Bits: Who won our 1 million Monese Avios?, Heathrow Express cuts Avios rate, 3000 Avios from Avis

News in brief:

Who won 1 million Avios in our Monese competition?

Back in September we ran a competition in association with online bank Monese to win 1 million Avios.

I apologise for the delay in announcing the winner.  Monese wanted to be the first to announce the names, so we had to wait until they had published their blog post.  The winners – there were six in total, of which Head for Points was allocated a guaranteed slot – are here.

The HFP winner from that list was Daniel G.  He wrote to me two weeks ago to say:

“I entered the Monese Avios Millionaire competition via the HFP code a few months back and was lucky enough to win – The Avios dropped into my BAEC account today!  I’ve been subscribed to the site for a while now and find the info and tips you write about really informative – I enter competitions all the time but I have literally never won anything, till now.”

He also asked for tips on spending his stash 🙂

Well done Daniel, and thank you to everyone who entered.

Can I earn Avios on Heathrow Express?

Heathrow Express halves the Avios earning rate

I’ve no idea when this happened, but at some point in the last few months the Avios earning rate on Heathrow Express tickets has been halved.

You now earn 5 Avios per £1, instead of the previous 10 Avios per £1.

As a reminder, there are two ways to earn Avios by taking Heathrow Express.

The first is to collect Heathrow Rewards points on online bookings. This is a rewards currency offered by various Heathrow services, including duty-free shopping, and can be easily transferred into Avios (or many other frequent flyer currencies). You earn 1 point per £1 spent and these transfer 1:1 into Avios.  This article explains more about Heathrow Rewards.

The second is to take advantage of a special Heathrow Express / Avios deal

To take advantage of the Avios offer, you need to book your ticket in advance via this special Avios / Heathrow Express link.

The promotion is significantly more generous than earning Heathrow Rewards points and converting them to Avios, even after the Avios rate was halved.  You now earn 5 Avios per £1 spent.  There is only one snag – you cannot use other promotional codes or book (cheaper) Advance Purchase tickets via this route.

If you are booking an Advance Purchase ticket or taking advantage of a package deal such as Duo Saver for a couple travelling together, the only reward you can claim is Heathrow Rewards points.

When choosing your means of travel from Heathrow to London you should consider what fits best for you. This article (click) outlines the various ways you can save money on Heathrow Express – including some non-Avios promotions – which may save you more money than the Avios collected.

Iberia Avis promotion

Earn 3,000 Iberia Avios from Avis car rentals

Iberia Plus is running a promotion with Avis which is more lucrative than you get by crediting rentals to British Airways Executive Club.  It only runs for another two weeks though.

Avis is guaranteeing a minimum of 3,000 Avios for a 4+ day car rental.  The restrictions are:

You must book a Group C or higher car

Your rental must include a Saturday night

Rentals must be completed by 15th December

There are no country restrictions, either in terms of where you must live or where you are renting.

You will receive at least 700 base Avios (3 per €1 spent, minimum 700) plus a bonus of 2,300 Avios, to give you a guaranteed minimum of 3,000 Avios.

You can find out more on the Iberia / Avis website here.

ENDS MONDAY: Win 10,000 Avios by voting in the HFP Travel & Loyalty Awards 2019
FOR NEW AND EXISTING USERS: Get 5,000 Avios or other miles with a Rocketmiles hotel booking

Comments

1. Harry T says:

OT: Car hire in Australia
    Trying to book a one way car hire from Sydney to Melbourne so we can explore the East Coast in March 2020. Car hire is pricing up as £250 -£400 for only three days or so. Any tips to lower this? I’ve added Platinum CDP to Hertz etc but it’s still very expensive. Budget competitors also pricey.

• Harry T says:

If I try and book Hertz rentals in Australia when logged in, it tells me all the vehicles are sold out. If i log out, multiple vehicles pop up. Hertz is amazing.

• Hi Harry T – had the same issue back in Sept for a three day rental from Sydney airport with one way drop off (city centre.) prices were crazy. I wanted Avis given status. Prices direct were sky high, and even via BA, Autoeurope etc. THEN I managed to find an amazing deal, booking via the Qantas site. It was about half the cost – I was billed £119 ultimately.

I may have been lucky, but hope that helps.

• Harry T says:

@DaveL that’s a brilliant, thanks. I’ll check the Qantas site because my flights are with them and I just joined their FF program.

• Nick Burch says:

Try Jucy? They often have more reasonable one-way fees in Aus.

The other option is to skip the car, and take the train. A Discovery Pass – https://transportnsw.info/tickets-opal/regional-tickets-fares/discovery-pass – will let you take any NSW TrainLink Regional train or coach for a 14 day period. Make your way down stopping off where you want

2. rams1981 says:

OT Ambassador benefits. Anyone have experience of using in Boston?

• rams1981 says:

Should say Intercontinental

• If you’ve got lounge access at BOS, the new BA lounge is extremely pleasant; if you’re there at the right time you can watch the sun set over Boston Harbour through the huge windows.

• Bernard says:

A really great IHG property. We redeemed points for our stay. Contacted the hotel via email in advance. Got an amazing Harbour view room and negotiated a good rate for daily lounge access. Staff in lounge are really top draw. Great for breakfast and snacks throughout the day

3. Avis are doing the £9.98 one way repositioning deal again.

“It sounds too good to be true but really, you’re doing us a favour. We often need to move cars from one area to another to ensure we always have cars available for you. If you need to get from any of the selected locations across the North and the South to London or Manchester Airport then rent from us and only pay £9.98 – this way we both win!

Offer subject to availability. All other standard rental charges will still apply. Saving available at selected locations and date exclusions apply. See full terms and conditions below.

Offer bookable from 05/11/2019 until 22/12/2019
    Offer valid for rental pick up from 16/12/2019 until 23/12/2019. ”

• Shoestring says:

couldn’t find anything down in Cornwall—>LHR (admittedly only looked for 10 mins!)

• I tried booking a one-day one-way rental from Worcester to Heathrow with Avis and the offer IS too good to be true. It wasn’t 10 pounds but “no cars available”. Instead I had to book a two day car rental and only then are cars “available”. I called Avis and the branches can block short term car rentals from time to time which seems to be happening in this case.

4. OT has anybody seen the HSBC 25% bonus work yet?
    It said it would work on the 1/12/19 on the pdf that was put out a few days ago on this site but it has not come on to my online banking yet.

5. Charlieface says:

Check your profile settings include or exclude insurance as applicable and what is the preferred car size.
    To get it cheaper try switch the country between UK and AU (make sure to switch after logging in or it will switch you back) also using points is usually good for one ways.

• Charlieface says:

That was a reply to Harry T

• Harry T says:

Thanks, I read your superb article too. Would you recommend taking off all the insurance and car preferences? I have Amex Plat for insurance.

I don’t have more than a handful of points. Is there a way to acquire them?

• Charlieface says:

It depends how they would price it if you weren’t logged in. For example in the EU insurance is mandatory for residents, I think Oz is the same, therefore it’s cheaper with insurance anyway. Check the logged out prices first, then change your profile to match.

6. rams1981 says:

OT just saw my BA flight delayed by 1 hour 40 mins to Boston. That doesn’t lead to much comp if any I assume? Annoying as now lands 11pm local time.

7. Esso £50 offer.
    When using it tracking on your amaex?
    Could you also use it at a Morrisons in an esso for double offer?

8. OT – due to add the 2nd leg our 241 booking in the next couple of days.

The outward leg is in first class – any reason I can’t call the 24 hour ‘You First’ number, rather than the US/Japan? Does anyone have any experience of this?

9. Shoestring says:

Ryanair £5/ seat sale https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/plan-trip/explore/cyber-week-9

I think Rhys needs to go somewhere for a tenner return

10. OT: Accidently found myself in a dog-friendly Hilton this weekend. Had to be moved three times. Never realised such hotels existed which is a bit surprising given the number of people who own dogs. Got nothing against dogs but I don’t want to stay in a hotel with loads of them again so will be looking out for that in future reservations.

11. Rooster says:

Rubbish company wouldn’t accept my application for whatever random reason