The cheapest Australia flights ever are on sale from noon!

EDIT:  Please do NOT comment in this article.  There is another article up which we published at noon – click here – which has the full details and the pricing.

British Airways is not the only airline celebrating its 100th birthday – Qantas is also close to the milestone. The airline turned 99 on Saturday and is offering a special centenary sale this week.

Details will be available on the Qantas website at noon.

100 London – Sydney ‘Golden Tickets’ will be sold for peanuts

The biggest discount is to be had on 100 Qantas Golden Tickets.  These are extremely discounted economy fares between London and Sydney.  If you remember the Air New Zealand Black Friday offer from last year this will sound familiar – I got lucky there and snagged a return flight to Los Angeles for £175.

100 of these Golden Tickets will be released over 100 hours, starting midday today (Monday). Qantas is keeping very tight-lipped on the terms and conditions of these fares – look out for another article on HFP this afternoon, or potentially this morning if we get it in advance.

However, we know what these London to Sydney flights are going to cost (we can’t tell you!) and it is very low.

Whether all 100 are released at noon, or whether they are drip-fed over the four days – and, if so, when – we don’t yet know.  We also don’t know how many seats will be offered on the same flight, how long your trip will have to be (we are assuming that Qantas just sets specific flights on specific dates to the promo price), whether you can mix and match a one way promo fare with a standard fare home etc.

All will become clear later, hopefully.  However, your best chance will probably be at midday today before word gets around.

Centenary Sale fares will also be available

If you’re not lucky enough to snag one of the Golden Tickets, Qantas will also be running a 100-hour sale.

Again, prices are under wraps but you can expect to see fares from London to Perth, Melbourne and Sydney. We are hoping that there will be some good Business and First Class discounts!  Stay tuned for a more detailed look at the sale this afternoon.

What do you get on the A380 Sydney flights via Singapore?

If Qantas is offering good value Business and First Class seats in its sale, you could be in for a treat.

As a reminder, Qantas flies its A380s between London and Australia via Singapore. Qantas is in the process of refurbishing its A380s so you may be lucky enough to get one of the brand-new refurbished ones which we wrote about here. They feature a very classy on-board lounge for travellers in business and first:

Qatnas refurbished A380 lounge

The refurbished A380s have the Qantas Business Suite adapted from their 787s. These feature all-aisle access similar to what Finnair operates:

Qatnas refurbished A380 business suite

Qantas also flies its 787 direct from Heathrow to Perth. It’s not clear whether these sale fares apply to this direct route, although if they do that would be a boon, since this is a very popular flight.

The Qantas centenary landing page will have more details on the sale at midday today.

You should also be able to get the first of the massively discounted 100 economy ‘Golden Tickets’ to Sydney at noon.  More details when we have it.

Review: the Marriott Bonvoy American Express credit card
Review: Starwood Preferred Guest / SPG American Express credit card

Comments

1. Another site is saying that the tickets are being released 20 per day over 5 days, starting at noon today.

2. The Original David says:

I’m confused – Qantas is marking its 99th birthday with lots of “100” celebrations? I know Australians aren’t great at maths, but really?

3. Planning Geek says:

At least their age is more accurate than the fake 100 years from BA

4. Shoestring says:

Won’t be as good as Qantas – but Cathay Pacific currently have Economy returns to Perth, Sydney, Brisbane via HK running at about £610-625 (via Skyscanner)

• Qatar were doing Perth for £575 from Cardiff a few weeks back in economy. It may had been available from the other UK airports but my email preferences are set to CWL.

5. £100/seat by any chance?

• O/T @TripRep: Have you tried Hilton Aberdeen TECA yet? I would like to but grudge giving them an extra £10/night parking out there.

• BJ no, might if there’s a good promo on in the new year. Was actually at the venue a couple weeks ago, massive place, should have had a peek at the hotel then.

• I’ve been tracking it, for a benchmark the rates went down to £47 in the recent flash sale. Obviously not for event nights and weekdays. Having full leisure facilities and a lounge it looks like a great deal for Diamond.

• Lady London says:

The winter sale you referred to a couple of days ago is up tomorrow, @BJ

• Thanks for reminder Lady London. I’ll be looking but not for TECA as I’ve just discovered it is not on the amex offer list.

• Andrew M says:

Or maybe 100 AUD or USD, I assume it’s a worldwide sale.

• In that case I’ll set my currency to Vietnamese Dong.

• They’d lose money on the APD and Heathrow fees

• John, did you see that IHG are opening a Kimpton over by Lumpini Park and a Staybridge in Thonglor?

• Will be similar to air NZ Black Friday deals. £1 fare, they cover all the standard carrier surcharges but governmental taxes and fees payable. Therefore total cost was £175.

I expect Qantas will do the same.

£1 or £100 fare. They pay surcharge leaving you to pay genuine taxes

• Not that cheap.

6. OT: 1,000 bonus avios for spending £100 or more direct with British Airways on my BA blue this morning. First 50,000 customers to save only and targeted. Recently downgraded from BAPP and have put all my spend over the last month and a half on the gold.

7. Nate1309 says:

That gold logo is nice

8. O/T

I spent over well £250 (after euro conversion) (at Hilton Amsterdam 4 weeks ago and still my £50 off 250 hasn’t posted, anybody else still waiting for there credit to post ?

9. OT, Does anyone know of anything like seatspy for Delta flights? Looking to take advantage of the £4 oneway flight back from LAX to AMS or CDG next year.

• Andrew M says:

The Delta site will let you look at a month at a time so isn’t too oainful. I was looking at the same routes over the weekend. If you’re using Virgin miles, availability didn’t match exactly, even for the cheapest Delta redemption flights.

• Yes I am using Virgin Miles. 80,000 points must be the available seats with Virgin Miles redemptions in Delta One?

10. OT as no bits:

1) Referred hubby for gold card last Monday and he was approved instantly and card arrived a few days later. Referral points not showing yet. Cause for concern? I think a week is normal from what I remember but never had instant approval before for either of us so the points normally arrive before the card does. If you contact amex when they don’t appear, how long do they normally take to post?

2) Any news on whether the MR transfer bonus to Marriott is targeted or for all? I have screenshots from chat saying I am eligible, but not sure if hubby will be on new card (unless he asks!)

Thanks

• 1. Dunno, but referring hubby is totally allowed so no reason you can’t claim them if they don’t appear

2. Amex never got back to me, despite promising to. I will chase.

• Thanks Rob. Needing the referral points for a Marriott points advance reservation in Feb and the conversion bonus would help with that!

• I got conflicting information from amex chat on whether the Marriott bonus was targeted. I don’t think they are too sure themselves

• Had not been targeted. Did it last week and received bonus immediately.

• Immediately? Wow.

I was told I had been targeted by Amex chat – haven’t received the bonus yet.

11. The cheapest I managed to get was 10 years ago, when they were running some Ashes promo, and had few hundred tickets on sale for £215. The only dates that were showing for me at this price, had me on the ground there only for 36 hours. Still, couldn’t resist the price and went with it. Had a long conversation + secondary interview with immigration/border control in SYD, as they were suspicious of my 1 day visit from London with hand baggage only.

• Andrew M says:

Maybe the Australian immigration officer thought ther’s no way anyone would travel so far just to see their side thrashed by Australia?