Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways launches flights to Antalya

British Airways has announced a new holiday route for Summer 2020 – Antalya in Turkey.

The route will operate from London Gatwick.  There will be up to six flights per week – frequency increases as we get into the Summer – with the first flight departing on 30th April.  It is scheduled to run until 29th October although there is always the possibility that it will become a year-round route if successful.

British Airways already runs a Summer-only service to Dalaman from Gatwick and, of course, there are daily flights to Istanbul from Heathrow.

Tickets are bookable now, for both cash and Avios.  A standard redemption is 17,000 Avios off-peak / 20,000 peak + £35 in Euro Traveller and 34,000 Avios off-peak / 40,000 peak + £50 in Club Europe.  Under the current variable pricing trial, you can choose to pay as little as £1 in tax by using more Avios, although this option is not available if using a British Airways American Express 2-4-1 voucher.

To maximise your miles when paying, your best bet is the British Airways American Express Premium Plus card which earns double Avios (3 per £1) when you book at ba.com or via BA Holidays.  You do not get double Avios if you book with the free British Airways American Express card.  Another option is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold which offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.

Crowne Plaza Antalya

I don’t know anything about Antalya, although British Airways says:

“Antalya is often described as the gateway to the Turquoise Coast with some of the most stunning landscapes in Turkey.  The beaches and crystal-clear Mediterranean Sea are perfect for sunbathing, swimming and water sports.  As well as the rolling landscapes and beaches, the region has two-thousand years of history with a range of spectacular temples and Greco-Roman ruins close by, as well as a bustling food and cultural scene.”

The hotel scene looks a bit desperate, to be honest.  The best option appears to be the four star Crowne Plaza – website here and photo above – which is handy for anyone with IHG Rewards Club status or with IHG points to redeem.

PS.  BA giveth and BA taketh away.  This announcement came in parallel with the dropping of Summer services from Gatwick to Gibraltar and Limoges.  The Heathrow service to Gibraltar will continue.

Comments (237)

• Bob says:

Rob, what do you mean by “The hotel scene looks a bit desperate” ?
    There are amazing hotels near Antalya.

• Rob says:

Seems lacking in high end beach resorts is what I mean.

• Bob says:

Well you’re definitely mistaken, I’ve been in Antalya and Kemer area many times. There are lots 5 star of luxurious hotels. Probably best in Europe. Incredible price/performance imho.
        Quick tip: you get best deals on Turkish website; https://www.etstur.com/ , no English option, you need to use Google translate.

• Julian says:

Are Islam and high end beach resorts involving relatively scantily clad or topless western women flaunting their flesh in public (as the assiduous supporters of Islam choose to see it but I don’t) along with their male partners (which Islam would not be worried about being uncovered) actually a directly correlateable concept?

I think Rob’s comment was simply that there were no high end beach resorts rather than that there were no 5 star luxurious hotels near to beaches in Turkey. By that I’m sure he meant there are no resorts in Turkey where beach life is the main focus of the holiday

• Bob says:

Many Turkish resorts are full of tourist, also many Turkish people in that area very open minded.
          South coast of Turkey is full of high end beach resorts. It’s just incredible, the whole cost is full of 5 start hotels. Believe me, I’ve been there at least 15 times.

• Aston100 says:

Given that Turkey is a secular country, you are pretty much talking out of your bum-bum.

• Zara says:

Total nonsense. As I go twice a year these resorts offer excellent service, some with exceptionally quality food and very impressive value for money. The activities including beach life are great. The resorts I visit include beach volleyball, archery, gun rifle shooting, top golf, kids clubs, Aqua aerobics, full entertainment teams, 7-10 quality a la Carte restaurants. Is there anything you particularly like on holidays that they don’t include?

• Aston100 says:

Nonsense.
        Plenty of amazing resorts between fifteen minutes and an hour away from the airport.

• Harry T says:

OT:
    I’ve made six referrals from my Platinum card this year but my online account is only showing four. It doesn’t seem to show any referrals since before I got my new replacement metal card (had plastic one for a couple of months before). Does anyone know if this means I’m still limited to 90,000 total MR for referrals per calendar year, or does changing card actually reset the referral clock?

• Timbo says:

OT: SPG Amex.
    Their IT has been a bit ropey the last few days. First, my monthly points subtotal disappeared from the app, then last night I made a debit card payment which showed up fine and I got the confirmation email. Today, the payment is nowhere to be seen and my balance has gone back up again. The SPG card logo has disappeared from the card selector on the website, only a grey square showing. I know everything will catch up with itself soon, but a bit irritating when stuff like this happens. I wonder if we’re finally getting a new design/rebrand soon?

• Flyer says:

Worse even than the JAL (Global) iOS app, which has a 1.4 star rating

• Big Dave says:

I’ve no doubt the app was outsourced and the IT dept have nothing to do with it other than give them access to the APIs to be ably to query the data