Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Save 50% on a ‘My 1st Years’ British Airways child backpack!

Last Summer we did a couple of pieces on the My 1st Years mini backpacks that British Airways was giving away to children passing through Gatwick and Heathrow as part of #BA100.

My 1st Years is also selling them directly to the public.  You get FREE personalisation which is a nice touch.

Half price British Airways backpack

In what is presumably a coronavirus-induced sale, the cost of the backpack has been reduced by 50%At just £12.50 they are very good value indeed, especially as your childs name can be added on for free.  Delivery is a flat £3.95 irrespective of how many you order.

My 1st Years British Airways backpack

You can order one for a child in your life via this page of the My 1st Years site.

Comments (37)

• Yorkieflyer says:

Importantly it seems as though the plat insurance does include medical cover for corona virus on new trips. Many do not eg Nationwide. I was going to cancel my plat, now reconsidering

• TGLoyalty says:

I may be reading it incorrectly but all of the FAQ and wording is about cancelling your trip not medical cover, I would phone to confirm.

If the FCO advise against all travel there is no medical cover for anything if you travel and if it’s against all but essential travel then you’re only covered if a 3rd party is convinced it was essential.

Once there’s no FCO advice against travelling I can’t see how any medical cover will exclude it. Do they do it now for other infectious diseases or viruses? Malaria etc?

• yorkieflyer says:

Nationwide on their annual cover now exclude all cover for trips booked post 18 March for Corona Virus. Amex on the other hand apparently do provide medical cover unless travelling against FCO advice.

• TGLoyalty says:

I know but I read that as for travel disruption cover but NOT medical (medical is already excluded for FCO reasons)

I’d be amazed if they can exclude a single virus from their medical cover, if others are already excluded then the medical cover is useless anyway. (I have full medical cover for all travel via work so I only ever looking at the disruption stuff)

• Tony says:

I booked flights on my BAPP Amex card at the start of Jan but also hold a Platinum AMEX card (personal).

Am I right in thinking if we can’t travel owing to FCO restrictions, I am covered by Amex plat?

Thanks

• TGLoyalty says:

Yes as long as you book with any amex you are covered

• tony says:

Brilliant.

I booked some local flights at the other end with a different card, but I guess I can swallow that!

• Andrew M says:

If tha agent or airline that you booked the local flights with doesn’t accept Amex, you can still claim.

• SpainByAmex says:

Anyone know if Amex will cover costs of booking early return trip from overseas due to FCO imposing “do not travel there” halfway during a trip? It doesn’t appear to be covered based on my reading of the Axa insurance policy but just wondering if anyone had real life experience? I booked my trip to Spain in January and went in early March but had to return early on 16 March due to announcement of lockdown and change of FCO advice.

• Mike says:

Still some unclear language in the Amex FAQs.

It says that, in order to be covered for trip cancellation (even if the flight is still going), you must observe the following:

“2. You have already contacted your airline or travel provider to change dates or arrange a
    refund or to receive a travel credit and have been unsuccessful. The insurer will require
    proof of this as part of your claim.”

How does this work, as a practical matter? If the flight is still scheduled to fly, but the FCO advises against all but essential travel (as they currently do), and the fare is non-refundable, but (like BA) the airline offers a voucher (“travel credit”) which I don’t want to take, does that mean the insurer won’t pay up?

Also, as an aside (apologies if this has been asked and answered on another comment thread): where in Amex’s Platinum insurance policy does it say that cover is extended to instances where the flight is still scheduled to fly but the FCO advises against all non-essential travel?

Currently, the document on the Amex site limits trip cancellation cover to:

1. Accident/death/illness (of yourself, someone you’re travelling with, someone you’re visiting during your trip, or a relative of any of the above);

2. You being made redundant;

3. You being called to jury duty or subpoenaed as a witness;

4. Damage/theft at your home or business premises; or

5. A significant delay on the outward journey (limited to a number of circumstances).

Pandemics/epidemics aren’t covered (unless you’re affected as per (1) above), and neither is the typical scenario where insurance cover would come in handy, i.e. when the flight is still on (so the airline isn’t under an obligation to refund) but the FCO has advised against travel. By contrast, the HSBC Premier insurance explicitly provides cover for this.

• Jebk says:

Anyone any experience with either airline failure or points bookings on amex plat insurance? They’re bing evasive about it on the phone.

Airline failure isnt excluded from the terms, so I assume it’s covered (but it’s not included either). We’ve a virgin redemption in September, which we paid the taxes on the amex. Would cancellation cost cover a revenue fare to replace or just the taxes we paid?

• Rob says:

It is possible – but no one is sure – than Section 75 would allow this. However, that means nothing to you because Amex Plat is a charge card and not a credit card, so you are reliant on Amex goodwill instead.