BA sale

British Airways to launch new Gatwick to Milan Bergamo service and increases Cancun

British Airways announced a new route to Italy on Thursday – Gatwick to Milan Bergamo.

Flights start on 1st September and will operate six days per week.

Whilst 45km from Milan itself, which makes it an odd choice if that is your destination, Bergamo is very well placed for Lake Como and is also within driving distance of Lake Garda.  It will also open up access to a number of ski resorts in the Alps.

Tickets are available, for cash and Avios, on ba.com.

British Airways Negus livery

And additional flights to Cancun ….

British Airways added a PS. to its press release on Bergamo to say that Cancun will move to five flights per week this Winter.

Unhelpfully, BA didn’t tell us how many flights it was previously operating or which days will see the additional flights!  If you fancy a Cancun break, however, it is worth taking a look at ba.com as the usual two Club World and four World Traveller seats per flight should be freely available on the new service, whichever one it is …..

British Airways reveals its 'Negus' Boeing 747 retro livery
ENDING SOON: The British Airways Luxury Flights and Holidays sale

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. OT: I’ve realised I need to buy Hilton Points – does anybody know roughly how often their 100% bonus comes around? I think I’ve just missed one…

2. For the BA offer…is a return deemed to be 2 flights.

Also if I book a flight for myself and one for my child who is on the household account, is it deemed to be 2 flights towards the household’s 6 flights ?

3. Aleks Nicole says:

O/T but way back in Nov 16 HFP ran a piece explaining the ‘best Virgin Atlantic redemption’ at the time (Hong Kong). Now that tax surcharges have been added to these flights therefore making them not nearly as beneficial, what any idea what the best redemption is currently?

• Freddy says:

With the exodus from amex this certainly would be of interest

• Best redemption is where you want to go at the time you want to go. Somebody commented a few days ago that BA are still not applying surcharges to exUK flights; are Virgin already doing so?

• I’d still say ANA F using VS miles for 120k + £400 return is pretty damned good.

4. illuminatus says:

I have had my Iberia Plus account for over 90 days.

Am I correct that I need to transfer some points from Amex first to be able to combine Avios with BA Executive Club?

• Shoestring says:

• Peter 64K says:

You need at least one point of activity to combine avios with BA, yes. Amex is one option. The Iberia PluStore is another.

• illuminatus says:

Thanks. Are there any restrictions on moving in terms of how often it can be done?

• Shoestring says:

but he’s got something to combine already

• illuminatus says:

My Iberia account is 0, ie I want to move Avios from BA to Iberia

• illuminatus says:

Do I need to open an iTunes Espana account for that? Or clicking through Iberia PluStore is enough?

Is is quicker than transferring from Amex, which says ‘4 days’?

5. OT – HH visa (not very topical this weekend, I know!) As I won’t be relying on Platinum Amex for my gold status in future, I’ll be looking to the visa to retain it. I think the spend is £10k per year to retain gold but is this card year or calendar year? Or rolling 12 month period?

• Of course I’ve found it now – calendar year, £10k spend gets you old status for the rest of the year plus the following year. I’ll probably manage 24 months without the Platinum as we only refer each other and get travel insurance through work.

• KBuffett says:

If you do Diamond status match, are you sure spending £10k a year allows you to retain this status?

Also, is Revolut still working with a Hilton?

• TGLoyalty says:

It allows you to retain gold not diamond.

Only hitting the actual requirements will help you retain diamond after it lapses as status matches are normally a one time thing.

• @TGL, always worth trying a second status match if required, one came good for me.

• I think that refers only to retaining gold but I’d be very happy to be proved wrong.

6. A bit OT – is there a reason why BA doesn’t fly to Cuba???

7. Charlieface says:

Well done Rob for the page count.
    I’m going to say it here because it’ll get drowned out elsewhere:
    At the end of the day Amex giveth and Amex taketh. In the same way as insurance, banks, utilities, just about everything in the UK, businesses rely on customer apathy, thereby offering huge signup bonuses and discounts. Amex clearly had a more savvy base who took advantage, so they changed the rules. End of story, move on.
    Hopefully further opportunities for points arbitrage will present themselves in due course as they often have done. Don’t cry over spilt milk, be happy you got into the action in time.
    Rob I would appreciate your always excellent insight on this.