BA sale

Another Scottish castle you can now book with World of Hyatt points!

World of Hyatt partnered with Small Luxury Hotels of the World (SLH) last year.  This allows World of Hyatt members to book SLH properties via hyatt.com, and get exclusive benefits for doing so, and redeem their World of Hyatt points with SLH.

A further batch of SLH hotels was added last week.  It includes Inverlochy Castle near Glenfinnan (home of the ‘Harry Potter bridge’) in Scotland, pictured below.  We actually popped in to this hotel when we were in Scotland in May to see how it compared to the place we had booked down the road – I didn’t realise at the time it was SLH.

There is actually one other UK castle which can be booked with hotel loyalty points – Crossbasket Castle in High Blantyre, near Glasgow which is pictured below.  This is also part of the World of Hyatt / SLH tie-up.

Most people don’t realise what good UK hotels are now bookable with World of Hyatt points via the SLH tie-up.  They include:

• Tylney Hall Hotel, Hook

• The Franklin
  • Flemings Mayfair
  • St James’s Hotel & Club
  • Duke’s London
  • The Academy
  • The Capital Hotel

It’s just a shame that World of Hyatt points are so difficult to earn if you live in the UK.  There are only a modest number of Hyatt properties in major business cities in Europe, there is no UK credit card and they are not an American Express Membership Rewards partner.

News: 'Combine My Avios' broken, welcome Sinead
REMINDER: Up to 10,000 Avios with your household, business or landlord insurance

Head for Points is sponsored by:

Magazine montage

Up to 30% off in Hilton's Winter Sale

Click here to find out more and book

Comments

1. Buying flights on United today – spending approx £1k on Y seats.

Any ways to shave a few % off here and there? CB, etc? Will using my SPG Amex get me any more points?

• No and no – best to use a 0% card if not in £. Amex Gold is 2x on airlines if in £.

• Thanks Rob!

Odd that SPG/Marriott offer a status match over to United but no further tie-up/bonus

• They do, they offer preferential transfer rates. Check your amex cards for a spend anything get something offer today. I got a miserly spend £5 get 250 MR but YMMV.

• Remember to compare the miles you’d earn crediting to United to earning avios through Aer Lingus.

2. Whizz68 says:

OT.
    Hi,
    Does the IHG Free night offer ( stay 2 nights at the Met Hotel Leeds or Principal hotels) reservation need to be for before the 31st October or can I book the 31st October and check out the next day on 1st November?
    Thanks

• Where did you see this offer. I took advantage in January this year and would happily do again.

• I wouldn’t get too excited. I presume Whizz68 is asking about the conditions around the expiry of the voucher earned back in January.

3. Bit of news

Marriott International Inc. (MAR) said Friday that it has agreed to buy Barbados-based Elegant Hotels Group PLC (EHG.LN) for about 100.8 million pounds ($129.4 million).

The U.S. hospitality company, which owns the Sheraton Hotels brand, said that under the offer Elegant shareholders will receive 110 pence in cash per share–a 56% premium to Thursday’s closing price of 70.5 pence a share. Marriott said the offer implies an enterprise value of about $199.0 million for London-listed Elegant, and that this was based on Elegant’s total net debt at March 31 of $68.9 million.

The company said the acquisition will enable it to expand its all-inclusive platform and offer additional leisure destinations.

• Peter K says:

Stayed at Turtle Beach 2 yrs ago (Elegant Hotel near Oistins) and was not blown away to be honest.
      The fact that most of the chefs had no idea about what had gluten in only made it worse. I wouldn’t stay there again.

4. Welcome Sinead and happy maternity leave Anika.

• Mikeact says:

And me….

• Lady London says:

Are we allowed to know how is Anika doing and what did she have ? (boy or girl) will understand if she wants privacy….

• Up to her when it arrives. I know what it is though 🙂

• Or one of (but not limited to) a hundred genders. Perhaps “it” is actually “they”.

• It’s an it AFAIK!

• Everyone should be a “they”.

• Shoestring says:

sounds like you once got stood up by a girl! 🙂

I don’t give a sexuality monkey’s how they turn out as adults – but no way should anybody shape (or make it acceptable to shape) children/ young people into thinking they’re anything other than a boy or a girl at a young age, when most of them are exactly that

society has mostly got it right already, I don’t mean favouring pink & blue, by just letting the kids grow up a bit before they decide on their sexuality for themselves, probably (pretty obvs) at age of secondary sexual characteristics/ adolescence

• Thank you!

5. memesweeper says:

Combine my Avios just worked for me, logged into BA (household) pulled in from Aer Lingus Avios.com.

Just as well as I might need a top up for a redemption later today!

• RussellH says:

Combine my Avios worked for me IB –> BA just now too..
      avios BA has not worked for moths for me.

• guesswho2000 says:

Ditto for me, BAEC HHA to pull from Aer Lingus/Avios.com. Thanks for mentioning this, I’m sure there used to be a restriction with BAEC HHAs which stopped CMA working properly or in one direction, I had to use Avios.com as a mule to shift them around. I’ve now put them all in one place, in case it screws up when I need them!

• memesweeper says:

Absolutely. This direction has never worked for me before! Tried out of desperation…

6. A warm welcome Sinead. And very best wishes for your maternity leave, Anika.

And an O/T thank you to the commenters who mentioned the small pots of Haagen Dazs ice cream in the Iberia lounge at T4 in Madrid. You would have to know they were there to find them.

7. Michael Jennings says:

OT: I now have a “pre-existing medical condition” that I did not have a few months ago. My existing travel insurer – I have an annual policy with Insureandgo – will still provide me with coverage, but at a fairly hefty (£400) additional fee per year. Does anyone have experience shopping around for policies for people with preexisting medical conditions? Who provides good prices? I will pay the £400 if need be, but I would prefer paying less.

• Lady London says:

£400 out. That’s kind of a “go-away” price they’ve given you?

Depending on age I believe Staysure and Age UK have a reasonable attitude to a lot of pre-existing conditions. @Shoestring’s favorite sites often have links too.

• Lady London says:

*out = Ouch. D*** WordPress spell corrector!!

• RussellH says:

I have had a few quotes from Staysure over the last few years – always very expensive.

Luckily we have now discovered a scheme (restricted to those in receipt of certain public sector pensions) that does not load for pre-existing conditions. You just need to be certain though, that your GP does not object to your journey.

• Try LV and Direct Travel Insurance. Suggest you quote fir a hypothetical person with similar circumstances in first instance before getting formal quotes.

• Michael Jennings says:

Okay, a quick check with TravelDirect finds a policy which will cover me for £200 a year. That’s much better. Thanks.

8. On topic. If you initiate the combine my avios from your iberia account pulling from your BA account it works no problem. Just checked this morning for a redemption I wanted to for next week.

9. Apparently getting avois re-deposited after a reward. cancellation is also broken. 3 phone calls to BA and it’s still not sorted.

10. OT: Just received the Tandem card, can anyone confirm whether it works with Curve for all types of payments/transactions without incurring any fees?

• Test it and let us know so we can join in on that one

• Lady London says:

Earlier posters said Tandem has deliberately blocked Curve IIRC

• It worked for me in a supermarket and a “business services” transaction this week with no extra charges.

• I only use tandem via curve, but not tried cash withdrawals since using the hilton barclaycard is more interesting than paying £199 for £200.

• Cash withdrawals are fine. I did get charged fees and interest when I used it with Transferwise though.

11. OT:
    I am going to Canada via Dublin next week.
    On my way back I want to “miss” the LHR-Dub leg.
    I also need to get back to Leeds. If I book the BA flight LHR-Leeds for same day what are the consequences?

• Just to mention I will be traveling handbaggage only

• guesswho2000 says:

The consequences are that you have to fly BA on a UK domestic flight. Seriously though, no consequences, you’ll be fine.