British Airways cancels BA1, London City to New York, and Beirut

The A318, ‘all business class’ British Airways flight from London City Airport to New York JFK may have met its match.

The last flight (for a while) will be Wednesday 25th March, allowing British Airways to escape its EC261 compensation obligations by cancelling more than 14 days in advance.

In theory, the flight is set to return in September and tickets can still be purchased for the Autumn.  Nothing is certain, of course, and we may have seen the end of it.

Of course, when I reviewed the flight last year I titled the first part “Review: Should British Airways scrap BA1, the ‘all business’ London City to New York service?“.  I felt that the lack of property IFE and the 2×2 open seating was no longer good enough.  The extension of Global Entry meant that the ability to clear immigration in Shannon was also becoming less of a draw, and Crossrail will soon make Heathrow a lot nearer to Canary Wharf.

BA1 A318 interior view

British Airways drops Beirut

Talking of dropping flights, British Airways has dropped – permanently – flights to Beirut.

This is not linked to coronavirus, and indeed the cancellation does not take effect until 12th May.

As it happens, this is exactly the same time that British Airways gets back 12 daily slot pairs from Flybe.  Beirut uses an ex-BMI A321 short-haul aircraft, albeit with proper business class seats, and this aircraft could cover a number of short-haul flights in the Flybe slots.

The economic situation in Lebanon has been troublesome for some time and it appears that the volume of passengers is no longer there to make the route viable.  Royal Jordanian will remain a oneworld option via Amman.

BA A321 business class

Donald Trump blocks flights from Europe to the USA
Review: Is the ebookers BONUS+ loyalty scheme worth joining?

Comments

1. Shoestring says:

completely O/T and make up your own mind – so I decided to go for half a position with this year’s ISAs, should get today’s closing prices, somebody asked me to mention it when I went for it

not bothered aboutn finding the absolute bottom as this is for the medium term – if it falls much further I have half a position left in reserve to even up & go forward a bit earlier

• Shoestring says:

then we have another ISA position each in 3 weeks’ time if needed

• Lady London says:

Ta wow just seen your graph. I fear Mr T has just made a bad thing worse by plunging the old Western world into recession Europe first.

Btw was it a person with first name s you dealt with at the other place? I have started talking with them and that’s who I landed. quite impressed.

• I expected prices to drop so sold the shares in my Isa; they have dropped over 25% so far.

• Shoestring says:

get the timing right to go back in & you should have done great in a few months’ time

• Mr Boring says:

serious note – and i say this as a big Shoestring comments “fan” (!) – Shoestring are you authorised to give investment advice? Just be careful as I know (as someone who is authorised and regulated by the FCA), that a lot of your posts in relation to this are on the edge (it doesn’t matter if you say “make your own mind up” – that will make no difference to the regulator and you are talking about regulated markets and you know people are listening to what you are saying intently)

• Shoestring says:

OK comment taken on board – thanks old buddy

• Shoestring says:

gives the old Shoestring wrist a big slap – no more investment stuff from me, I’m not qualified to give any investment advice, not that I ever tried to do that! 🙂

• Lady London says:

What is a ‘position’ or a ‘half position’?

• Shoestring says:

meaningless – just what you are prepared to punt on a single opportunity, or half thereof

obvs you need to think about many opportunities & spread your punts widely

2. Easyjet dropping the changes fees

• Lady London says:

Not seeing it on app or website? Not had an email? Are you ahead of us in knowing? While they’re not releasing next season it’s a pressure cooker.

Dear Ali,

Given the unprecedented situation we’re all facing as a result of Covid-19, we wanted to provide an update on what this means for any travel plans you may have with easyJet.

We will continue to operate a flight schedule that ensures that those customers who still wish to travel can do so, where travel restrictions allow and in line with guidance from health authorities.

However, we understand there is uncertainty around travel at this time, so if you currently have a booking with us but would prefer not to fly then from tomorrow (13.03.2020), you can now change your flight online and we will waive the flight change fee. This applies to all existing and new bookings until further notice. Should there be a difference in fare you’ll need to pay this – however by waiving the change fee, we want to ensure you have more flexibility to amend your travel plans.

• Lady London says:

Ok just for everyone it’s just come out by email.

3. Lady London says:

@Shoe you’ll enjoy this – it’s now called #iorestoacasa. Got 2 emails from there today both signed off with this. The Italian government say they will prosecute those who disobey.

After two weeks the first locked down area has no new cases

#iorestoacasa

• Shoestring says:

I am worried about Io resto a casa as I have no intention of doing that if I make it out

my garden is 500m from my casa

might have to do it at 5am

4. Malaysia Airlines have launched an “Ultimate Flexibility” policy, which basically seems to boil down to: book before March 31st (new and existing bookings), for travel up to December 31st, and get the option to make unlimited changes to date or destination, with no charges other than any fare difference, or take an earlier flight on the same day (“Go Show”) for no extra cost.

Details at https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/campaign/ultimate-flexibility.html

5. PETER B MUDGE says:

I am due to fly from JFK to London LHR on BA 0174 on June 2 2020 and return from London LHR to JFK New York on BA 0113 on July 2 2020. If i wish to cancel due to the Corona Virus problem am i able to be given a refund for future use.I paid for the ticket using Avios and a Visa Credit Card for$558.07 I am quite happy for a Voucher for the cash payment. Would my Avios be refunded to me also. I intend making this trip within a year from the above flight times. i have been with British Airways for many years and am in the Executive Club #51692767 My booking reference isKGTIFU
    Yours Sincerely,