New BA Amex offer – get 3,000 bonus Avios for £300 of British Airways spend on your card

A good new offer should be showing on your British Airways or British Airways Premium Plus American Express card.

If you spend £300 or more at ba.com between registration and 16th February, you will receive 3,000 bonus Avios.

For clarity, this bonus comes from American Express, not British Airways.  The bonus Avios will be added to the ‘pending Avios’ showing on your online American Express statement and will be transferred over as part of the monthly sweep into your British Airways Executive Club account.

1000 Avios with £100 British Airways American Express spending

The offer is limited to the first 50,000 people to register.  This is quite a large number, clearly, but there are a lot of cards out there and I imagine BA or Amex will do an email over the next few days.  I recommend you register now, just in case.

I don’t know if the offer itself is targeted or if all BA Amex cardholders have it.

You need to visit the American Express website here, log in and navigate to the statement page for your British Airways American Express card.  The promotion should show under the ‘Offers’ tab at the bottom of the screeen.  It should also be possible to register via the ‘Offers’ section of the American Express app.

1000 Avios with £100 British Airways American Express spending

Here is the small print – don’t get caught out:

Your transaction needs to be made at ba.com.  There is no mention of transactions booked via the call centre counting.

You can only earn the bonus once although supplementary cards would be OK if the deal appeared on the ‘Offers’ page for that card.

Your qualifying spend needs to be in Pounds.  If you book a flight which starts outside the UK, it is likely that it will not be priced in Sterling and so will not qualify for the bonus.

Your payment must be made directly with your American Express card.  You cannot use an aggregator such as PayPal, which recharges a transaction to your BA Amex.  You CAN use Apple Pay or similar.

Whilst not mentioned in the small print, historically this has been a cumulative offer so the £300 does not need to be spent in a single transaction.  This makes sense, because if you buy multiple tickets from British Airways in one booking, each person is charged individually to your American Express statement.

For clarity, if you buy Avios via this page of ba.com, it will NOT trigger the bonus.  ‘Buy Avios’ transactions are handled by an intermediary called points.com, and it is points.com that appears on your credit card statement.

Learn more about the credit cards mentioned above

Here is the legally required interest rate information on the credit cards mentioned above, together with links to our detailed reviews:

British Airways American Express – sign-up bonus of 5,000 Avios when you spend £1,000 in three months – apply hereour BA Amex review is here – representative APR 22.9% variable

British Airways American Express Premium Plus – sign-up bonus of 25,000 Avios when you spend £3,000 in three months – apply hereour BA Amex Premium Plus review is here – representative APR 76.0% variable including fee based on a notional £1200 credit limit, interest rate on purchases 22.9% variable

What happened at the Head for Points Winter Party? (And how much money did you raise?)
What is the best replacement for your Starwood Preferred Guest American Express (SPG Amex) credit card?

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. The four BA sectors needed for Silver status – do reward flights count or cash fare only?

• Cash only, however all BA flights count, even a short domestic hop.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Cash and points work also.

• Genghis says:

To clarify:
          – Part Pay with Avios reduces the cash price of an underlying cash ticket by you effectively selling avios. This counts towards eligible flights.
          – Avios and Money reduces the avios price of an underlying avios booking by you effectively buying avios. This does not count towards eligible flights.

• BA codeshares count, and IB flights count – unless they are redemptions

2. rams1981 says:
    • Shoestring says:

true

cash + part pay with Avios would be fine as well (but not RFS Avios + Money)

3. Purchase must be on a flight…can’t spend £300 with BA purchasing Avios

• As Rob pointed out, avios are sold by a different company – but flights, hotels, car hire etc booked via BA.com will work for the offer.

• Mikeact says:

Offer Terms do not state flights only. I’m just about to book two car rentals over £500.

• Shoestring says:

are they cancellable / full refund?

• Mikeact says:

Yes, not that we intend to cancel…. we’re going…to the Durban coast and heading North!

• Shoestring says:

cheers might give it a whirl

• If you book them as a single booking (if it’s 2 cars on 2 separate dates/locations), you can do it as a BA holiday, using the “customise my trip” facility.

• Harry T says:

Just spend it on two M&S sandwiches and a bottle of water off the on board trolley.

4. Patrick says:

This is not showing up on my BA AMEX offers, so it must be targeted. I have a BA holiday to pay off, so could easily pop £300 on my card.

5. Not showing on my card unfortunately.

6. BTW, Amex told me yesterday Avios are currently not posting from BA Premium Plus cards to BA accounts owing to a software hitch. Mine already a week late

7. I haven’t had any offers on my cards come through recently. Right now I have one offer across 3 my cards, anyone know if there’s a way to change this?

• ThinkSquare says:

That’s bizarre. There are always about 50 offers showing on my card (even if most are completely useless to me). Perhaps you should speak to Amex?

I have the BA offer. Sadly I paid off a £3k holiday last week 🙁

• Happened to me a while back. Complained to AMEX, said there’s nothing they can do as the offers aren’t a guaranteed benefit of card membership. They did start appearing again shortly after, so maybe worthwhile giving them a shout

8. Hi, All last year i used a similar Offer (£100 spend) but i spent through BA Shopping and it triggered the offer no prob

9. I have a BA Holidays booking (Flight + Hotel) that I’ve only paid the deposit so far. If I was to spend an extra £300 against the remaining balance does anyone know if this will trigger the bonus?

• Shoestring says:

yes / see thread

• Ok many thanks – I saw the comments that Hotel + Car + Flights count however as mine is already an existing booking I didn’t know if it would still be valid by paying off an additional £300 on the remaining balance?

• Yes, I now tend to wait for an offer like this before paying off any booking in full!

10. chris1922 says:

Dammit ! I just paid £600 car hire on BA last week ! : (

No other BA bookings in the near future.

11. O/T – First Direct Mortgages…does anyone have any experience of paying either their monthly required payment and/or any overpayment via debit card? thanks

• FD only accept mortgage payments from a UK bank account, I have tried this! It’s a pain as we have £80k outstanding mortgage with them but the interest rate is so low it’s not worth moving it. If you have any finance with Creation, however, they seem to accept any (non-Amex) form of repayment.

• Shh

• On that note we plan to relay our outstanding mortgage end of this month (yipeee- mortgage free before 45). It’s around 23K- anyway of earning points?
          It’s with Santander…. I have most of the major credit cards

• I think the only thing you can do is sign up to something non amex like the Virgin Atlantic card (but you’ll be limited to your monthly credit limit) or use the trick of one of those cards that let you top up in the PO using a Amex card, but this has to be done at a max of £200 a month or they will close your account afaik.