year, you don’t want to use up your six flight allowance too quickly.  This means, bizarrely, you may want to consider moving some short-haul flights away from British Airways or delay registration.  This will preserve your six flight ‘double Avios’ allowance for long-haul flights which will be far more lucrative.

You can register for double Avios here.  You MUST register to receive your bonus.

FA Cup semi-final tickets available for Emirates Skywards miles
The beginners guide to whether you qualify for an American Express sign-up bonus

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. Chris Horsfall says:

These offers always annoy me. I book up flights well in advance, and would need to cancel and rebook to take advantage of this offer. LHR – BWI. would it be worth the cancellation fee for double miles???? Assuming the price is the same.

• +1, but not quite as infuriating as the Marriott starting with your second stay nonsense. Unlessbyou have a fully flexible ticket there is no way avios earned will be worth rebooking for.

• Lady London says:

Yes I was poised to make Marriott my second-string choice I’ve pretty much dumped Accor for Hilton as my first choice now). But 2 promotions now from Marriott where stays don’t start counting till the second one and the overall incentive is not much have given the impression that Marriott is mean so I’ve held back. This means IHG may still get a few reluctant stays where Hilton footprint does not stretch.

Accor could have worked out better but after a few bad experiences with their customer un-service I really really try to avoid them now.

• Well yes, but the whole point of the offer is to motivate you to book some new flights! BA isn’t just throwing avios out for fun!

2. OT Sorry for OT question but no bits today. Daughters boyfriend has requested a refund from Norweigan due to recent cancellation of the Boeing Max flights. He is getting a refund on original booking and 2nd Norweigan flight he made as his flight was cancelled twice. Is this kind of grounding of planes not covered under compensation rules. Norweigan did not offer to re route him – when he called them to rebook again – they told him to book something himself but now won’t compensate for that flight giving an immediate decline so he is £350 out of pocket. Any advice would be appreciated. He did not take out insurance either so suspect he may lose out here. CEDR site does not list Norweigan as one of the airlines.

• He has the right to be re-routed or refunded – does he have any proof that Norwegian told him to book his own alternative flight? I think it would hinge on this as you don’t get anything if you are offered re-routing but then choose to pay for a different flight, however in this case Norwegian presumably said they would reimburse him for the flight they told him to book? I would think he has a case here (as long as Norwegian doesn’t go under in the meantime, and it’s a European registered carrier) but it might take a while to resolve if they dig their heels in.

• Lady London says:

Do a credit card chargeback. He did not receive the item paid for. End of.

• Mikeact says:

Sounds a bit odd to me…no refund? No re routing ? Maybe need more detail as it doesn’t stack up to me, having followed your story for the past few days. Ultimately, and assuming there’s no more to the story, the Small Claims Court would definitely be my fall back position.

• He told me he received an email from Norwegian cancelling his return flight. He went online and rebooked another Norwegian flight and the following day received an email cancelling that flight. He then rang Norweigan and was told to rebook himself so only his word against theirs – assume all the planes being grounded as both flights booked were the Boeing max planes – he was told to try and claim which they have immediately rejected. He’s just a young guy who paid with his debit card – no credit card – and no insurance as money is tight.

• He was told he would receive a refund for the 2 norweigan flights but he will still be out of pocket at the 3rd flight which was more expensive than the original return booking!

• Liz,
          He can still claim money back with his debit card. It’s just a slightly different system. Calls are recorded too.

• Ok Polly thanks for your help. Will see how he goes with CEDR first then tell him about the chargeback on his debit card.

• Mikeact says:

That’s a pretty sad and an expensive lesson to learn , but, going to the US (?) and no insurance? That really is daft in my opinion …..could have been far worse than the cost of getting home.
          Usually , my grown up kids always call me for overseas travel/flight advice and we/they have back up plans in place….just in case.
          It always helps of course, to have a ton of Avios as back up, or in my case, KLM miles as well…….. managed to get my daughter back a few years ago……long story…….from SE Asia where she was touring around.
          However, I wish him well for future travels and I am sure you will have a quiet word with him, and your daughter !

• RIccatti says:

First of all, when speaking to Norwegian he should have taken all the particulars of person who gave him advice to re-book at own cost, name/department, ask that person to issue an email confirmation — as much as possible to support the company’s promise.

These days you have to do it even with BA.

Second, if he really wants any result — should file with Small Claims Court immediately, citing the circumstance that there is a risk of business not being able to meet obligations (eg, bankruptcy) if he follows CEDR arbitration and longer process of complaining.

3. OT: Question about Amex and bills and refunds.

If, let’s say, my bill on my SPG Amex (so it’s a Credit card) is £1k this month. After receiving the bill I’ve had a refund for £500 come through to the card. Can I pay £500 to Amex and not be charged interest? Or do I need to pay the full £1k?

• Give AmEx a call – I’ve always found their customer services provide exemplary services.

• You only need to clear the outstanding balance to avoid interest charges, the refund should count towards this.

• I’ve found Amex always issue an updated bill if any credits are posted between the original bill and the payment due date (though this may not work if you are still on paper statements)

Simplest is to login and check the current balance due

4. I got the sims from a store, bought top up vouchers at same time. Activated the sim by puting in phone and making an unanswered call (20p credit comes on sim), received three welcone texts, called 282 to link clubcard number, received text confirming that was done, called 4444 and topped up using £20 voucher from store, received a text confirming top up and stating points would be added, 9 days later they were in my clubcard account. First time something went wrong, had to call CS to sort out but still got the points. Second time it worked like clockwork. Strongly suggest you avoid their web and app, they are a total PITA.

5. Graham Walsh says:

Typical. Booked 2 x Long Hauls last week for later this year.

• Yes. Pissed off to say the least. Esp with amex churning restrictions, double would be very useful. I have also booked 2 long haul return in CW for 3pax!!! Lots of free avios lost. @Rob, any way around this?

6. Hi Rob – does this offer apply to the first six flights flown that are booked after registering, or the first six flight bookings after registering (regardless of which order those bookings are flown)?

Cheers

7. illuminatus says:

T&Cs say that ‘the number of Avios awarded will be calculated before any cabin and Tier bonuses are applied’. Does it mean that if I book a CW seat, the bonus Avios will be awarded for the WT Avios only? Or how does it work?

• illuminatus says:

Or can I rely on the Avios flight calculator to understand how many bonus Avios I get by looking at the ‘Business lowest’ level on ‘Blue’ tier?

• Basically the bonus is the number of miles you fly (subject to the minimum amounts).

Say your CW flight is 2500 miles, then you would get 2500 base avios and 2500 bonus avios from this promotion. CW booking classes I and R give you a cabin bonus of 50% (1250 avios) and booking classes J, C and D give you a cabin bonus of 150% (3750 avios).

If you are gold you get a tier bonus of 100% (2500 avios) and if you are silver you get a tier bonus of 50% (1250 avios).

So the calculator would say that the CW flight in booking class C as a Blue gives you 6250 avios. But it is not the case that you get 12500 avios from this promo, you’ll only get 8750.

Also it’s a bit different for economy

8. Alex D says:

If you book flight&hotel or flight&car hire booking will the bonus be on the total Avios you’d earn which is higher for holiday bookings or just the Avios for the flight itself?

9. The T&C’s say that a return flight (two sectors) counts as one ‘Qualifying flight’ so could do 6 return trips and get double avios on all 12 sectors.

10. OT: Is there any card i can use to pay on the tax free childcare site; so I can earn points. Curve does not work.

11. Nordic Moose says:

Anyone know what the secret bonus is for flying six sectors?