WARNING: all avios.com accounts linked to Flybe will be closed on 30th April

Judging by my inbox, many Head for Points readers are not aware that they are at risk of losing a large chunk of Avios overnight on 30th April.

Most of you will know that Avios and Flybe are ending their partnership on 30th April.  Details are on the Flybe website here.

This is not a major surprise given that Flybe has been taken over by a consortium led by Virgin Atlantic.  It is likely that we see Flybe joining Virgin Flying Club shortly, although I don’t have any inside information.

Where you may get an unpleasant surprise is that avios.com is NOT following the same migration process that it used when the Avios Travel Rewards Programme was closed.  In that scenario, your avios.com balance was transferred to your British Airways Executive Club account, and if you didn’t have one then one was opened for you.

This is not the case here.

If you have an avios.com account which is linked to Flybe, it will be closed on 30th April and all Avios lost.

Full details are on avios.com here.

Avios accounts linked to Flybe are closing

Is my avios.com account ‘linked to Flybe’?

If you can still access your avios.com account, it means that it is either:

linked to Flybe, in which case you are at risk

linked to Vueling Club, in which case you don’t need to do anything

linked to Aer Lingus AerClub, in which case you don’t need to do anything

How do I find out which scheme my avios.com account is linked to?

Log in and click on ‘Your Account’.  Underneath the new set of menu options, you will see an airline logo.  It will either be Aer Lingus, Vueling or Flybe.

If you see this:

…. with the Flybe logo at the bottom, you are in trouble.  You need to empty your avios.com account via a ‘Combine My Avios’ transfer to British Airways Executive Club before 30th April.

One thing to note ….

If you have pending Avios coming into your avios.com account, they will NOT be transferred to your British Airways account.

The Q&A page says that you need to ring avios.com in a few months time, after you expect the missing Avios to have arrived, and they can look into your old account.  If the Avios did arrive, the call centre can transfer them to British Airways.  You will not be able to do any of this online.

This all seems unnecessarily complicated, to be honest.  It is possible that there are contractual reasons why Avios is not allowed to automatically move your points into a British Airways account.  On the face of it this looks like a cash grab by Avios given that Flybe will have paid them for the points you are about to lose.

30%-40% bonus when you buy Virgin miles or use 'Miles Booster' - good deal?
Heathrow now has genuinely super-fast (and free) wi-fi!

IHG

Comments

1. David says:

My account does say it’s linked to Aer Club, but given the “success” (or not) of the migration to BAEC last time, I’m manually moving all my avios across to BAEC just in case…

2. Lady London says:

Phone them and do it quickly in case thé Nice staff disappear. Phone support on avios.com was historically really good.

• Julian says:

It does seem daft they didn’t move the upgrade vouchers to the BA Exec Club and let us book online there.

Surely the cost savings in staff on the customer booking line at avios.com would have been much more than the IT developer bill to add the voucher upgrading facility on to the BA Exec Club website?

• Tracy Regan says:

Everyone I’ve spoken to has been really nice but unfortunately I am still missing 35,000 Avios and can’t access my Avios or Aerlingus account. I’ll try again next week. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

3. OT-ish: Booked one way flights from Buenos Aires to London via Avios call centre using a Lloyds upgrade voucher. The taxes and surcharges on their system priced in dollars and were £50 per person more expensive than the identical dummy booking via BA website. Agent agreed it was odd but said we should sort it out after securing the booking. We’ve heard nothing since. Anyone had this problem before?

• Phatbear says:

They surcharge if you were able to do the booking yourself online.

I had this when i booked two one way flights to bangkok using an upgrade voucher i only noticed the surcharge the next day so i phoned them and they gave me the money back!

4. Anyone know what happens to Flybe flights air miles if you have already paid for flights departing in August/ sept?

• Your flight is fine BUT you cannot make any changes to it after 30 April. Your only options are to fly it or to cancel it entirely.

5. Dave Pearson says:

Not sure if this is covered elsewhere, but on the Iberiaplus site, it will no longer allow me to move Avios between my iberiaplus and BA Executive Club accounts. It will only allow one way transfers between BA and Iberia. The text from the Iberiaplus website says the following when I try and complete this request:

Which way do you want to move Avios?
    You can only move Avios from British Airways to Iberia Plus – you cannot move your Avios back again.

The only option that I can click on is: British Airways to Avios. There is no option available to move points the other way. I have 3,000 in Iberiaplus and 240,000 in BA EC. The box to enter the volume of points I wish to transfer is underneath the above message, so it doesn’t look like this ‘block’ is in relation to the volume of points to be selected (as I hadn’t even decided at that stage).

Any help or comments really appreciated….

• Dave Pearson says:

Sorry, a minor mistake – I should have stated “The only option that I can click on is: British Airways to Iberiaplus.

• Grant says:

Use a Vuelling or AerClub account as an intermediary. IB > Vuelling / AerClub > BAEC.

• Look at my article on Flybe Avios ending (last Saturday) and follow the instructions on opening an Aer Lingus account.