Coronavirus: Oman, Norway, Cyprus and Czech Republic block UK travellers

Three more countries have placed restrictions on UK travellers tonight due to coronavirus, which effectively means that they are off-limits to most of us.  This is on top of the Czech Republic which announced restrictions earlier today.

Cyprus

From Saturday, the United Kingdom will become a ‘Category 2’ country due to the spread of coronavirus here.

This means, should you choose to fly from the UK, you will be subject on arrival to:

Self-isolation under telephone monitoring at home or premises to be suggested by Health Ministry (restrict close contact and movement, keep basic rules of hygiene and monitor and report symptoms to  the call centre 1420) for 14 days”

Cyprus attempted to move the UK into Category 2 earlier this week but had to pull back after consternation from the local travel industry.  The Government clearly believes that it now has no choice.

Reference article here.

Oman stops issuing tourist visas from 15th march coronavirus

Oman

Oman is suspending all tourist visas for one month from Sunday 15th March.

All cruise ships have been banned from visiting, all sports activities have been curtailed and cinemas will be closed, amongst other measures.

Reference article here.

norway closed due to coronavirus

Norway

Effective immediately, all visitors to Norway from outside the Nordic countries will be quarantined.

Most attractions, ski resorts, and venues are now closed, and most activities and events are cancelled.  The ban will run until at least 26th March.

Reference article here.

Czech Republic bans travellers from the UK

Czech Republic

The Czech Republic will close its land borders to travellers crossing from Germany and Austria at midnight on Saturday (ie Friday night) as it struggles to deal with coronavirus.

The country will ban travel to and from 15 countries seen as posing a high risk of infection.

The list includes the UK, Italy, Sweden, Norway, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Denmark, Switzerland, China, Korea and Iran.  The only exceptions will be for foreigners with residency in the Czech Republic and to cross-border workers.

Reference article here.

What are the top 10 reasons to get the American Express Rewards Credit Card?
Coronavirus: Czech Republic bans travellers from the UK (plus 14 other countries) from Saturday for 30 days

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Alex M says:

What if I plan to travel to one of those countries for 3 days only? Will I still be allowed in?

• That is not how it was put to those of us waiting in the departure gate at LGW when called for the BA flight to Dubrovnik earlier this morning (We were due to spend 5 nights on points at the Hilton Imperial.) On numerous announcement the BA member of staff, as more of the passengers arrived, stated that due to the Croatian Government’s decision yesterday that travellers from countries including the UK, would be required to self- isolate for 14 days, if we wished to board the aircraft we should have that in mind. I am unsure if the wording was such from BA that they were not cancelling the flight or preventing us from flying but if we’re did, we couldn’t go anywhere over there and be housebound.
        Discussions that ensured regarding, if passengers would actually be allowed to leave the airport, get taken to somewhere of the authority’s choosing or if were would be prevented from leaving due to closed boarders meant that all but a handful of what appeared to be nationals, decided to not board and we proceeded to go through passport control and baggage reclaim before getting a taxi back home.
        I have contacted Hilton customer services to see if I will get my points back but they are waiting for a response from the hotel. I have still to get through to BA regarding my flight and car hire refund. Im Amex Platinum and am hoping to be able tho get my £70 traxi fare re-imbursed as well. My thoughts are that no travel tho anywhere in Europe will soon be the case and will be in place for quite a while. I just hope I can get my money and points back at the moment.

• So sorry to hear Olly.

The official policy was enacted quite late yesterday, but came into proper effect today as there were no flights from UK that late I believe.

Fingers crossed you get everything back!

• Also even Croatian nationals have to self-isolate! It’s not based on nationality.

• This is the nightmare position that many of us may find ourselves in over the coming weeks – no FCO advice against travel but a quarantine restriction for travellers from the UK at the destination country. If the airlines play hardball and continue running flights then voluntary cancellation by passengers means no refund or insurance cover.

• That is the view I am currently holding, that BA and thr insurance companies will state that the passenger is the one who cancelled and forfeited any comeback. The reality being the passenger had no option with the possibility of being trapped in a country that had closed its borders.
            P.S. @meta I appreciate it included national’s but I presumed they have homes in which to self isolate and does not affect them in the same way as a tourist.

• Colin MacKinnon says:

Remember that there is a broad principle in insurance:

The insured must do everything to minimise their claim.

So there is a really strong argument here that by deciding not to take the flight, you were reducing the insurance company’s liabilities for extra accommodation and a rebooked return.

In other words, you were fulfilling your duty to minimise the claim.

• You will get all your points back no matter what, everyone is very flexible with cancellations anyway but worst case scenario you will be charged 1st night room and tax (5 nights reservation so probably SRR, current rates in Dubrovnik are lower than ever).

Weather is great and was a nice trip, so sorry this happened to you.

2. I’m wondering if anyone is in the same boat and can give some advice. I fly to Bali with Qatar on Thursday 19th March, but fly into Oslo Wednesday 18th March, stay at an airport hotel and leave the next morning. I have no intention of heading anywhere but the hotel and leaving the next morning. Will this still be honoured?

• Everyone arriving in Norway from areas outside the Nordic area (Scandinavia plus Iceland) must enter a quarantine at home, even if they don’t have any symptoms. The quarantine order is retroactive, which means that government officials who were on foreign trips will be quarantined as well, including King Harald and Queen Sonja.

• As an update I’ve phoned the Embassy, who were wonderfully helpful 🙂

Apparently they don’t know if I’d be allowed to stay / leave or deported on touchdown. Sadly looking like the only option is to cancel.

3. Sri Lanka now imposing restrictions.

4. Anthony Edwards says:

e-visas for Azerbaijan are suspended for 45 days. May not affect many others but affects me 🙁

5. Just got my Prague flight with BA refunded. Hoping that Eurostar and Hotels.com change up their policies.

• Eh? Hotels.com emailed me yesterday, all bookings are refundable (not sure what the cut-off was).

• Daniel says:

Strange, I’ve had nothing from Hotels.com advising bookings (pre-paid/non-refundable) can be cancelled for free.

Wonder what BA will do if one of my upcoming flights has to be cancelled, was booked with OnBusiness points the day before they were due to expire; so guess I’d have to look at rebook later in the year rather than cancel which is a bit of a pain but better than losing them altogether I guess.

• Peter K says:

I had a hotels.com email but it did not say all hotel bookings are cancellable. It only mentioned about restricted travel to the US.

6. Len Freeman says:

What a nightmare! Due to fly to Cyprus tomorrow on a British Airways holiday. Within a short time of checking in FCO confirms arrivals on the island will face two weeks quarantine. Now in limbo. Ring BA and just get told they are too busy to answer the call. No reply to my direct message to them on twitter either. Now they email me urging that I check I will be able to enter the country and call them if I have a problem. Call them again only to be told again that call volumes are so high they can’t deal with me. I see holiday companies like Tui have simply cancelled their holidays to Cyprus. No doubt BA will still fly there with hardly anyone on board and say no refund as the flight wasn’t cancelled. I can’t even change it because I can’t get through to anyone.

7. You are heading to the North Len?

• Sharron says:

Hi Clive,
      We are travelling to Northern Cyprus for a 2 week self catering holiday in April, a bit worried now as to what will happen to us if we go, will we be allowed to go shopping, if we have to self isolate for 2 weeks.
      I’m only asking you a s you asked Len if he was going to the North.

8. I’m due to fly AMS to Oslo In 3 weeks, spending one night in a hotel and then flying to Oz. If I read this correctly – I will be quarantined or not let in. Do I just wait and hope things change. Any advice welcome? It’s so typical it is the first time I have booked a Qatar flight.

• Shoestring says:

you read it right, ie on arrival they will ask you to return to your home country (I don’t think quarantine is an option for you either)

shame it’s not possible to move the next day flight forward as transit passengers are allowed

• Waribai says:

Where did you read that transit passengers are allowed in Oslo? Does it have to be on PNR?

• Waribai says:

Thanks…..So my mid-April OSL-DOH-BKK run could be on!

• Thanks, I can potentially move the flight to Norway forward a day but will be risky with a same day flight if the first leg is cancelled. Also they are on separate tickets and I am not sure KLM will check my luggage all the way through.

• Shoestring says:

life is full of risks

ordinarily nobody would recommend a shortish transit but here it might be worth it