Bits: BA launches Gatwick to Bergamo and increases Cancun, BA promo clarification, the final BA retro livery, 97993

News in brief:

British Airways to launch new Gatwick to Milan Bergamo service

British Airways announced a new route to Italy on Thursday – Gatwick to Milan Bergamo.

Flights start on 1st September and will operate six days per week.

Whilst 45km from Milan itself, which makes it an odd choice if that is your destination, Bergamo is very well placed for Lake Como and is also within driving distance of Lake Garda.  It will also open up access to a number of ski resorts in the Alps.

Tickets are available, for cash and Avios, on ba.com.

And additional flights to Cancun ….

British Airways added a PS. to its press release on Bergamo to say that Cancun will move to five flights per week this Winter.

Unhelpfully, BA didn’t tell us how many flights it was previously operating or which days will see the additional flights!  If you fancy a Cancun break, however, it is worth taking a look at ba.com as the usual two Club World and four World Traveller seats per flight should be freely available on the new service, whichever one it is …..

British Airways Negus livery

Quick clarification on the new BA promotion

I ran an article yesterday on the new British Airways double Avios promotion.

I wrote this very late at night and managed to miss out a key point.  Whilst you have until the end of the year to earn double Avios on your BA flights, all flights must be booked by 19th April.

Given that existing bookings made before 21st March don’t count either, I think the impact of this deal will be limited.

As Good Friday is 19th April, I think we can expect the usual BA Easter sale to start around 20th April.  Squeezing in a last minute booking to take advantage of double Avios may not necessarily be the best deal.

British Airways Negus livery

British Airways reveals its ‘Negus’ Boeing 747 retro livery

The final British Airways aircraft to receive a retro livery as part of the ‘BA 100’ celebrations has been unveiled.

A Boeing 747 has been painted in the ‘Negus’ design which was originally used from 1974 to 1980.  This was the first livery used by the newly formed British Airways following the merger of BOAC and BEA and represented the first time since 1938 that an aircraft had carried the ‘British Airways’ name.

British Airways Negus livery

The red tail fin was a riff on the red BEA logo which you can see on another of the retro liveries now in use.  The white and blue fuselage, on the other hand, harks back to the BOAC livery.  Negus was an attempt to keep passengers of both airlines happy.

The aircraft will retain this livery until it is retired in 2022.

I was hoping to see it on Thursday from the Malaysia Airlines lounge in Terminal 4, where I spent the morning, but it was a little late arriving.  I DID get to see the BOAC repainted Boeing 747 in the flesh, which does look impressive.

97993 ….

Finally, for anyone wondering how many page views we generated on Thursday with our coverage of the American Express sign-up bonus changes, the answer is 97,993.  This is a new one-day record, which I don’t want to beat for some time because it will probably mean something else bad has happened!  We also broke 1,000 comments on one article for the first time.

Should you leave American Express for 24 months until you can get a new sign-up bonus?
ENDING SOON: The British Airways Luxury Flights and Holidays sale

Comments

1. Richard M says:

Bergamo is useful for the lskes, as you say though this comes too late for the 2019 summer season, which will see Linate closed for 4 months for runway repairs.

Of interest for Avios collectors is that Betgamo stands on the boundary between two Avios zones: will this route be 9000 Avios return, like the other Milan airports, or 15000 like Verona?

2. Neil Donoghue says:

97993 & 1,000 comments! It’s a shame it wasn’t for more positive reasons but great work Rob. The site ran very smoothly as well considering how quickly the comments were being printed.

3. Got to see the BOAC 747 on Sunday at LAX after I landed on a BA 787-9 from LHR, looks really nice indeed!

4. O/T I have two offers to earn extra points on next three stays with Marriott Bonvoy. Anyone knows if this is stackable? One is for 9k extra and the other for 30k extra on the next three stays. Could I earn 39k for the next three stays?

• Yes, will stack.

• Hey meta, can I ask how you are being sent/how you saw the Marriott promotions?
      Titanium elite but have got nothing the last few months apart from the boring “double points” offer.
      (Maybe my status is why I am being sent nothing)?

• I am getting them via email. Maybe check the marketing preferences. I am only Gold Elite. However, my partner (also Gold Elite) does not get any offers despite getting marketing emails.

• Where do you find offers like this please? Are they emailled directly to you?

I’m new to Marriot points but have decided to go big with them, as i have spent £2,200 on an all-inclusive room and car deal in Mauritius from Marriott Vacations (which looked identical to Expedia although it came direct from Marriott website)

I got the Amex SPG card (4 days before the sudden no welcome bonus rule) and put all the spend through on that to get the welcome bonus (33k plus the normal spend points). I’ve activated the double points promotion and booked a Heathrow Moxy room for £45 to make my £2,200 stay the one that attracts the bonus (however i think it may not be valid, as it’s a package deal…???).

Where else could i find some easy bonus points to bolster my Marriot points tally please?

• I’m afraid this is targeted. I got an offer beginning of February for 9k points emailed directly. I then logged in into my account and the button to register was there. Last night I got an offer of an extra 30k for three stays. I think this last one was targeted for those who linked SPG and Emirates accounts some years ago as the email had Emirates logo. So under promotions on my Marriott account I now have a tracker for three promotions – the public one for double points after 2nd stay and two targeted. I had two stays booked in the next two months, so they might wanted to lure me for a third stay or it is totally unrelated. It worked as I moved one IHG stay to Marriott.

5. Annabelle says:

Is it worth keeping gold reward card longer though? Some readers report they are emailed with platinum upgrade offer – is this usually a after the first anniversary?

• Upgrade offer is now dead unless you have the old Gold Charge. Cannot go Gold Credit to Plat Charge.

• Shoestring says:

my email upgrade to Plat invite was about 4 months into Year 2

6. Nathan says:

IMHO the Negus livery still looks fresh. A testament to good graphic design or, perhaps, my limited taste/knowledge of the area! I did see the BEA livery tootle past the T5 Plaza Premium lounge yesterday, which was a pleasant surprise, and that looked properly retro.

7. The Original Nick says:

OT, can anyone advise on the booking of a Hertz vehicle via the AUS website?
    I understand that I can do it but I’m Presidential Circle so is it possible via my Hertz account to also get the benefits?

• You’ll need to book on the Aus site when logged out.
      There is a guide on FT about Adding a Hertz Reservation to a Hertz #1 account.

• Charlieface says:

Not true. You first login on .co.uk then go to the top and change country.

8. Transport from Bergamo Airport to Milan downtown takes the same time and less money compared to Malpensa Airport

• Lady London says:

IIRC Other public transport is pour though. Although l havent been there for a while.

• Bergamo has regional trains going all over the place, get there from the airport by taxi or by frequent public bus…buy tickets from the newsagents in the airport. You could do worse than spending a couple of days in Bergamo. The citta Alta is very pretty

• RussellH says:

Not true. Orio al Serio is at the end of one of Bergamo’s city bus routes, so you just get an ordinary bus at an ordinary fare direct to the rail station, from where you can get to anywhere in Italy easily. Perfect fo rplaces that you might well want to go to, but cannot fly direct. Fiend of mine used it just last week to get to Bologna from Manchester. Cheaper than a direct flight in her case.

And Bergamo is well worth a visit in its own right anyway. Interesting town – the older, upper town on top of a large rock is connected to the older, new town by a funicular. I would probably prefer it to Milano, TBH.

• RussellH says:

Forget the second “older”! Sorry.

• Lady London says:

Yes i do recall that bus but IIRC unless you are willing to pay for a taxi IT dix not to Get me to Saturday night flight nor Sunday. Perhaps that has improved since. I do recall there is quite a good shopping centre right opposite and there is a walkway that gets you there on foot from thé airport.

9. Scallder says:

Article in the Times today about a review by Which? of airport lounges. Focussed on paid for – best were 1903 at Manchester, The House at Heathrow T4 and No 1 in Heathrow T3 all which got 4 stars. None for 5 stars and general overview was that often people are better off just spending their money in the terminal.

Best bit though was that they reviewed 2 BA lounges and the Galleries Club Lounge at T3 was given 3 stars as the food was described as “canteen fare”. Defintely hit the nail on the head!

• Lady London says:

Surprises thé good in thé British Airways louanges at Heathrow even got three stars at all. Most days i’d give it 2 at very best or more likely, 1.5

• Catalan says:

Was Virgin’s Heathrow T3 Clubhouse lounge featured at all?

• I visited the 1903 in Manchester last year on the advice of Rob – great advice as usual, really enjoyed my time there. Thought in particular that the staff were fab.
      Re the Aspire Lounge at Edinburgh Airport, sadly the report seems to have it spot-on. No.1 Lounge at Edinburgh by far the better choice.

• Although I like the new No 1 (and it finally has its own loos!) I still find the food selection to be decent in the Aspire. Plus right next to the BA lounge so you can pop in and get 50 Aspire Rewards points, grab some hot food and then head to BA and wait for boarding announcement!

10. TrollBasher says:

Why the total lack of love for LGW regarding heritage liveries?

With the exception of the F Lounge, everything seems second hand or an afterthought to BA over there.

Share the love !

• Nick_C says:

A Dan Air and BCal would be nice to see at LGW. (Actually it would be nice if the airlines themselves were still around. Capitalism only works where there is competition).

• The DC10s spent time in Landor.

I appreciate why they wouldn’t want to dig up their takeover past.

However, a beach fleet B777 in Landor wouldn’t be too much of an ask, surely..?

Rob, has any comment been made about LGW?

11. OT – I’m 300 points short for a redemption on Hertz car rental. Anyone know how I can earn the extra 300 points without renting a car? I’ve combined my account with the OH so not sure of any other options.

• The only way to earn is on Hertz

• Yeah, they used to have a feedback hub that earned points but they closed that (for UK at least)

• Lady London says:

Click on thé offers tab(s). They have local offers and global offers to click for. Also check offers on other country H’s especially US and Germany. Remember cost of a day car Hire using the credits varies by Continent. Usually cheapest are weekends.

12. OT: I’ve realised I need to buy Hilton Points – does anybody know roughly how often their 100% bonus comes around? I think I’ve just missed one…

13. For the BA offer…is a return deemed to be 2 flights.

Also if I book a flight for myself and one for my child who is on the household account, is it deemed to be 2 flights towards the household’s 6 flights ?

14. Aleks Nicole says:

O/T but way back in Nov 16 HFP ran a piece explaining the ‘best Virgin Atlantic redemption’ at the time (Hong Kong). Now that tax surcharges have been added to these flights therefore making them not nearly as beneficial, what any idea what the best redemption is currently?

• Freddy says:

With the exodus from amex this certainly would be of interest

• Best redemption is where you want to go at the time you want to go. Somebody commented a few days ago that BA are still not applying surcharges to exUK flights; are Virgin already doing so?

• I’d still say ANA F using VS miles for 120k + £400 return is pretty damned good.

15. illuminatus says:

I have had my Iberia Plus account for over 90 days.

Am I correct that I need to transfer some points from Amex first to be able to combine Avios with BA Executive Club?

• Shoestring says:

• Peter 64K says:

You need at least one point of activity to combine avios with BA, yes. Amex is one option. The Iberia PluStore is another.

• illuminatus says:

Thanks. Are there any restrictions on moving in terms of how often it can be done?

• Shoestring says:

but he’s got something to combine already

• illuminatus says:

My Iberia account is 0, ie I want to move Avios from BA to Iberia

• illuminatus says:

Do I need to open an iTunes Espana account for that? Or clicking through Iberia PluStore is enough?

Is is quicker than transferring from Amex, which says ‘4 days’?