Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

A good new BA Amex ‘bonus Avios’ promotion which requires registration

If you have a British Airways American Express card, an interesting new promotion could be waiting for you.

Many, but definitely not all, cardholders seem to have it.  My wife and I do not.

You need to go to the American Express website here, log in, go to your BA Amex statement page and scroll down to ‘Offers’.

You may see a variant of this:

Spend £500 & get 500 Avios – up to three times
Save to Card to get 500 Avios on a transaction of £500+ at participating Avios travel partners like BA, Marriott and Avis by 15th July 2019. You can redeem this offer up to three times.

There are also variants offering 1,500 Avios for £1,500 spend and 3,000 Avios for £3,000 spend.

British Airways American Express special offer

These are the partners who count – note the currency restrictions:

British Airways – £ only

Avis UK (click here for participating locations) – £ only

BA Holidays – £ only

Heathrow Express – £ only

Selected Marriott hotels in Europe (click here for the list) –  spend can be in £, €, SEK or CHF

The small print – despite the wording saying “a transaction [singular] of £500+” – confirms that it is based on combined spend, so you can mix and match partners to hit the target.

Beware these two catches

Whilst the offer mentions 15th July as the closing date on a number of occasions, this is NOT true.  The small print makes it clear that only charges made to your card by 30th June will count.  15th July is the cut-off date for transactions made by 30th June to hit your card statement.

Be wary with the Marriott offer.  There is a 3% foreign exchange fee on your British Airways American Express card.  It MIGHT make sense to use your BA Amex outside the UK when you factor in the value of the base Avios and the bonus, especially if only part of your qualifying spend is in foreign currency, but it also might not.  Anyone with a different credit card with 0% FX fees may want to use that instead and forget about the bonus.

My view is that this is NOT a bonus so generous that you should chase it.  However, 30th June is a long way away.  REGISTER NOW and then, if your combined spend across these partners hits the £500 / £1500 / £3000 target, you’re sorted.

You need to register by logging in to the Amex website here or via the Amex app.

Further credit card information

Here is the legally required interest rate information on the credit cards mentioned above, together with links to our reviews:

British Airways American Express – sign-up bonus of 5,000 Avios for spending £1,000 in three months – apply hereour BA Amex review – representative APR 22.9% variable

British Airways American Express Premium Plus – sign-up bonus of 25,000 Avios for spending £3,000 in three months – apply hereour BA Premium Plus Amex review – representative APR 76.0% variable including £195 fee based on a notional £1200 credit limit, interest rate on purchases 22.9% variable

Comments (46)

• Craig says:

I have it on my wife’s card but not mine. Unfortunately, I have only just started working towards a 241 whilst she has 18p to go for hers.

• Dan says:

Not a bad offer I guess – but I value 500 Avios at around £5, so let’s get this in proportion…..a £15 rebate (in Avios currency) on £1500 spend. I agree with rob that it’s worth saving but definitely not worth chasing!

• John says:

Put £1500 in the bank and you’ll get £15 after a year

• Thomas Howard says:

but in 2020 your £1515 will only be worth £1487.73 in 2019 pounds,

• Lady London says:

Where’s the excitement in that? I’d rather earn half as much via a “gaming” method if it didn’t turn out as well as I’d hoped. the £15 lost is my “gaming” fee.

Convert it into another currency right now and the value of it might increase by rather more particularly in the next 6 months or so.

• CV3V says:

Agreed, nothing worth changing plans for to get this bonus, if this within peoples plans then a bonus it is. My offer was spend £3000 for 3000 Avios, chasing the equivalent of £30 of Avios isn’t worth it. Annoying as I just booked redemption flights, but I didn’t get the £500 offer, but for 500 Avios who really cares.

Spend £20 on a Tesco Mobile rocket pack and get 4800 Avios.

• Tracy says:

I have the £1500, 1500 Avios variant. Thought I would be able to get it as I will be booking 241s in July but if cut off is 30th June I am out of luck 🙁

• Anna says:

Book the flights early then ring up and change the dates later? Depends how much you want an extra 1500 avios!

• Pid says:

My Amex offers have been rubbish for the last year or so. Very rarely get any in my plat or BAPP. Spoken to Amex and they just say it is based on spend patterns but spend has not changed and I used to get loads.

• Dev says:

They even told me that I don’t receive offers because I have opted out of marketing emails and offers, which I did more than 10 years ago and that doesn’t explain why I had the offers until the first half of 2018. As for the Amex Travel booking rebates, they told me that it depends on spend, the more I spend the greater the chance of receiving the offer. When I pointed out that my spend through Amex Travel last year was in excess of £10,000 the response was that the offer is targeted to select Amex Platinum customers. 😄

• KBuffett says:

My offers are very poor too. I genuinely thinks it’s because I spend too much. Why give an offer to someone who’s going to spend anyway?

• ADS says:

yeah, i do wonder if that’s the problem !

i hardly ever use my BA Amex and i get loads of offers !!

• Lyn says:

The rules for opting out of marketing emails and offers have changed in the last 10 years though, especially a year or two ago with the new EU laws. It could be worth deliberately opting back in,

• Pid says:

They said the same to me about marketing but I have always opted in!

• Jovanna says:

I have a Plat card. I’ve had one offer on it in 10 months. I also have two Gold cards (one is a supplemental card) and the BA card. I don’t do too badly for offers on those.

I’m still waiting for my £200 off £600 spend on the Plat card from the end of February. When I contacted Amex, they said I had to wait up to 90 days.

• Mr Dee says:

O/T Morrisons offer of 10% off over £50 spend unlimited use is back on some cards

• RussellH says:

Last December it was off all spending at Morrisons. Definitely one of the useful offers, like Lidl, Wilkinsons and WH Smith.
      Unlike most of them which seem to be aimed at those who buy ridiculously overpriced clothing. And it is stll ridiculously overpriced after the Amex offer!
      I have the 500 Avios for £500 spend offer, and I have a Marriott stay in the next few days. But as that is likely to come to 15% of the necessary spend at most I shall stick to using my Marriott MasterCard and – hopefully – get double points on that spend.

• Cwyfan says:

Anybody worked out how this actually works?

With a number of partners, and multiple spends, what triggers each 500 avios each time, up to thrice?

For example, if I spend £240 with one partner, and £290 with another, making more that £500 combined, so getting 500 avios, I assume, does the £30 excess count towards the next £500, or is it lost?

• Vinz says:

I spent 500+ 3 days before the offer appeared. So annoying, will call amex to see what they can do!