Bits: good news on BA and Heathrow strikes, Norwegian closing Irish routes, £10 via Amex for £30 supermarket spend

News in brief:

British Airways and Heathrow strike updates

There is some good news for anyone concerned about disruption from the threatened British Airways pilot strike and the Heathrow Airport employees strike.

As we reported over the weekend, British Airways mysteriously found some extra money when BALPA terminated ACAS talks on Thursday and started to type out the letter to order strikes.  Following new talks at ACAS on Friday and Monday, BALPA wrote to members yesterday to say that:

BA have put forward their final position which will now be considered …. and detailed communications will follow after.

This means that there will be no strike action until at least early September, and possibly much later if a proposed deal is put out to ballot.

Meanwhile, the strike by Heathrow Airport staff due for 23rd and 24th August has been postponed.  UNITE has not made a statement yet but it is on the Heathrow website.  A new offer has been sent to union members and the result will be known on 2nd September.

Norwegian closing routes out of Ireland

Norwegian to close all of its routes out of Ireland

Norwegian is pruning routes quite heavily as part of its ‘from growth to profitability’ initiative.

In simple terms, this means getting rid of routes where it is losing money.  Gatwick to Las Vegas was given the chop recently, for example, as we covered here.

The airline has just announced that all of its long-haul Irish routes are closing.  These are:

• Dublin to Hamilton, Newburgh and Providence
  • Cork to Providence
  • Shannon to Newburgh and Providence

The last flights will take place on 15th September.

To be fair to Norwegian, this is a decision partly forced on them by the grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX.  It was used to fly these routes which meant that Norwegian had already temporarily suspended or sourced alternative aircraft for them.

If the Norwegian story does not end well, people will be debating for years whether it was actually the fault of Boeing.  Norwegian planned to offer low cost long haul flights by investing in ultra fuel efficient new aircraft which would let it undercut its rivals.  Unfortunately, it chose two complete dogs – the Boeing 787 (Rolls-Royce engine variant) and Boeing 737 MAX – which has left large parts of its fleet unable to fly.

£10 cashback on £30 supermarket spend American Express

Get £10 or 1000 Avios for an easy £30 supermarket spend

American Express has launched one of its easiest ever conditional spend offers.

If you are targetted, you will receive £10 or 1000 Avios, depending on your card, when you spend £30 in participating supermarkets.

The chains included are:

• Aldi
  • Asda
  • Co-Op
  • Iceland
  • Lidl
  • M&S
  • Morrisons
  • Sainsburys
  • Tesco
  • Waitrose

You need to save the offer to your card from your online ‘Offers’ page (remember to check for every card you hold) and spend the £30 by 13th September.

Online and instore purchases will count.  The offer is limited to the first 35,000 people to click ‘save’.

Don’t be too surprised if you don’t see it.  We only have it on one card – my wife’s Preferred Rewards Gold – across our household.

PS.  There is also a ‘£5 back on £20 Deliveroo’ spend offer just launched which may also be of interest

What can your business do with Amex Membership Rewards points?
REGISTER NOW (dead?): Get 7,500 Hilton Honors points across your next two stays

IHG Sale

Comments

1. memesweeper says:

Starling has announced it’s ending debit card top ups from mid-next month. Any known alternatives with a similar outcome?

2. OT Anyone receiving emails about points transfers from their Marriott accounts? Very odd nothing shows in my account. Not sure if its a glitch?

• we had them strange?

• I think that they relate to very old transactions.

• yeah it was an alert for transfers I made 6 months ago! freaked me out for a second.

• Sadly seems to be about transfers from about a year ago! Disappointed, was hoping it was some free points!

• C F Frost says:

My surprise points email is particularly weird. Must have been from years ago. The history page doesn’t go back far enough. They’ve also mashed up my wife and I into a new identity. So it’s an email to me telling me that someone with my first name and my wife’s surname has shared 72,000 points with me. Very odd.

• guesswho2000 says:

I got one overnight (AEST) about a transfer between my and my OH’s account from several months ago. Was secretly hoping they’d doubled it, no such luck.

My Marriott Balance make for sorry reading, churning the SPG card, and 30% buy Starpoints bonuses kept me flush for a few years, now I’m kind of stuck!

3. Between me and my wife, we have 6 cards, Platinum, Gold Charge, Gold Credit card, Gold Supp, Platinum supp, and Green supp, no offer on any of them for the past 3 months! And there is plenty of spend on all cards, I had £5k spend last month on the gold card only, and I’ve tried removing and adding the card again on the same account and a new online account, and have tried replacing the card, none of which made any difference!

I talked to Amex and they say its normal!!

Any Ideas what to do? or how to resolve this? any idea will be appreciated!

• It’s not normal. I suggest one of you call to cancel all your cards except one. It will either get a result or not. If not then go ahead and cancel them, you can always take advantage of referral bonuses. Repeat for OH when appropriate.

• I’ve had this for a while too, used to get lots of offers on my BAPP as did the supplementary card holder, now we have none. Same with my SPG….thinking they don’t really want me as a card holder, which I am happy to oblige with as soon as last months points have transferred. Going from 8 cards (I know it’s too many but included supps) to zero in a matter of months. Even cancelling the BAPP which I have held continuously for 3 years 🙁

4. Off topic: is it possible to turn around on a back to back on the A350 Madrid flights – with 1hr 20mins between the flights?

5. OT: First Group taking over West Coast from Virgin in December.

• Michael says:

This is depressing.

• Agreed, it is beyond me why any companies who fail in running a franchise are even allowed to bid to run another.

• It is civil servants who are running the bidding process. It is the same with all government contracts.

• guesswho2000 says:

Very difficult to blacklist a company if they meet any prequal requirements. And prequal requirements can’t just be ‘did a sh1t job once before’.

• Spaghetti Town says:

I seriously don’t understand how the rail network is so awful in this country compared to the continent.

• Lady London says:

Yes but you can incluse a criterion for prequal that will allow you to disqualify them. And if they did bid you could include scoring that could take such issues into account.

6. Is the supermarket available on different supermarkets or once only

7. Optimus Prime says:

OT – when going from Greenwich to Gatwick via London Bridge, can I simply change platforms in London Bridge or do I have to touch out and touch back in?

• Lady London says:

Underground and mainline rail have separate gates for each at London Bridge and if using both you have to touch in/out at each set of gates.

• The Original David says:

Not sure which bit of Greenwich you’re starting from, but have you checked if going via New Cross Gate might be quicker? It’s a lot cheaper because you’ll avoid Zone 1, and you can sometimes save a bit more with the East Croydon Barrier Shuffle.

• Optimus Prime says:

Sorry, I should have given more details.

I mean to get the train from Greenwich railway station (next to the Novotel), 2 stops to London Bridge and then the train from London Bridge to Gatwick (usually departing from platform 4).

I’m asking because if I enter Greenwich-Gatwick in the National Railway website it quotes more than entering Greenwich-London Bridge and London Bridge-Gatwick separately.

• Lady London says:

Some tickets are just like that. see ticketysplit on MSE (it’s been renamed to something else but google should find it and it’s very useful). So it’s not unheard of that a split ticket is cheaper. Just make sure that the train/you actually makes a stop at the split point which is clear in your case.

It sounds like you are all on national rail and not the underground so you should just be able to change platforms. The other poster’s idea about checking out New Cross Gate as a changing point also sounded interesting.

8. Shoestring says:

I thought we already won the argument with targeted (1 t) & focused (1 s)?

You wouldn’t gett the marketing job from me if that’s how you spell them.

9. Norwegian is only cutting its North American routes from Ireland. It will continue its short-haul operations from Dublin to Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm.

10. The Original David says:

Both are correct, so it depends what the HfP house style guide says. Do you have a copy for reference?

• The Original David says:

That was a reply to Shoestring’s pedantry, but an intervening comment has since been removed…

11. Shoestring says:

bit of a van Dyck, though