Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

New Aspire lounge at Edinburgh Airport now open

Now that this is open the existing Aspire lounge at Gate 4 will be refurbished in the new year. Once it re-opens, Edinburgh Airport will have two Aspire lounges.

We will be reviewing the new lounge in the next few weeks.  Some early-bird readers have already sent us some photos of the space, however.  The new lounge is in what I understand is a new part of the terminal. It is near Gate 16, on an upper floor next to the new No 1 Lounge which we reviewed here. It looks very classy:

new Aspire lounge Edinburgh airport

There appears to be an extensive range of different seating areas:

new Aspire lounge Edinburgh airport and

new Aspire lounge Edinburgh airport

… although apparently the food is the same as in the existing lounge.

Thanks Allan and Jim.  We’ll do a more in-depth review soon.

The lounge is already available via Priority Pass. You can see more on the lounge website here. It is open from 04:30 until 21:00.

new Aspire lounge edinburgh airport

Getting airport lounge access via a UK credit card

As a reminder, here are the three options to get FREE airport lounge access via a credit or charge card:

The Platinum Card from American Express

Two free Priority Pass cards (one for you, one for your supplementary Platinum cardholder, each admitting two – so a family of four gets in free) giving access to every lounge in the Priority Pass network – search it here.  You also get access to Plaza Premium, Delta and Eurostar lounges.  Our American Express Platinum review is here.

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

You get a Lounge Club card loaded with two free visits to any Lounge Club network lounge – see the list here.  The list is slightly shorter than the Priority Pass list, but not by much.  Additional visits are charged at £20 per person.  You get two more free visits for every year you keep the card.  No annual fee in Year 1.  Full details are in our American Express Preferred Rewards Gold review here.

HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard

You get a free LoungeKey card allowing you access to any property in the LoungeKey network.  Guests are charged at £20 although regular travellers will find it cheaper to pay £60 for a supplementary credit card (adults only, of course).  The card has an annual fee of £195 and there are strict financial requirements to become a HSBC Premier customer.  Full details are in my HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard review.

Comments (116)

• John says:

“ The new Aspire lounge at Edinburgh Airport opened roughly on schedule this week – a remarkable feat given how often such projects are delayed!”

One has to assume you’ve been PR’ed Rob

This lounge was originally scheduled to be open in August 2019. There were a number of subsequent delays thereafter.

In summary, your observations are wholly BS.

• The Original David says:

In the context of opening things in airports, I’d say less than 3 months late is “roughly” on schedule…

• Chrisasaurus says:

“In summary, your observations are wholly BS.”

In terms of observations – the article wasnt written by Rob anyway, so… glass houses and all that

• John says:

Just to put this out here – there are at least two people who comment as “John”

• Froggee says:

Where is the second No. 1 lounge?

• David D says:

Closed and now part of the expansion of the Wetherspoons opposite gates 8 and 9, by the old domestic arrivals exit.

• David says:

Think there’s only one. The old one closed when the new one opened in the new part of the terminal.

• Svotty says:

Been closed for yonks, pretty poor research on this article

• Rob says:

Blame me for that, not Rhys. I edited it in.

• Dan says:

Surely not more than a 15 second bit of research though, Rob?!

• Rob says:

I have been on holiday for 2 weeks so running more ‘skin of teeth’ than usual. Normal service resumes after World Travel Market!

I was actually in EDI in May which is why I thought I was correct!

• BJ says:

If it’s from the insurance or BT broadband you will need to do bacs. So far my bonus has only been an extra 1260 avios due to payout restrictions while I had been hoping for about 24,000 including bonus if everything came through.

• BJ says:

Yes; I added the insurance due to your comment yesterday. BT based on my own experience trying to pay it out yesterday.

• Shoestring says:

I checked out the easy insurances again yesterday (£2-4/ month, 6 months minimum, £100 payout) yesterday and according to the rules in theory you can’t double dip on the same consolidator/ provider combo & trust to get payout (eg going for a repeat on More Than + Beagle St). These rules are often/ usually flimsy & need testing – & whilst waiting 9 months to test it isn’t attractive, £2/ month x 6-9 isn’t exactly a big deal if you are getting life insurance paid for & could get a £100 payout.

• Shoestring says:

I guess so (BS direct) but we’re most of us talking about doing a couple of £100 MTs with different providers, 1 of which might be BS (through MT)

• Anna says:

I’m confused – I’ve had a £100 waiting to be paid out for about 6 months, do you mean this can’t be converted to avios?

• Shoestring says:

depends on the T&Cs when you signed up, I’ve had mixed success

• Jon says:

Yes, if you read the T&Cs at the bottom it lists out all of the non payout options, which now include BAEC (Avios). I had naively always assumed you could pick whatever you wanted as assumed the end company paid for the “boost” eg the extra 25% Avios.

• Optimus Prime says:

OT – Vitality removing BA discounts from 13-December.

• BJ says:

1 November – 15 December according to their own website.

• Dannyrado says:

OT:
    Any news on the ability to book KLM/AF with VS miles?

• Rob says:

Keeps slipping. Looking a bit more like early 2020 now. I saw Oli Byers at the Flybe management conference the other week and he wasn’t rushing to give me a new date (last time he told me September).

• Ammar says:

Ot- any lounge club accepting lounges in AMS I can access on my flight back to bhx with KLM. Read about the ba lounge but and leaving from terminal 2 after a connecting flight from kuwait so not sure can use the aspire ones. Never been to AMS before so advice appreciated.

• David D says:

Likely the only one you can access is the Aspire lounge next to the BA lounge at AMS if travelling to BHX. Follow signs for Lounge 41. Can be busy if a couple of Middle East or Non Skyteam Far East flights are due to depart within 2 hours.

• Charlieface says:

Terminal 2 is only landside. Airside in AMS only has 2 sections, Schengen and non-Schengen (plus a small extra Schengen section, M I think, which has no lounges)

• The Original Nick says:

@Harry, which provider is offering £100 for contents?

• Shoestring says: