British Airways cancelling flights to Northern Italy due to coronavirus

Yesterday we ran a long article summarising the latest British Airways and Virgin Atlantic travel policies on coronavirus.

It was partly out of date before it went live, as the Italian Government published a law on Saturday night to place a quarter of the country under quarantine.

As of Sunday evening, British Airways has cancelled for Monday:

all flights to Venice

10/11 flights to Milan

the one flight to Bergamo

This is the new BA guidance for anyone with tickets to Italy.  I ran this in a separate article yesterday but wanted to repeat it here for the benefit of our email readers.

That said, if all flights are now cancelled, the guidance doesn’t make much difference!

Here are the rules:

Rules apply to anyone travelling to Milan, Venice, Turin, Bergamo, Bologna, Verona

If you are booked for travel until 4th April, you can rebook for free for dates up to 31st May

You can also request a diversion to Zurich or Geneva

Here is the new bit added during Sunday:

Anyone with tickets to Milan, Venice or Bergamo for travel by 4th April can now request a full refund

Radio 4's 'File on Four' covers toxic aircraft cabin air quality
Weird but true - Hilton hotel non-refundable rooms ARE refundable in the US!

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Shoestring says:

in other news, my MIL’s home country is now generally banning hospital visits from relatives for a precautionary Covid-19 period (I think if they’re on death row you get an exemption/ allowed to visit)

so my wife is now torn between not spending enough time with her mum in hospital (in another country), paranoid about getting Covid-19 on the plane, but maybe getting there on the weekend then being denied access

• How badly ill is MIL? I know it’s far from ideal, but is video calling an option?
      I’m sorry Shoestring (and Mrs Shoestring).

• Shoestring says:

thanks Cat – she’s over the immediate bad bits after her stroke (which was her 4th) as luckily it happened in public and they quickly got her to a hospital and she had a stent fitted – but whilst the immediate stuff has retreated (couldn’t move one side of her body/ couldn’t speak clearly) & she can move again, she seems to have gone quite loopy, maybe partly the stroke & probably the drugs are playing a big part – so she thinks she’s been put in in a care home against her will (it’s a hospital) and that people are trying to kill her etc, she must escape etc

she’s 87 and has had a good life, but this is all obvs very worrying to my wife & could go on for months (or longer) yet

• Does it matter if you do Morrison’s transaction are regular checkout or self service? I’ve noted that some of the comments here refer to self service…

• mark2 says:

I have done them on self service and got statement credit and Virgin points show as pending.

• TGLoyalty says:

No difference in getting discounts or miles it’s just no odd looks or made up “rules” from person at a till.

• Lady London says:

Can she not just go and stay there and reduce the risk?

2. Clive says:

Vietnam have cancelled entry to UK Citizens. Mandatory 14 quarantine on arrival https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Vietnam-halts-Europe-visa-waivers-as-nation-s-virus-cases-double

3. The wording of of the lounge snag is somewhat misleading. You can bring multiple guests in but you have to pay £20 per person. You don’t necessarily need your spouse to have a supplementary card especially if he/she is not using the lounge more than 3 times a year.

4. “The airline industry does not reveal how often fume events happen, but according to some estimates they occur every day on airlines worldwide”

all you have to do is look at Avherald and anybody can see just how scarily often fume events happen !

5. My BA flight to Turin has been cancelled.
    Am I entitled to compensation under EU law?

• Lady London says:

If flight is in less than two weeks, possibly, technically, currently.

Personally I would not claim compo, since it’s clear it was out of the airline’s control due to wider events. I do not think claims will ultimately succeed for compo in these circumstances and anyway I think it would be in poor taste to claim as it’s clearly not their fault.

On duty of care I personally would only claim if stuck somewhere and unable to find myself for the length of the delay.