Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

REGISTER NOW: British Airways launches new ‘double Avios’ points promotion for the rest of 2019

British Airways has launched a new ‘double Avios’ offer for the rest of 2019.

This could prove lucrative but, as often with these offers, has the potential to backfire due to intriguing small print.

The sign up page for the offer is here.  You must register to take part.

British Airways double Avios promotion

The offer is simple on the face of it:

You earn double base Avios (excluding cabin and status bonuses) on your next six one-way British Airways flights

After completing your 6th sector, you get an additional bonus of 2019 Avios

The offer runs until the end of 2019 but flights must be booked by 19th April

All routes and all cabins are included

It only applies to new bookings made after you register

Looking at the small print, the offer is also valid on American Airlines, Iberia and Finnair flights when travelling between Europe and North America on a BA flight number.  Don’t be fooled by the comment at the top of the landing page that AA, Iberia and Finnair flights to North Ameria count – the terms and conditions say they do not, unless there is a BA flight number on your boarding pass.

The offer is also valid on Comair-operated BA services in Southern Africa.

However, apart from the exceptions above, no other BA codeshare or franchise flight will count.  You won’t get double Avios on, for example, a Bangkok Airways, Qatar Airways, Vueling or Flybe flight with a BA flight number.

Here’s the snag with ‘double Avios’ though ….

You only get double Avios on your first six segments (ie six one-way flights) after registration.

If you have a number of long-haul flights coming up before the end of the year, you don’t want to use up your six flight allowance too quickly.  This means, bizarrely, you may want to consider moving some short-haul flights away from British Airways or delay registration.  This will preserve your six flight ‘double Avios’ allowance for long-haul flights which will be far more lucrative.

You can register for double Avios here.  You MUST register to receive your bonus.

Comments (81)

• GoldFlyer says:

Having read the T&C on the BA website, there is a further important fact which might have been overlooked. You have to “Book your flights between 21 March and 19 April 2019”!

• David says:

That does indeed change the dynamic – thanks for pointing that out!

• Mark says:

Yes – Rob, it really needs to be in the article that the flights have to be booked by the 19th of April. While I will easily take 6 BA flights in the remainder of the year, I only know with certainty when 2 of them will be at this point.

• Graham says:

Seems that if you have some long haul and some short haul flights coming up, you should ONLY book the long haul before 19th/20th April . Is my logic correct?

• Graham says:

……… or book your short haul before registering ?

• Alex W says:

Alternatively don’t attach your BAEC number to the flights you don’t want to credit to BAEC. Credit them to another scheme e.g. Alaska, Iberia, Aer Lingus etc.

• BJ says:

Regionals screwed as usual. 2019 seems paltry but better than nothing.

• Lady London says:

I’m not bothering. I can save too much money on cash fares by booking elsewhere and those other fares retain some flexibility.

If I could fix my longhaul dates this would be worth planning to achieve but my work does not allow this.

I’ll follow Rob’s hint and sign up anyway just in case things change in a miraculous way though.

• BJ says:

Always worth calling up airline reservations if flexibility is important. Sometimes much improved fare rules can be obtained for under £100 extra.

• riku2 says:

when we have this kind of promotion for non UK members I often book my short haul connecting flights helsinki-london with an AY flight number even if using a BA ticket. The price is the same but means that only the long haul flights count towards the bonus avios.

• BJ says:

OT Tesco rocket sims: Based on two Sims activated on two different days it looks like the 2k bonus points are posting 9 days after activation.

• BJ says:

or more correctly should I say adding the £20 top up voucher (both activation and top up were on same day for me)

• Peter 64K says:

Two sims on the same clubcard account?

• TheSkintTraveller says:

That’s the burning question, no one has confirmed two Sims, one clubcard account yet.

• Grant says:

I seem to recall BJ confirming elsewhere that they used two different clubcard numbers linked to the one account. I could be wrong though so would be grateful for clarification.

• Mikeact says:

I can confirm that my 4k has posted, two Rockets, one Clubcard account.

• BJ says:

Yes, two different numbers attached to same clubcard account for me.

@Mikeact, now for the holy grail, was yours also two different numbers or 2x2k on the same number? If the latter then it looks like we could get 4k per clubcard number with X numbers per clubcard. Would not bet on it though because despite refering to numbers in the terms I am sure they meant accounts.

• Mikeact says:

2 Sim Rocket packs, with obviously 2 mobile numbers and to reiterate, again, they were purchased in my local Tesco Extra with my Amex credit card, one payment, against the one Clubcard handed over at the same time.

• Neil says:

Thanks BJ – Did you top up by £20?

• BJ says:

@Neil, I replied but it has appeared as new comment further down the page.

• Neil says:

Cheers BJ – Might be time to crack out the 2 sim cards I got last week due to falling on harsh times thanks to Amex! Ha

• Alan says:

Need to highlight closing date of 19th April, too – and of course those not flying directly form London receive worse treatment as ever with them only able to get credit for two long haul flights as the other 4 will be used up on short haul connections to/from London…

• Andrew says:

That’s not exactly true. I’ve got an EDI to PHL planned, which if I understand the terms correctly and book it with a BA flight number, should mean 2 long haul legs on AA metal will qualify.

• Alan says:

Sure for direct flights, but sadly not many of them about so most still having to route via LHR.

• Tracey says:

About time BA allowed sign up for these sort of offers on its app!

• N says:

Devaluation incoming?

• Chuck says:

Just after I have booked Nashville, Moscow and Prague trips … non flex so no chance of cancelling … 😔