British Airways launches extra flights to Cape Town, St Lucia and Cancun

By an amazing coincidence, one day after Virgin Atlantic announced its new route to Cape Town, British Airways has announced an extra Cape Town service.

There will be an additional two flights per week from London Gatwick to Cape Town, starting on 10th January.

This takes the number of weekly British Airways flights from London to Cape Town to 19, on top of the 14 BA flights to Johannesburg and the three weekly services to Durban.

British Airways launches additional Cape Town flight from Gatwick

This is not necessarily overkill, because Cape Town was a route also served by Thomas Cook before its demise.  It is possible that both BA and Virgin can make a success of their flights, although the lack of full fare Business Class traffic – as opposed to leisure travellers in flat beds on £1,750 sale deals – may prove to be an issue.

British Airways also announced two other frequency increases yesterday:

St Lucia gains an additional flight on Wednesday and Saturday.  No dates were given, but the implication is that the service will simply continue to operate nine times per week when the Summer timetable ends in October, rather than dropping down to seven as it does usually.

Cancun gains an additional weekly service, on Sundays, from 6th December.  This will take the number of weekly flights up to six.

Both of these routes operate from London Gatwick.

It isn’t clear where the aircraft are coming from to operate these new services.  BA has some flexibility due to the arrival of additional A350 and Boeing 777 aircraft and the ability to flex the retirement of the Boeing 747 and older Boeing 777 fleet.

PS.  If you missed it, take a look at our recent article on the top 10 reasons why I think you should get a British Airways Premium Plus American Express credit card.

American Express launches a new spend bonus to earn extra points
More British Airways tier-point earning flights as Alaska Airlines joins the oneworld alliance

Comments

1. rams1981 says:

So not just me who got no offer at all?

2. Thanks Rob, I’ve got the offer saved – a respectable target to hit of 2k in March for the 1500 point bonus. Should do doable if I move all my spending across.

3. Anttelli says:

I’ve had 3000 Points for £1600 spend on my Amex Rewards card!

4. SultanOfCroydon says:

I am offered a 1500 MR bonus for a £5900 spend.
    Funny thing is I would have done it If the Monese PO route still worked. However, the blabbermouths on this forum had to openly talk about it and the route that worked for many years is now dead…….

5. OT: AFVALDAYUK gers £50 off a long-haul Air France booking. Valid until 28 February.

6. maccymac says:

OT-ish… Do Amex offers stack? Have the £80 off when spending £800 or more with QR and 1500 MR points for £1800 spend on PRG and was thinking could possibly kill two birds with one stone.

7. OT: HPPYVDAYEC gets £40 off your next economy class ticket with KLM.

8. Quick poll: FlyBe goes belly up before the 1st May bank holiday? Yes or no? 🙂 Considering booking a flight with them the first weekend of May.

9. memesweeper says:

O/T does anyone know is there a bonus clubcard pay out for new pet insurance still?

• memesweeper says:

… and if there’s a minimum qualifying policy

• Think it’s until end of March. It’s not valid on the minimum cover, it needs to include illness.

• The Original Nick says:

Harry will be the one to ask that question. I’m waiting on my 2500 Clubcard points to hit before I cancel because Bagpuss has been given away.

• Shoestring says:

yep still good https://www.tescobank.com/pet-insurance/cfm2500 6000 Avios

minimum Standard cover which means including basic illnesses, you can increase excess to max to bring down cost, try 18 month female spayed/ vaccinated moggy cat lives in house etc

chance to double dip, if it works worth another £56

10. When will BA load the LGW flights to Cape Town into the system?

11. Paul Sowden says:

I got 800 for £500

I was pleasantly surprised as that barely covers my every day spending, but will encourage me to use my gold card instead of my BA Amex